TreeLine - much more than an outliner!

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
BigD

TreeLine - much more than an outliner!

#1 Post by BigD »

How I've missed this application before I'll never know!

TreeLine is much more than the usual 'TreePad' kind of outliner: it can store and format different datatypes for each node - like a "proper" database manager. Also, it has a wide variety of import/export options, one of the most useful being for Mozilla-type bookmarks. Takes a bit of reading to understand all its options, but when you get the grasp of it, it seems uniquely powerful.

TreeLine is well-documented and is available for both Linux and Windows from: http://www.bellz.org/treeline/index.html

To install portably under Windows, use Universal Extractor to extract the folders from the installation .exe file to a folder of your choice. Then run lib/treeline.exe, and its settings will be stored in lib/treeline.ini. RegShot indicates that no changes are made to the registry when TreeLine is installed this way.

There are also some very useful Sample files provided - see the menu option File/Open Sample and the files in the folder 'doc'.

portable-freak

#2 Post by portable-freak »

I have used MemPad for quite some time now, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot :)

FlightGeek

Treeline

#3 Post by FlightGeek »

It registered the .trl file type in the registry. :(

BigD

#4 Post by BigD »

@FlightGeek

Did you install it via the method I described or did you run the downloaded .exe file?

Using the Universal Extractor method did not register the .trl extension on my system (Win 2000).

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

Quite a unique program, I must say. Haven't seen anything like it before.

dot

#6 Post by dot »

Yeah, it sure looks interesting, but I wonder whether I have the nerve to work that one out. I've started reading, every day, a little of the help page. ;-) Hope, it pays off!

sproaticus

#7 Post by sproaticus »

How does this compare to NeoMem?

flector

#8 Post by flector »

With all due respect to the portablefreeware people, an application that requires using Universal Extractor to be portable... isn't.

Yucca

#9 Post by Yucca »

flector wrote:With all due respect to the portablefreeware people, an application that requires using Universal Extractor to be portable... isn't.
It certainly is less convenient to have to extract the files with Universal Extractor, but I don't see why that would make a program non-portable.

By that logic, any program that comes compressed in a zip or rar volume and has to be extracted before being installed would have to be considered non-portable -- and that would eliminate a ton of great portable apps.

Yucca

Darkbee

#10 Post by Darkbee »

flector wrote:With all due respect to the portablefreeware people, an application that requires using Universal Extractor to be portable... isn't.
Universal Extractor merely facilitates getting to the files (by bypassing the need to perform a setup, copy and uninstall procedure), there is no magic involved that allows it to transform a previously unportable application into one. I fail to see what the issue is.

smaragdus

Re: TreeLine 3.0.2

#11 Post by smaragdus »

TreeLine version 3.0.2 does not work in portable mode- the developer has confirmed that, hopefully the problem will be fixed in the next version. For the time being version 3.0.1 can be used- it works fine in portable mode. Meanwhile I managed to offend the developer calling version 3.0.2 "complete disaster".