[Zhornsoftware] Stickies [reminder utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
USB_Kx

[Zhornsoftware] Stickies [reminder utility]

#1 Post by USB_Kx »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for Stickies; https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=264; original post subject was "Stickies 6.5a"]

Great piece of software

v6.5a
What's new since version 6.0c

New features

* API to allow integration with other applications
* Skin language v4 supported (scrollbars, alpha drawing, suggested default style)
* Typing [ followed by ] gives you a checkbox which can be double-clicked to alter its state
* Several buttons will repeat if the mouse button is held down (scroll up, scroll down, page up, page down, dimension conditions)
* A new GPO setting to log all network stickies to the server, for administrative monitoring
* Wildcards are now available for use with window classes when attaching
* Alt-space brings up the text context menu
* Advanced AttachShowSystemWindows=1 ini file setting to control whether additional windows are shown in the attach dialog
* Advanced AllowTransparentBackgrounds=1 ini file setting to control whether stickies colour can be set to the region colour

Fixes

* Some context-sensitive help was not opening correctly on the General options tab
* Attaching using a wildcard was not working correctly
* Storing an empty sticky no longer generates an error
* Warning about using a skin with regions is now displayed correctly pre-Windows 2000
* Stickies set to Autowidth near the right of the screen will now load back in their correct positions
* Context-sensitive help is now set correctly for the Change Title dialog, after other similar dialogs have been displayed
* Autowidth stickies now size the correct side as they're loaded
* Skin button action "attach" now works
* Tooltips are only created for buttons which have a conditional display when that condition is met
* Attached stickies can now be rolled up
* Sleeping for values larger than 99 would only sleep for 99 of that amount
* MAPI usage under Vista will no longer crash Stickies
* Double-clicking words inbetween two <<file://>> elements now works
* Crash caused by restoring a closed sticky when it's only just been modified fixed
* Crash when "Bring all stickies to front when one is clicked" is off, "Confirm closure" is on, and user clicks delete multiple times fixed
* Searching for terms in the Manage dialog which contain [ or ] no longer causes a problem
* Chinese IME drop menu "Candidate words" no longer closed mid-selection
* Copying a stored sticky within categories now copies the text of the sticky as well
* Starting a drag and drop in Manage, moving over the categories, and then not dropping onto a category no longer causes the category list selection to get "stuck"
* Crash when opening a context-menu search term from the Manage dialog fixed
* Pasting non-Western characters, and text from Office 2007 into a sticky works better
* Sizing the sticky by the bottom-right corner will no longer snap to a zero width or height
* Sizing the sticky by the bottom-left corner will no longer "disappear" the sticky when snapping is disabled

Changes

* Stickies brought back from store have a create date of when they were restored, not Jan 1970
* Tab order on the Sleep/Alarm dialog improved
* Blank stickies which have a title are now closed rather than deleted
* Single-clicking the task-tray icon while the Manage dialog is showing search results is much faster
* Context-sensitive help tooltips now use 8pt Tahoma, so non-Western characters can be displayed
* Improved handling of URL launching when a <<file://name with a space.dat>> is present on a sticky
* Exporting categories in the Manage dialog currently does so as plain text, not as RTF
* "Green" on the Font menu is now green rather than lime
* Font colour menu items text is now set to that colour
* Styles and Skin dialog skin preview improved - no more odd colours around it
* "Recurring" icon altered in Manage dialog to be less similar to the "Sleeping" icon
* The code which puts a sticky on the screen rewritten from scratch
* The "Double-clicking the title bar:" option now does only what it says, and doesn't also prevent skins from rolling

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/index.html

"Help preserve your child's belief in Santa Claus. Tell him or her that Santa will send them to hell if they don't believe in him."
-Sources unknown

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

Thank you!
TPFC database updated (again)

USB_Kx

#3 Post by USB_Kx »

Cheers

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), "The Prince"

Ennovy

Stickies

#4 Post by Ennovy »

Last edited by Ennovy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

infimum

Re: Stickies 6.7a

#5 Post by infimum »

v7.0 beta up.

donald

#6 Post by donald »

Edited all new comment below:
Emailed developer and he specifically mentioned that it is still just as portable.

I must congratulate the addition of many new features including the backup function, and Image stickies to name a few obvious ones.

Like all previous versions with which I am familiar it is feature packed, including a lot of functionality that I may never use, (Networking, and email) but which I could see using in an office, or even within a family to network and remind someone without requiring an immediate response.

I specifically use recurring stickies, and have spent fewer nights forgetting to go to sleep, eat, or just get up and watch that tv show.

