What is best anti-virus software for computer protection?

Any other tech-related topics
chrisssteeven

What is best anti-virus software for computer protection?

#1 Post by chrisssteeven »

Hi..
I think Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 is best for protection of your computer.I have also this software.Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 features Antivirus for IM ,Gamer Mode,iSwift technology adjusts scanning to compensate for system load,URL Advisor for proactive browser security.

carbonize

Re: What is best anti-virus software for computer protection?

#2 Post by carbonize »

If you are going to pay then NOD32 is probably the best anti virus followed by Kaspersky. For free there are four main competitors and they are AVG, Avast, AntiVir and Microsoft. Never been a big fan of AVG and Avast has failed me in the past as well as allegedly having terrible trojan detection. AntiVir is what I use on my laptops and is one of the best but Microsoft's Security Essentials is a pretty good anti virus as well.

fpelletier

#3 Post by fpelletier »

Zone Alarm has long been considered the best-of-breed for antispyware, and antivirus. It fell out of favor for a short time because they had been using the Computer Associates anti-virus engine. Once that had surfaced, they acquired the Kaspersky engine and rose to the top again. In addition, it includes monitoring at multiple layers of activity on the computer, including the zero ring--the level at which the OS relates to the hardware through drivers. If you look at the Zone Alarm Internet Suite, it is a comprehensive suite that includes (but is not restricted to) antivirus, antispyware, firewall, protection for email, IM, phishing, and protection against rootkits. It now includes heuristics to protect against dubious behavior from strains that it doesn't yet recognize through the definitions because they are too new.

This package even ranks favorably against Symantec, and McAfee, both of which are enterprise-level favorites. It is about $50/yr to cover 3 machines. My only caveat here is that this package is extremely flexible, robust and powerful and contains many screens to help tweak and configure Zone Alarm to your liking. If you aren't security savvy, you will be. In the meantime, you will be secure.

carbonize

#4 Post by carbonize »

Compares favorably to Symantec? Symantec became a bloated pile of trash years ago and McAfee isn't far behind it. I personally wouldn't trust any anti virus that is not included in the Av Comparatives test list. There are so many people out there that make firewalls and are now bundling in an attempt at an anti virus so they can call it a suite that it's untrue. Comodo is another that made a good firewall and then decided to make an anti virus as well and man did it stink.

Best anti virus and best security suite, at present, is Eset.

fpelletier

#5 Post by fpelletier »

Well Carbonize, although I share your disdain for those two products, I mentioned them because, by an extreme margin, they unfortunately remain the enterprise-level trusted security product champions in the U.S.A. and that is not an opinion.

As far as the Av Comparatives list, I have never heard of that list until you pointed them out--thank you for that (I will add them to my research sites). Unfortunately, it only addresses anti-virus products which is only a piece of the puzzle. And, they aren't very comprehensive. Just because a product isn't listed on the site doesn't mean anything. It only means that they didn't include it. It is no reflection on the viability of the products. In fact, the site is Austrian and they don't appear to be aware of a lot of the U.S.A. born products.

I just revisited a respected site that now puts even my product in jeopardy but puts yours even further down the list. This site clearly points to the leaders and verbosely discusses why. (Matousec) The only caveat with this site in my opinion, is that some of the products that are included in the results may not have been tested recently. So in reality, the results may not be completely accurate.

I once tried Comodo because it was (and still is) rated favorably. It turns out to be a bad idea. I contracted a russian (bratsk) rootkit through that security suite and could not uninstall the suite. Only after much searching did I find verbose instructions to follow...YUCK!

noclone

#6 Post by noclone »

Kaspersky is the best anti-virus software I have used and It protect my online bank account from fishing and help me kill the virus automatically.

But, it will slow down the computer , especially at the start time.

carbonize

#7 Post by carbonize »

noclone wrote:Kaspersky is the best anti-virus software I have used and It protect my online bank account from fishing
I find that using my brain protects me from phishing sites and is far better than relying on a piece of software to do so.

-.-

#8 Post by -.- »

i like avira for free av, and nod32 (av only) for paid one

kas might be nice, but nod32 works just as well for being an antivirus program but runs quieter and lighter on system