CAFE / Coffee custom configs

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
donald

Re: CAFE custom configs

#16 Post by donald »

Hey Thanks for the improvements it works great, much better than I expected.

I remember trying one of the old versions (I think a long time ago, probably it started in french? ), and would have never tried it again except that you were involved and you do such good work I tried it in spite of my experience.

Now it is in my list of start-up launched programs for my PStart running out of my SD card (so I can leave it in).

This program is excellent and reminds me that while I was poking around in Portableapps.com's Forums I think I saw a Portabe wastebasket function that was part of CAFE at some time.

If it was not too buggy, and you have not removed it (I hope it was not private coding) I would like to know how to turn on this function.

If it was too buggy or is unavailable for some reason well ... it does not hurt to ask. Does it?

Thank You Lupo73 for your work both here at Portable freeware and at your own fine site.

Lupo73

#17 Post by Lupo73 »

That component was removed from the code I used for Coffee, so unfortunately I'm not able to restore this feature (that anyway was only a draft).
Note that CafeMod was completely rewritten, because the original CAFE application had the source code in French, instead CafeMod (and so also Coffee) has English code.

donald

#18 Post by donald »

Thanks for the response to my previous question, I knew you improved the code but not, that it was coded in french, or that some of the other test code had been dropped.

I have a few new suggestions from another thread I will duplicate below.

The original thread dealt with Unlocker, and its portability, additionally the Send To dialogue was mentioned.
_-_ ... ask for a special request to Lupo 73.

Coffee currently has a associate all with host option available, if this could be upgraded or added to to allow associate all with ?Program?, or if such an associate all with ?Program? option could be added well ... here is hoping it would be possible.

Also a Send to Dialogue might be another function that could be tried, perhaps double click to open (as it is), and middle click or hot-key single click (highlight and single click to do a lot of files) and then a send to dialogue from coffee using the programs you prefer from flash, or host.
I also mentioned in that other thread that they might use secondary associations instead.
Other thread http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 278#p20278

opsimathic

#19 Post by opsimathic »

Can Coffee be configured to work with Free Commander?

Under C.A.F.E. I added the string "fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TfcForm" to the .ini file under the configuration section. Is there an equivalent instruction that can be used with Coffee?

Thanks!
/opsimathic

opsimathic

#20 Post by opsimathic »

opsimathic wrote:Can Coffee be configured to work with Free Commander?

Under C.A.F.E. I added the string "fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TfcForm" to the .ini file under the configuration section. Is there an equivalent instruction that can be used with Coffee?

Thanks!
/opsimathic
OK - I have answered my own question by taking a second look at Coffee's preferences - thanks Lupo, you have implemented a neat solution that is so much better than the original. :D

/opsimathic

donald

#21 Post by donald »

Lupo73

Why is this not in the submissions section yet??

I know it can take a while to end up in the database, but this should be submitted, unless you think it is not ready yet?

In a just for your information bit (you likely know this already) I tried opening a txt file in 7zip and it defaulted to the normal windows program.

I do not think this is a bug, I just wanted to mention it, and ask about opening files within other volumes, including TrueCrypt etc, does it only work from within the regular Windows Explorer, or can it open from other file explorers?

This is just an informational inquiry, I love your application as is, and

Thanks for the app Lupo73

Lupo73

#22 Post by Lupo73 »

Coffee is an update of CAFE, so it could be added in submissions section or directly replace CAFE.
I don't have time to improve it in these months, but it is stable and tested. There is only a minor issue with hotkeys (and only with some system configurations).

About your problem: note that it works "only" when you run files directly. If instead you try to open a file from a software (like 7zip or FreeCommander), you can't use portable associations. It isn't a Coffee limitation, but happens because to open files from a software are used internal associations of the software itself.

donald

#23 Post by donald »

Code: Select all

Previously posted in the Coffee submission thread.
Previous to submission Coffee was being posted about in this thread which is called "CAFE custom configs".

I would like to ask for some sharing of "configs" something the thread has previously left out. (Unless I missed something?)

The Coffee configuration file is an INI file labeled Coffee and found in the application folder. (You do keep it in a folder right?)Image

It is easiest to find by hot-key (Alt+Win+I) or by right clicking the Coffee tray icon, and highlighting the "Preferences" sub-menu, then clicking the "Edit Configuration ini File".

