USB Grabber ---- I'm scared to plug in my drive anywhere now

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
grannyGeek

USB Grabber ---- I'm scared to plug in my drive anywhere now

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

Saw this today on Addictive Tips.

I know these kinds of apps have been around a while, I just never thought about them much. But this blog post reminded me that there are places out there with booby-trapped computers just hoping to slurp up your data when you plug in. :shock:

guinness

Re: USB Grabber ---- I'm scared to plug in my drive anywhere now

#2 Post by guinness »

This is why it pays to look at techniques of encrypting the data on the USB Drive.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

It's the other way around... the article says "Copy Data From PC To USB Or External Hard Drive Silently"

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I would like it if this program would (by default) only update to a *specific* flash drive, rather than copying to just anything someone happens to plug in. Unless its backing up an encrypted volume, that seems problematic. Oops I accidentally connected my iPod just to charge it and now its full of stuff that shouldn't be on it. Ugh.
I am Baas wrote:It's the other way around... the article says "Copy Data From PC To USB Or External Hard Drive Silently"
True, but I never though of doing that (a malicious USB-to-PC version). I'm sure it exists.
guinness wrote:This is why it pays to look at techniques of encrypting the data on the USB Drive.
Agreed.