Add function implemented

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
CodesAway

Re: Add function implemented

#91 Post by CodesAway »

guinness wrote:

Code: Select all

Well, since guinness is giving a plug for his stuff, mine as well do a plug for mine.
I was plugging the software I have added to TPFC not my created software :) Your programs look useful, shame that it's Java!
I know you were plugging software on TPFC. Sorry, I hope it didn't come off as rude, that wasn't my intent.

Why is it that so many hate Java?? Is there a better language which I should be looking into using, because I've heard many complaints over the years.

guinness

#92 Post by guinness »

I know you were plugging software on TPFC. Sorry, I hope it didn't come off as rude, that wasn't my intent.
No way, I didn't want other people who read your message to think I was the developer of the software (though I wish!)

Thanks chadross and joby_toss for pretty much confirming my additions as being portable :-) and CodesAway for bringing outstanding additions to the attention of TPFC.

webfork

#93 Post by webfork »

> Score 0: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1640 7 pdfmaker - Entry needs editing

I updated the entry just to clean it up a little bit so its not super ugly but what is the deal with this program? The web page (in what little English is present) says its Freeware but "the accountant" put it up as shareware.

> Score 0: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1711 Zamzom Wireless network tool - Entry needs editing
> Score 0: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1712 Explorer Plus - Entry needs editing

These both need A LOT of editing by "the accountant" before they should be accepted. This is just bad.

Also: Thanks to guiness for bringing this up.

guinness

#94 Post by guinness »

Also: Thanks to guinness for bringing this up.
You're welcome. It would be cool to do this every 6 months or so to address what deserves to be in TPFC database. I must confess that I will have to limit my testing and additions at some point.

webfork

#95 Post by webfork »

CodesAway wrote:Why is it that so many hate Java?
If you produce Java software, please make one that is fully portable similar to XMind http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1732.

Although some of us have our feelings about both, collectively this is neither a pro nor anti-Java / .NET web site.

chadross

#96 Post by chadross »

guinness wrote:So I have tested the following and added comments, with the .NET I didn't test because I don't have .NET on my test XP machine. If your application passed congratulations!

Score 2: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1545 CatchColor - Writes settings to Registry
Guinnes, what settings did you find written to the registry that were not OS related?

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't know how I missed those.

guinness

#97 Post by guinness »

I selected 'Options' on the taskbar icon, changed some settings and it wrote to the Registry. I tested on XP.

I tested again!

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\Bitmind\CatchColor
HKCU\Software\Bitmind\CatchColor\Settings
HKCU\Software\Bitmind\CatchColor\Settings\Color Type	2
HKCU\Software\Bitmind\CatchColor\Settings\Hexa Format	0

guinness

#98 Post by guinness »

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't know how I missed those.
Just saw your edit! Developer is still active so maybe they would be open to suggestion? I updated the entry to V1.0.9

joby_toss

#99 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:> Score 0: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1640 7 pdfmaker - Entry needs editing

I updated the entry just to clean it up a little bit so its not super ugly but what is the deal with this program? The web page (in what little English is present) says its Freeware but "the accountant" put it up as shareware.
The normal version is freeware while the portable version is shareware.
See my screenshot here.

CodesAway

#100 Post by CodesAway »

webfork wrote:
CodesAway wrote:Why is it that so many hate Java?
If you produce Java software, please make one that is fully portable similar to XMind http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1732.

Although some of us have our feelings about both, collectively this is neither a pro nor anti-Java / .NET web site.
I agree, I'm all about 100% portable code and software.

I wasn't worried about the feelings of the individuals, but more so the weaknesses of the language. I presume that people dislike Java for a reason. If it's because Java programmers can't code, then I just won't make that mistake :D. However, if it's something inherent into the language itself, I'm always looking to learn new languages - find the best tool for the job kind of thinking.

As for what I code, as of now, truthfully, I've never actually created an application - I'm a library developer - I develop tools to make the language more powerful / easier to use. For example, the links I shared aren't programs, but rather Java libraries which extend the standard library.

For my own learning, in the case that I ever do want to write an application, how would I ensure that the program is portable?

I presume that Java can't write to the registry (since that's a Windows only thing, and Java is all about "write once, run anywhere"), so I don't see that being a problem.

The only thing I can think of is that some may use the "user.home" System property vs the "user.dir" property for the directory when saving the program's configuration. The former saves it in a directory which is user dependent - for example, "C:\Users\UserName" on Vista. The latter saves it in the same folder that the JAR is located (aka the Application folder - portable). I would hope that the developer includes this as an option somewhere in the application - to allow both portable (single profile) and multi-profile (not portable) use.

Apart from these, what other portability concerns should I (and other Java developers) look out for? Thanks.

computerfreaker

#101 Post by computerfreaker »

Part of the problem, IMHO, is that it's partly hidden for people with small screens. Take a look at these three pics (I can't use the img tag, so I've posted the links instead):
Andrew Lee wrote:Thanks for pointing this out! I will try to fix the screen layout so that the buttons will not be hidden on smaller screens.
Looks like you've got it working perfectly!
Check out the new screenshot: http://i40.tinypic.com/25uqryr.png

Thank you!

webfork

#102 Post by webfork »

CodesAway wrote:Apart from these, what other portability concerns should I (and other Java developers) look out for? Thanks.
Unfortunately I'm not a developer although at some point I'll hopefully learn Java and be able to address problems like what you describe.

Hydaral

#103 Post by Hydaral »

In order for people to know that we have added an app to the database we have to post to the forum with a link to the apps entry in the DB. ATM that seems to be happening in the "Portable Freeware Submission" forum, should that forum be left for people to post about apps they want evaluated, and a new forum be created so we can let everyone know when we have added a new app?

"Portable Freeware Database Additions"?
"Portable Freeware New Applications"?

guinness

#104 Post by guinness »

What happened to http://www.portablefreeware.com yesterday?

Andrew Lee

#105 Post by Andrew Lee »

There was some backend migration at my VPS host, and the HTTP service didn't start correctly after that.

I only discovered it after I woke up in the morning, and worked feverishly to fix the problem.

Sorry about the downtime.