My portable file associations are as below (I am looking for more imaginative associations, command-line arguments, etc. and of course file formats I have left out.)
***********************************************************************************
[configuration]
runguimode=1
managedWindows=ahk_class FM|

[associations]
txt=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
ini=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
nfo=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
sfv=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
tar=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
gz=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
bz2=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
iso=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
rar=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
zip=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
7z=..\7-ZipPortable\7-ZipPortable.exe
wav=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
wmv=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mkv=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
avi=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
srt=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mp4=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
mov=..\smplayer-portable-0.6.7\smplayer.exe
pdf=..\SumatraPDFPortable\SumatraPDFPortable.exe
url=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
html=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
htm=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
maff=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
mht=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
gif=..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
jpg=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
ico=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
jpeg=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
bmp=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
png=..\XnView-win-full\xnview.exe
mp3=..\CoolPlayer+Portable\CoolPlayer+Portable.exe
m3u=..\CoolPlayer+Portable\CoolPlayer+Portable.exe
doc=host
ppt=host
rtf=..\qjot\QJot.exe
dat=..\qjot\QJot.exe
daa=..\daa2iso\daa2iso.exe
uif=..\uif2iso\uif2iso.exe
docx=host
inf=..\Jarte\Jarte.exe
rdl=..\Screamer Radio\screamer.exe
I have another copy using OpenOffice.org for doc, ppt, docx etc but that is the only difference.

This post was previously posted in the Coffee submission thread.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

Is there some kind of exclusion in the main program preventing users from opening an EXE file with a program. For example, I want to open an exe file with Universal Extractor by default NOT let it open normally. exe=..\universal_extractor\UniExtract.exe

Unfortunately, it won't work.

Its just something I want Coffee to do. Any ideas?

Cornflower

#25 Post by Cornflower »

.exe files are controlled by multiple registry entries using PersistenHandlers etc. Here is a web site for Restoring a broken .exe link due to malware (http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php). I've had to fix the connections once using this registry method.

So I don't know if it is worth it to get a temporary .exe in Cafe working. Good luck.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

Cornflower wrote:So I don't know if it is worth it to get a temporary .exe in Cafe working. Good luck.
Actually I posted to the wrong thread about this -- CAFE would do it just fine, but Coffee won't.
.exe files are controlled by multiple registry entries using PersistenHandlers etc. Here is a web site for Restoring a broken .exe link due to malware (http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php). I've had to fix the connections once using this registry method.
Thanks for the advice

bublible

#27 Post by bublible »

please add option to set up key shortcuts for Coffee manualy - this is really a must! ;-)

guinness

#28 Post by guinness »

webfork wrote:Having worked with CAFE a lot recently for the Kitchen Sink project, I've developed a short list of CAFE config files for other programs on portablefreeware.com:

http://sites.google.com/site/cafeconfig/

If anyone has additions, please message me or post them on this thread and (with your permission) I'll stick them on the site. Thanks!
I decided to re-vist webfork's page for different CAFE configurations for eXpresso and thought does anyone know of a website that I can use to find the most common file extensions? As I would like to create a custom config file of the most popular extensions and post on TPFC. webfork's list is perfect, but I can't help and wonder that perhaps some file formats are missing. :)

Maybe this should be TPFC next task to create the 'perfect' CAFE/eXpresso/CAFEMod/Coffee config file. :mrgreen:

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:As I would like to create a custom config file of the most popular extensions and post on TPFC. webfork's list is perfect, but I can't help and wonder that perhaps some file formats are missing. :)

Maybe this should be TPFC next task to create the 'perfect' CAFE/eXpresso/CAFEMod/Coffee config file.
I'm sure its missing some of the new formats. I couldn't say what the most common formats are (this might be a start), but if we're just doing individual associations for one program, we can go through the open dialogs of a few major programs and just copy those over. If we're doing more than one program, we should probably decide which one gets primary status. For example, XnView and Irfanview.

Also, if we're updating for eXpresso, I recommend creating config files that work with (at least initially) other PortableApps programs and then maybe see if they want to include it by default in the distro / on the webpage. Might spur its adoption by more PA users and draw activity by a developer.

guinness

#30 Post by guinness »

I checked the link you provided but most are already present on your config webiste.
Also, if we're updating for eXpresso, I recommend creating config files that work with (at least initially) other PortableApps programs and then maybe see if they want to include it by default in the distro / on the webpage. Might spur its adoption by more PA users and draw activity by a developer.
Agreed.

The main list of applications I have in my config file are minimal and work for most file extensions, they are:
1. VLC - Download
2. Notepad2 - Download
3. SumatraPDF - Download
4. IrfanView - Download
5. 7-Zip - Download
6. uTorrent for the odd torrent file I might use. - Download
7. KeePass - Download
8. LibreOffice - Download

So considering all these applications are included in PortableApps and are the 'big players' in the portable world, I will go through these and check their associations, but my problem is Notepad2 for example doesn't specify the list of potential extensions it can open, so this is where I would need feedback. Thanks for showing interest webfork.
Last edited by guinness on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.