I use a .wav file playing revile for alarmed stickies, along with wobble and flash
EDIT************************************************************
sorry I thought this was a discussion thread
Last edited by donald on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Someone asked in the comments for this program about syncing with Blackberry so I gave it a shot. Not much success but here's what happened:

Background

I wanted to do this because I figured out how to get a bunch of text files sent to my blackberry using Dsynchronize. Even better, all the stickies you create and their formatting are contained in the stickies.ini file you create. It should be easy to copy text files and convert them using something called "Mobile File Manager", which views and edits text documents fairly well. The problem is that there are all sorts of XML tags around the actual text and I can't find an effective editor/cleaner.

Internal tools

The export function also doesn't seem to work, outputting blank spreadsheet (CSV) files. This is because somehow you have to move the files to a "stored" format, and I can't figure that out. The website mysteriously went down while I was messing with this so no help from the FAQ or other web resources.

(Temporary) Conclusion

Interoperability is a pretty important feature for what's effectively a text editor. Everyone has given this program such glowing reviews but a real negative when you can't easily plug your program into other programs.

donald

#8 Post by donald »

Webfork

To store a sticky just right click the stickies icon and select manage stickies,

Next right click on a sticky and select store,

you will undoubtedly be required to set up a category,

and if you are using this for syncing purposes 'sync' or 'all' both seem like appropriate names.

After typing a category name,

you then click ok and that will finish storing one sticky,

to store a lot more just,

from the Manage Stickies screen highlight all to select all then right click to select store all.

You will have to select all of the places you have stickies including desktop, sleeping, recurring, and closed. (found on the left side of the Manage Stickies window)

You may want to sync closed stickies as well, though with recurring stickies that would be a little pointless.

You may want to be certain you have the correct version of stickies, since 3 versions exist, one for Palm OS, one for PC, and one for
PPC hand held devices
You may then have to set up friends, the pc/s and device/s you are syncing.

You should also be certain to check that you have enabled networking (Options, Network tab) including receiving and sending settings so that the PC in question has the ability to sync in the way you want.
Last edited by donald on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Thanks again Donald.

donald

How I use Stickies

#10 Post by donald »

How I use stickies

I set my stickies to reoccur on a weekly basis, and sometimes on a time limited basis with an end date. (right click the title bar, mouse over sleep, select recurring, select how you woukd like them to reoccur and for how long etc)

I have set all of my stickies by default to play a sound on waking. (Options, Alerts tab, Waking, and Actions to take when Alarm is Triggered) To set the Wav file to play portably I just navigated to it and then backspaced away the unneeded characters G:\PortableApps\Stikies\Revelie.wav becomes just Revelie.wav.
You could use 2 dfferent wav files one for alarms and one for waking with no alarm.

I set my stickies to Alarm on wake, to jiggle, and to flash border, to play sound, and to loop sound.

I recently started addind shortcuts to files, but they are not portable (drag and drop file to create a shortcut) I managed to remove the drive part of the path but then it looks to the desktop. (<<file://G:\Documents\understandingrace.org Project.doc>> would become <<file:Documents\understandingrace.org Project.doc>> by using backspace to remove the difference without breaking the link it would only open the doc if it was on the desktop also)

I have also set internet shortcuts which remind me to go to a specific website, and allow me to do it easily.

I use it to remind me of appointments, to stop doing something, when a tv show is on etc.

Oh and I also use short term sleep with no recurrence for short things like say call someone after they get off of work, or pull something out of the oven, it is a great countdown timer.

RE: Stickies 7beta it adds the ability to backup from the main menu, and Image stickies.
I know there are probably a lot more new features but this is what I noticed.

Checker

Stickies V7.0a

#11 Post by Checker »

It's now V7.0a :!:
Last edited by Checker on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Checker

Stickies 7.0b

#12 Post by Checker »

It's now V7.0b :!:

If I set a headline/title for a stickie it won't show up :shock:
Is this a bug, or did I something wrong :?: (... old version makes no problem).

donald

#13 Post by donald »

It has been a while since I first downloaded the 7a Pre-release, could you please share the location of 7b.

Thankyou, Checker

Checker

Stickies 7.0b

#14 Post by Checker »

@ donald: Just klick on the red versionnumber (that's the link) at my post :wink:

donald

#15 Post by donald »

Thanks Checker, I should have thought of it but I have yet to figure out how you did that hyperlink on the forums, it must be the forum code? Not something I am worried about but it is intriguing.

And the reason I asked was that the 7a version was on the main site until after I posted to you, my request.

I was specifically wondering which part of the Forums for Stikies I needed to find the 7b pre-release, I guess that the Pre no longer applies.