PowerPro

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
NMC

PowerPro

#1 Post by NMC »

I would like to submit PowerPro for the database. it is a launch bar, menu and tray icon facility which is highly configurable and accepts relative paths.
I can not say if it writes to the registry but I installed it locally then copied the app folder over and un-installed it and it all seems to work OK.
I have its folder in the root of the drive and have manually removed the shortcut drive letters and it is working like a dream.
Thanks to all involved in this site.

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ :D

tproli

#2 Post by tproli »

[removed by tproli]
Last edited by tproli on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dot

#3 Post by dot »

Yeah, PowerPro is one of the most fantastic programs for Windows I've ever come across. The most amazing thing is that it uses so little resources with all the things it can do. Beats ANY programs who offer only a single one of the many functions it has and still often use several times as many resources.

But its main feature (all kinds of self-built launch bars) would hardly make sense on a foreign computer (as the shortcuts would be invalid). Though, sometimes, I think carrying the sticky notes feature of PowerPro around might be convenient. But then, there are alternatives for the sticky notes that are truly portable (like ShirusuPad).

Just would be a nice, cosy feeling to have one's main desktop application always around and feel at home in front of any computer. ;-)

panting portable

Re: PowerPro

#4 Post by panting portable »

tproli I clicked on you link and got directed to a debtcollection site?!

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

panting portable

is power-pro portable?

#6 Post by panting portable »

Is there a portable version to download? I have heard someone mention that he uses a portable version so I wondered if I could find it here but a search didnt come up with anything
Oh just did another search and found some stuff, it seems its not portable.
I did find a post about using 2 batch files and.... I found it too complicated

m^(2)

Re: is power-pro portable?

#7 Post by m^(2) »

panting portable wrote:Is there a portable version to download? I have heard someone mention that he uses a portable version so I wondered if I could find it here but a search didnt come up with anything
Oh just did another search and found some stuff, it seems its not portable.
I did find a post about using 2 batch files and.... I found it too complicated
Could you show the post?
I use PPro portably for several years already. It certainly works, though it may leave some rubbish behind, I didn't check, it's insignificant for me.

panting portable

#8 Post by panting portable »

it is in this thread it is the post by Jobytoss, I went to the tutorial he links but it was complicated
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... pro#p18783

so basically you are saying I can just copy the program dir to another pc and it will work without having to install it properly?

m^(2)

#9 Post by m^(2) »

panting portable wrote:it is in this thread it is the post by Jobytoss, I went to the tutorial he links but it was complicated
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... pro#p18783

so basically you are saying I can just copy the program dir to another pc and it will work without having to install it properly?
Yeah, from what I see there, when you move PPro, it looses some stuff that's system related anyway (like association for it's scripts) and leaves some rubbish behind.
I don't see anything that has any impact on the way it works.

panting portable

#10 Post by panting portable »

Good to know , thanks will put it on my usb drive for the next time I go over to the uk to visit in-laws.
wish powerpro had a website with a forum, there is a yahoogroup but reading through those messages is like walking through treacle!

Ennovy

#11 Post by Ennovy »

Last month PowerPro 5.1 finally has been released (after four years): http://powerpro.cresadu.com/xdownload.shtml

Documentation in PDF format: http://powerpro.cresadu.com/download/powerpro.pdf

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Great news! Thank for the info! Testing... :)

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

Wow. The greatest Windows program is back from the dead.

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

PowerPro saves its settings in its own folder.
It doesn't modify the registry unless you tell it to.
I make these 2 statements from my personal experience; it doesn't mean they're the absolute truth! :)

Examples of some USB-friendly features:

1. Clipboard items and Notes are saved in the "clip" and "Notes" subfolders (they store the information un-encrypted, so be careful)

Image Image

2. Snippets (predefined blocks of text that you use often and don't want to type over and over) are stored in "pproconf.pcf" file

3. Various commands like window control, system control, screen-saver, desktop control, schedulers, empty recycle bin, open/close cd tray, calendar etc., etc., etc.

Image Image

Image Image

4. Now for the most important part: launching programs from menus or hotkeys.
There are a few different ways to deal with this. A more complex but efficient method is by using ".runit" script.
I use a simpler way with "do" command, but the applications launched need to be in a subfolder of PowerPro.

Example: do(pprofolder++"/utils/x64/Q-Dir.exe")

There are so many things to talk about PowerPro....an entire day would not be enough!

I didn't say anything about the custom context menu, tray menu, taskbar menu. I don't use these features on USB but I think it's doable. Many features need admin rights, though.

There are much more features (like using .ARB script - Launchy like launcher); ask if you need something specific. I'll try to find an answer for you. :)

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

Thanks for that, joby_toss. A quick question, is PPro somewhat similar to Samurize?