Listary

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Jacob125

Listary

#1 Post by Jacob125 »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Listary program thread. View database entry]

----

Listary 0.96

Introduction: An application that enhances your file browsing experience

We are used to select an item from a list by typing the content, but it’s not very convenient in fact. First you need to type very quickly, if you stop for about one second, you have to restart from the beginning. The worst thing is that you don't know what you've typed, and you cannot fix typos.

Listary solves all the problems by providing an edit box to you. What's more amazing is that Listary is not just enhancement for a specific program, but for the whole system. So no matter what program you are using, Windows Explorer, file dialogs (open/save), Task Manager, 7-zip or FileZilla, when you need to select an item by typing, Listary will help. It also provides some very useful advanced features, such as autocomplete, mask search and commands.

License: freeware for personal use

Homepage: http://www.listary.com

Download: http://www.listary.com/download/Listary.exe

Operating System: Windows XP/ Vista/ 7 (64-bit supported)

How to make it portable: Listary writes options into a .ini file, so you just need to copy all the files in the application directory with you :)

Please help spread the word if you like it, thank you.

joby_toss

Re: Listary

#2 Post by joby_toss »

This is portable and very useful if you use windows explorer.

But I, for example, use FreeCommander and it has a very nice Quick filter box that even supports wildcards.

I think we should add it to the database.
Any other opinions?

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Yeh it should be added!

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Very impressive. When opened task manager to look at how much RAM it was using, I laughed when the program helped me find itself.

Amazing little tool -- I'm impressed someone put together something so broadly useful in Windows and disappointed that Windows didn't already have this.

RAM use is 2.8 megs, uncompressed the program takes up 831k.

Jacob125

#5 Post by Jacob125 »

joby_toss wrote:This is portable and very useful if you use windows explorer.

But I, for example, use FreeCommander and it has a very nice Quick filter box that even supports wildcards.

I think we should add it to the database.
Any other opinions?
In addition to Windows Explorer, it supports almost all the programs which have a list, such as file dialogs (open/save file dialog), Task Manager, Registry Editor, 7-zip, FileZilla. So, I personally think this nice piece of software would help everyone :D

Onesimus Prime

#6 Post by Onesimus Prime »

This is pretty phenominally not working for me--in the General tab of the Options window, "Always show Listary on Windows Explorer" and "Always show Listary on file dialogs" are both grayed out. The only place it works is on the Desktop. (That includes the "/" key to call the entry window.)

I'm running Vista Enterprise, SP1. Any ideas, guys? I've tried both extracting and install-and-move.

Someone whose copy is working--what are the contents of your .ini file?

Thanks!

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Onesimus Prime wrote:Someone whose copy is working--what are the contents of your .ini file?

Code: Select all

[General]
IgnoreCase=1
RefreshTime=500
ShowOnDesktop=1
[Display]
Opacity=80
PositionType=1
FromTop=-1
FromLeft=-1
FromBottom=5
FromRight=5
[Tips]
Tip1=0
[Blacklist]
Count=0
winxpprosp3x86

Jacob125

#8 Post by Jacob125 »

Onesimus Prime wrote:This is pretty phenominally not working for me--in the General tab of the Options window, "Always show Listary on Windows Explorer" and "Always show Listary on file dialogs" are both grayed out. The only place it works is on the Desktop. (That includes the "/" key to call the entry window.)

I'm running Vista Enterprise, SP1. Any ideas, guys? I've tried both extracting and install-and-move.

Someone whose copy is working--what are the contents of your .ini file?

Thanks!
I sent an email to the author about the two grey options, and he said that they are for some really old versions of Windows in case Listary cannot show itself automatically, so I guess they have nothing to do with your problem.

Make sure you set your input focus (by a simple click) to the right pane (the file list) before typing something! Listary is an enhancement for lists :-)

If it still doesn't work, just drop an email to the author (support#listary.com), he replies my emails quite quickly.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Onesimus Prime wrote:This is pretty phenominally not working for me--in the General tab of the Options window, "Always show Listary on Windows Explorer" and "Always show Listary on file dialogs" are both grayed out.
Windows Enabler (portable) might help.
Windows Enabler allows the user to enable disabled windows and controls such as buttons and tick boxes and choose menu options that would normally be disabled.

Tertius

#10 Post by Tertius »

Running XP SP3 and getting an error message.

Listary.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SHGetKnownFolderPath could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll.

I do not have a modified SHELL32.dll, so I am confused what could be wrong. Does Listary replace the standard shell32 dll with a modified one?

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Important point:
  • Right click the task bar icon
  • Select "Options"
  • Choose the "General" tab
  • Uncheck "Show Listary on desktop" and "Start LIstary when Windows starts"
---

@Tertius: not having that issue -- don't know what could be causing that.

Tertius

#12 Post by Tertius »

This program doesn't work in XP as is. According to msdn the dll which exports this function is found in Vista and later. Not sure why the developer says it is for XP.

freakazoid

#13 Post by freakazoid »

Hmm... this program doesn't do anything for me.

I'm trying to activate the window by opening Windows Explorer to a folder with lots of files.
I'm on Windows XP SP3 with the same config as joby_toss.

No error messages though.

Am I doing something wrong?
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

But it works here! On winxpprosp3x86!
Could it be .net dependent? I do have .net 3.5 sp1 installed.

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

OK, I used Universal Extractor to extract the installer, I presume the Hook and Listary files label with 1 are 32bit and 2 is 64bit. Could someone confirm if this is correct.
Hook,1.dll
Hook,2.dll
Hook32.dll
Listary,1.exe
Listary,2.exe
Listary32helper.exe
Also I installed and copied to another location and it worked, but when I simply extracted and renamed the appropriate 2 files, nothing happened.