ZBack portable backup & synchronization

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
grannyGeek

ZBack portable backup & synchronization

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

http://titan.fsb.hr/~dzorc/zback.html
Zback - portable backup and synchronize tool for Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista and up.
(c) by Davor Zorc, Zagreb, Croatia , 2001., 2009. Freeware for personal use.

PURPOSE:
1) Synchronize directories for routine backup, for example between hard drive and USB drive or synchronize two computers via USB drive.
2) General purpose backup utility to save changes in work directories

FEATURES:
- portable - no setup needed. Works from USB stick, does not write to the registry
- copy modes: update files, refresh existing files or mirror source to target
- filter files based on extension, size, date, subdirectories
- preview and execute operation
- save backup scripts for routine backups
- manual, batch or command line operation
- small size (150 kB)
- personal freeware

Tiny, pretty fast, stealth -- but that needs a guru to validate ( I only found MRU & MUI entries with RegSeeker).
I like it a lot.

You can create "batch/job" lists within the interface, which are scripts that you can set up to be simple or complex. Load up the scripts later to run the batch again for updates, folder-sync, etc.
You obviously can't run it as an automated service, but I'll bet someone who knows VBS or Batch-file scripting could set up something pretty close.

Downside, there is no dedicated "restore" function, but like Cobian, run the backup in reverse from the copy to the original folder to recover your files.

I see that Cobian was pulled from the database, leaving only Toucan as a "contemporary" backup app. I hope this one might be a worthy addition.

Granny ---
My, it's good to be back after months of corporate-firewall-blockage!

:D

joby_toss

Re: ZBack portable backup & synchronization

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I like this one.
It's now on version 1.80.1.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1683