jPortable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

jPortable

#1 Post by Checker »

[Moderator note: this is the primary jPortable program thread. View database entry]

----

From the website:

Java Portable 6 Update 15 has been released by PortableApps.com.
Java Portable allows you to easily install the Java runtime engine to your PortableApps.com-enabled device. With Java on your portable device, portable apps which utilize the Java runtime environment, like OpenOffice.org Portable, can automatically utilize Java even if it isn't installed on the local PC. It's packaged in PortableApps.com Format for easy use from any portable device and integration with the PortableApps.com Suite. And it's completely free.

System Requirements: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7

Download: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable
Last edited by Checker on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lupo73

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

But is it possible to use it also without the portableapps suite integration? It could be very good to have a portable version of Java that stay with an icon on the traybar, monitoring applications and allowing to use java apps without have java installed. A sort of mechanism like Coffee (C.A.F.E.) but for apps that need Java.

Checker

#3 Post by Checker »

Lupo73 wrote:But is it possible to use it also without the portableapps suite integration?
I don't know.
Lupo73 wrote:It could be very good to have a portable version of Java that stay with an icon on the traybar, monitoring applications and allowing to use java apps without have java installed. A sort of mechanism like Coffee (C.A.F.E.) but for apps that need Java.
Yes indeed :!:

But even if it won't work without the portableapps suite integration I think it's a usefull tool for those (portableapps suite) user.

I'm sure there are some at this forum :)

It may not be an ideal candidate for the database because of this dependency.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

What I don't understand is why the need of downloading and installing java even if one has already java installed on his machine? Couldn't the installer just detect and copy that installation?

And one other thing: can't the java apps be launched by indicating the path to javaw.exe? So you have a copy of the java installation folder on your stick and use something like

Code: Select all

.\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Duser.home=. -jar Exifsorter.jar
to launch the app (ExifSorter in this case, with java in a subfolder).

OpenOffice portable also has a java subfolder...

One could keep only one java folder on his stick and just change the java executable path ...

Lupo73

#5 Post by Lupo73 »

Today they have released a launcher that seems to do something like it:
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... e_launcher

But I don't exactly understand how it works.. It could be useful to integrate it with the Java package..

gp_hbk

Re: Java Portable 6 Update 15

#6 Post by gp_hbk »

This has been updated to Java Portable 6 Update 15

Checker

Java Portable 6 Update 15

#7 Post by Checker »

Thanks gp_hbk :!:
First posting updated accordingly.

alanbcohen

#8 Post by alanbcohen »

Sorry guys, I don't think you understand what 'portableapps integration' is. Mostly, it is a menu program that can be used with any executable, portable or not, so long as the application is located in a particular place in the file structure. The individual applications do not rely on the presence of the menu in any way. Otherwise, the .paf.exe format is a packaging standard for the individual application's launcher, which takes care of most of the registry, directory, and related aspects of the program, which is unchanged from the original publisher's version. I safely use a combination of paf-formatted and natively portable applications with a menu variant that meets my needs (I'd use one of the several fine menus that can be found here, if I didn't like the particular own I'm using).

As to the question of why the package unpackager chooses to download a fresh copy rather than look for an existing install, I have no personal knowledge, but I'd guess it was to reduce additional complexity. If it looked for an existing installation, it would then have to make sure it was of the correct version, and if not, still download a fresh copy. Sounds like unnecessary effort to me (and it will never find my java install anyway; I'm running Linux on my home box).

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

Added to TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1996
Let the voting begin!
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Added to TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1996
Let the voting begin!
Since Java Portable doesn't do anything on its own, I think this program is more of an accessory that should be tied into the OpenOffice entry or linked to under the "requirements" section of an entry rather than getting its own.

Its a bit like Java Portable Launcher: as JAR files start being accepted into the database as fully portable, those programs should get their own entries and then link to the required launcher and JRE.

SYSTEM

#11 Post by SYSTEM »

Note that jPortable 6 Update 31 doesn't currently work with PA.c's portable browsers: http://portableapps.com/node/31145

JohnTHaller

#12 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:Note that jPortable 6 Update 31 doesn't currently work with PA.c's portable browsers: http://portableapps.com/node/31145
This was promptly fixed with jPortable 6 Update 31.1 and new versions of Firefox, Opera, Iron, Google Chrome, etc.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#13 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:Note that jPortable 6 Update 31 doesn't currently work with PA.c's portable browsers: http://portableapps.com/node/31145
This was promptly fixed with jPortable 6 Update 31.1 and new versions of Firefox, Opera, Iron, Google Chrome, etc.
Good, thank you. :)

freakazoid

Re: jPortable

#14 Post by freakazoid »

Had to run Java Portable from a command prompt, so was trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.

Found out you can use PA's Command Prompt Portable and that will auto-detect jPortable, so you can use that if you need to pass any command-line arguments to a .jar file or what have you.
is it stealth? ;)