DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
kuihdez

Re: DropIt

#31 Post by kuihdez »

there are no standards.

a star indicates anything can happen :

disney.* means the filename MUST start with disney

*disney.* means the filename MUST end with disney

*disney* means the filename has only to have disney inside it, no matter where

Firewrath

#32 Post by Firewrath »

i dont want to be picky here,
but, :P
kuihdez wrote: disney.* means the filename MUST start with Disney
would mean 'any file with the name disney and has any file extension'

disney*.* would mean 'any file that starts with disney of any file type'

Anyways,

the * is what is reffered to as a wildcard in most computer use like this,
it takes the place of any number of characters in a file name,

using the above example, the following would apply for each filter type,

Disney*.*:
Disneyweeeimafile.txt
disneyweeeimafiletoo.mp3
DisNeyweeeimafilealso.jpg

*Disney.*:
weeeimafileDisney.txt
weeeimafiletoodisney.mp3
weeeimafilealsoDisNey.jpg

*Disney*:
weeeDisneyimafile.txt
weeedisneyimafiletoo.mp3
weeeDisNeyimafilealso.jpg

the user would set the word and wildcard the same way they set the file extensions,
IE:
Weeee*.txt
*imafile*.mp3
*afiletoo.*
imnotafile.*

you should also be careful that if the name has a capitol letter, that it will also apply to lowercase letters, this would only be a problem if your doing an Exact string match,
EG: the *disney.mp3 string should also apply to files that are named textstuffDisney.mp3 and Not only moretextdisney.mp3
(though that should be an option for users? mebey?)

M@tty

#33 Post by M@tty »

Firewrath wrote:i dont want to be picky here,
but, :P
kuihdez wrote: disney.* means the filename MUST start with Disney
would mean 'any file with the name disney and has any file extension'
I don't want to be picky here, but "disney.*" would satisfy "disney.and.marvel.mp3", and in this example it's most likely the extension would be "mp3" and not "and.marvel.mp3".

Firewrath

#34 Post by Firewrath »

M@tty wrote: I don't want to be picky here,
Lies! ;)

but true enough, i tend to avoid file names with multiple '.'s
so it probably something i never noticed because of that,

donald

Re: DropIt An Idea for a function

#35 Post by donald »

Lupo73

A thought on your application, and a function you could consider adding.

I believe your application just moves files, according to the ini file.

Another similar application uses hot keys to move files.

The application I am mentioning is FlashBin. FlashBin is available at Portableapps.

FlashBin Replaces the Recycle Bin which is lacking in flash drives.

All FlashBin does is move folders like your application, it just does it automatically when the hotkey is pressed, if the item happens to be on the flash drive in question.

Lompster was another file mover like your program, except it was just for moving files to the Recycle Bin.

I believe it would be nice if you considered a flash drive recycle bin function, or similar function, by using a hot key, or a menu option your application could automatically transfer any file no matter the extension to a folder labeled for that purpose (Recycle Bin, Delete, Trash, or even Garbage).

This hot key based transfer could allow your application to provide a reasonable flash drive recycle bin function.

I hope this is not as complicated as it seems to me. Please only consider it (it is just a thought nothing important), I just thought this could help you extend your applications utility to other people.

Thanks Lupo for your application.

Oh and thankyou for fixing the application Taskbar button thing.

Your application is very cool as is.

Lupo73

#36 Post by Lupo73 »

I'll consider this feature for one of the future releases.

About the pattern support, I have rewritten a big portion of my software to work better and to add this feature. Now remains to create the function that check if a file match with a pattern and I need your help because I'm a little confused :P ..someone can help me to define how to check it? (not in a particular programming language)
In input I have a string, that is the file name (eventually I can easily split it in name and extension). I have to check it, loading patterns from a list and compare the two strings.

kuihdez

#37 Post by kuihdez »

bad idea to split filename and extension in my opinion.

just one hole string.

you have your list of filters. If a filename matches the first filter, then it is processed

well, i'm no genius, so i don't get what you want

donald

#38 Post by donald »

Lupo73
Someone emailed me about my recent comment.
Just to be clear (someone told me that I meant something I did not), what I meant was just a hot key to bypass the ini file and its file type lists, and just put the dropped object in a specific location.

To be even more specific I did not want to ask you to incorporate any other function, or item, not even a change in the icon with the hot key.

This was just an Idea, and whatever someone else has said was just an extension of file moving with the method already in place, just using an exception, started with a hot key.

And I believe using an Icon for the change or allowing it to persist (which would require such a visual cue) is unnecessary as it could persist until something is dropped and then stop, or a preset time limit could also cancel the ignoring of the file extensions. (You could use these Ideas as well, they just were not mine, I believe if the change was persistent that it would require a visual cue and a reversal such as repeating the hotkey, or menu option click)

Please ignore all interpretations of what I meant.
I do not want to put down these Ideas, just to say that mine were much simpler than some people want to believe.

Thanks Lupo73

You have given us a great application, and I love it as it is.
I also think it is very cool that you really listen to us here, even considering our ideas.

Lupo73

#39 Post by Lupo73 »

I have made a preliminary release of the new DropIt (widely rewritten). This is the download link to make tests:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/DropIt.zip
(given that I made many changes to code, could be present several issues in this first beta version)

Lupo73

#40 Post by Lupo73 »

I have updated it to a second beta release, that now if more than one pattern match for the same file, allow to select what pattern use.

kuihdez

#41 Post by kuihdez »

why not automatically apply the one that is on the top... like priorities

Lupo73

#42 Post by Lupo73 »

In this way the user knows if a file could be processed by different rules, allowing eventually to change duplicate patterns.

kuihdez

#43 Post by kuihdez »

i just moved a bunch of files to dropit, and i'm worried, at first, i would like to know if it was done correctly.

can we have some sort of txt log file ?

File www.jpg was copied/moved to c:\wallpapers\www

thanks for your effort. This could become the single most important app ever...

Saving hours of having to manualy sort stuff. :)

Lupo73

#44 Post by Lupo73 »

I have released the stable version 0.6 that includes all new features mentioned. It could need a few more tests, but seems to be stable. It is available from here: http://www.lupopensuite.com/db/dropit.htm

Version 0.6 [28-10-2009]
- completely rewritten some code portions
- extended support to pattern matching, not only file formats
- improved form for associations
- some minor improvements
- fixed some bugs

I'll consider if add a log feature in one of the next releases. :wink:

opsimathic

#45 Post by opsimathic »

Hi Lupo,

I have just spent the morning using DropIt to move photos around in preparation for a presentation I have to make on Sunday. Although I could have accomplished the task using other methods, your application saved me much time and helped make the task pleasant.

Thank you for all your hard work, and for the constant stream of improvements - well done indeed.

/opsimathic