How do you update your Portable Collection?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

How do you update your Portable Collection?

#1 Post by guinness »

So far I have asked: What tools do you use to test Portability? & What Software do you use for Submissions?, both receiving an interesting incite into unknown applications.

Everyone who is active here must have a system of keeping their Portable Collection up to date. There is nothing more annoying than finding you don't have the latest and greatest application in your database.

How
I used to keep a text file of the applications I have with their version number then I would take a couple of hours going to the developers site and checking the online version number with the text file version.
I then decided to install an addon for Firefox called UpdateScanner to monitor any changes to the developers website, but this proved annoying because sites that contained ads would be flagged too.

How it might be done.

1. RSS Feeds - PortableFreeware, FileHippo, FreewareFiles, FileForum, AppNews
2. WebVersions
3. Manually going through Bookmarks and checking against a custom list of applications.
4. Ketarin (if you like .NET)
5. WebMon
6. Subscribe to the developers E-Mail List.

So whats your method?

Note: I am not concerned with applications that show changes for installed software e.g. FileHippo or AppSnap because these can't be configured to analyse your custom Portable Collection.
Last edited by guinness on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chadross

Re: How do you update your Portable Collection?

#2 Post by chadross »

I'm currently using WebVersions; however i'm thinking of taking a look at Ketarin as it looks a little more polished and all the machines i access have .NET installed.

-.-

#3 Post by -.- »

i like cleansoft's updatenotifier

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

But 'CleanSoft's UpdateNotifier' is only good for installed programs.

One day I will get around to entering the apps into Ketarin, but for now WebVersions is far easier to handle.

-.-

#5 Post by -.- »

the cleansoft update thing picked up my portable apps as well :S
well a few, like pidgin and some media players anyways

normally I use the built in update function for portable apps... or if i remember to check, but if program works fine, im ok with not updating till i see something to remind me of updating it :D

fpelletier

#6 Post by fpelletier »

I have about 1200 (+/-100) applications on my portable drive now. I used to keep up with updates. As the collection grew, it became obvious that keeping it current was foolish. Therefore, I adopted the current discipline: My applications are grouped by purpose into folders and every app has its own folder with the version number included in the folder name. Included in the application folder is yet another folder that I call "Snitch" as it is unique and "tells" me where the app came from. In that folder are two files: 1) the link that I dragged from my browser while I was on the download page that I got the app from, 2) the web archive "mht" of the feature page of the author's site that I compiled using the browser "File-->Save As..." function (this saves the web page complete with images all intact--even the links still work) so I have it even when the web isn't available.

As I have many of each program type such as image editors, a quick glance at the mht files shows me which editor is most appropriate for what I need at the moment. Then, I look at the app's folder name for the version number. I go to the snitch folder and click on the link to the download webpage. Then I check the latest version of the software against my folder name. If they are not in sync, I download the newest version, overwrite the original, and update folder name to reflect the new version. I only do this as I use the programs...sometimes the version is similar and I don't feel like updating it. It is just a matter of discipline. It works for me. :mrgreen:

fpelletier

#7 Post by fpelletier »

Incidentally, here is an example of the file structure:
Power & System Utilities
....Archiver (7-Zip 4_57)
........Snitch
....Archiver (Peazip_portable 2_2)
........Snitch
....CD Writer (Deep Burner 1_9)
........Snitch
....CD Writer (ImgBurn 2_4_1_0)
........Snitch

The grouping is "Power & System Utilities". Within that there are archivers and CD writers. Notice that the actual program names and versions are included in parenthesis. Although the O/S will support periods in the version numbers, I chose to use underscores.

MiDoJo

#8 Post by MiDoJo »

RSS Feeds For me :) (also secunia security reports will often inform me of a new version that is out to fix a flaw in an older version, ESP Browsers and eMail Apps)

tproli

#9 Post by tproli »

I update ocassionally, when I have the mood or when I bump into a new version that offers a new feature that is worth updating. I always make a backup of the old version (burn to a disc).

opsimathic

#10 Post by opsimathic »

My method is really simple - I check this website daily! I find there are enough other people tracking and posting changes to keep me adequately up to date. It would be a shame to waste all their hard work! :lol: Sometimes, I also check portableapps.com but mainly this site serves just fine.
/opsimathic

Masterbrowser

#11 Post by Masterbrowser »

It would be great if this site (via login) would give you an overview of all portable applications and give you the ability to select the applications you use. And/or give you the ability to select you use the application at the application entry/description (for example next to the thumbs up/down).

Then, when you download a certain version, it would store the version number in the database (and you can manually select the version you have downloaded, in case you reverted back to an older version).

As soon as there would be an update for your application available it would show it in the overview page (preferably via RSS) and/or email you.

It would be even better if your portable application menu could query the database (automatically at startup or manually) and show at the application entry that an update is available.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be great! :D

m^(2)

#12 Post by m^(2) »

How?
Rarely.
It takes me too much time to be done systematically. And if it ain't broken, I usually don't touch it.

MiDoJo

#13 Post by MiDoJo »

Masterbrowser wrote:It would be great if this site (via login) would give you an overview of all portable applications and give you the ability to select the applications you use. And/or give you the ability to select you use the application at the application entry/description (for example next to the thumbs up/down).

Then, when you download a certain version, it would store the version number in the database (and you can manually select the version you have downloaded, in case you reverted back to an older version).

As soon as there would be an update for your application available it would show it in the overview page (preferably via RSS) and/or email you.

It would be even better if your portable application menu could query the database (automatically at startup or manually) and show at the application entry that an update is available.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be great! :D
:shock:
do you realize the amount of programing that would have go into that? ? ? poor andrew ;)

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

As an example if it was implemented the problem I can see is some applications I use aren't hosted here (for a good reason of course, they write to Registry.) So I would still have to use WebVersions to monitor those applications.

Masterbrowser

#15 Post by Masterbrowser »

@MiDoJo
MiDoJo wrote: :shock:
do you realize the amount of programing that would have go into that? ? ? poor andrew ;)
I know, I did not say that it is not a lot of work. It is just an idea (I think a good one) and maybe (hopefully!) someone will pick it up and do something with it. Or people can build on the idea and make it even better. I hope something good comes out of it. Next to this maybe there are some good programmers here that have the time and are willing and able to help Andrew, that is, if Andrew would like to set something like this up.

@guinness
guinness wrote:As an example if it was implemented the problem I can see is some applications I use aren't hosted here (for a good reason of course, they write to Registry.) So I would still have to use WebVersions to monitor those applications.
The non stealth applications could be added tot the database as well, maybe under a separate section.

As I said above, it is just an idea. The details and requirements should have to be worked out, I just hope this is a start to get someone going in the right direction. Next to this, it does not have to be worked out here, maybe someone else want to start this.

:idea: I would like to know though if you all think if this is a good idea or not :?: