Reach-a-Mail

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.

Should I add Reach-a-Mail to the database?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 5

technicolordreamcoat

Reach-a-Mail

#1 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

Reach-a-Mail is a USB based portable email client. From now on, your e-mail will always be with you no matter where you are. All you need is a USB drive to receive and send e-mail from any computer without the need to install any software.
You save a lot of time thanks to Reach-a-Mail, as well as keep your e-mail correspondence private leaving nothing in a computer. You will be impressed by the easiness and simplicity of user’s interface. Reach-a-Mail is a USB based portable email client for active and mobile people!
License: Freeware

Download/Screenshots:
http://www.smartpctools.com/portable_email/index1.html

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Sneaky, sneaky. A comment was posted after I added this entry to the database.

Apparently, when you double-click on an email to reply, it inserts an advertisement right at the top of the new message, before the quoted message. Granted, you could remove it manually, but this smells so heavily of adware!

I will wait a day and remove this app from the database tomorrow. If you have any violent objections, speak now, or forever hold thy peace.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Out of curiosity, what is the nature of the advert... what I mean is, is it a small text based tagline or some massive flashing neon HTML monstosity? If it is the former, I would argue that most web-based email accounts do the same, so it isn't that big of a deal.

However, in the grand scheme of things, I'm extremely happy with DreamMail thus far, so I won't be using Reach-A-Mail anyway...

Bottom line, I couldn't care less if R.A.M. gets permanently erased, I just have a morbid curiosity. :twisted:

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

It's a two-liner text-based thingy, inserted right at the top of the message.

Yeah, it's kinda like the text-based ads inserted by Yahoo Mail.

Hmmm, any other opinions?

To me, it's like an image editor or processor that always add a small watermark in the images that it saves. You may be able to manually remove the artifact, but it's very annoying.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have decided to temporarily remove Reach-a-Mail from the database, and run a poll to decide whether to add it back later or not.

Ennovy

reach-a-mail 2.8

#7 Post by Ennovy »

I tried this email client after reading the review at
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... Mail.shtml
According to them it's 100% clean and contains no malware.
About the little ad: I sent a message and this is the ad:
--------------

You can't believe it but I have just sent you a message from a simple USB flash-card without any software pre-installed! It's amazingly easy. I recommend that you try it now - it's free!
www.smartpctools.com/portable_email
This ad can be removed easily before sending the message.

The app is small, portable and easy to use, although i don't like the interface.

Midas

Re: Reach-a-Mail

#8 Post by Midas »

Topic update: product homepage is 404.

As this is expressly referenced in TPFC's FAQ page, maybe another example should be found.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote:Topic update: product homepage is 404.

As this is expressly referenced in TPFC's FAQ page, maybe another example should be found.
Midas, I couldn't find this in the FAQ page (or in the database at all). Could you point me to the right place?

Thanks!

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

So sorry about that -- it's not in the FAQ, it's in the site "About" page in fact, near the end... :oops:

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote:So sorry about that -- it's not in the FAQ, it's in the site "About" page in fact, near the end... :oops:
No worries, though I think this topic is still valid even if the app is gone. I linked to this topic because it discusses the thought process and motivation behind the decision. It's not really specific to the app. The same thought process could be applied to another app.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Great! 8)