QtWeb Internet Browser [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

QtWeb Internet Browser [discontinued]

#1 Post by I am Baas »

QtWeb is compact, portable and secure web browser having some unique UI and privacy features.

QtWeb is an open source project based on Nokia's Qt framework (former Trolltech) and Apple's WebKit rendering engine (the same as being used in Apple Safari and Google Chrome).

Major Features

Customizable User Interface

- Change Application Style on the fly, and see how the program and websites look under different versions of Windows and Unix environment
- Move Navigation Bar and Bookmarks Bar anywhere within a mainframe, or even undock and place them on the Desktop
- Tabbed browsing by default. User Interface can be switched to non-tabbed

Privacy and Security features

- Turn on Private Browsing mode to avoid leaving traces of browsing, even UserAgent which is being sent to the web server is masked
- Full Reset feature - clears all caches and restores all local settings to the state just after installation, as it was never run on the machine
- Supported SSL to access secure sites. Certificate information and certification path can be displayed

Lightweight, fast and portable browser

- Size of executable is 4 MB only, no additional DLLs and other configuration files required
- In most cases you just need one file - QtWeb.exe, that can be copied and run even from USB or CD/DVD
- Can be run in limited Windows environment (Win PE), like Active@ Boot Disk, or BartPE running from CD/DVD/USB

More...

- HTML 5, CSS, Frames, JavaScript, Cookies, Bookmarks, History, Passwords, Media content - all essential browser features are here
- Supported FTP browsing and downloading
- AutoFill option - stores and pre-populates user names and passwords for the sites you visit most
- With Qt 4.5 supported Netscape Plug-Ins, like Adobe Flash Player, QuickTime and MediaPlayer
Screenshots
Comparison Table
Download

donald

No additional dlls required?

#2 Post by donald »

No additional dlls required?
The website quote is misleading see this quote regarding the dlls found on the download page (yes it said in most cases but it misleads you to think dlls are never neccesary)
does NOT include all system DLLs required, relies on operating system installed
and more importantly
if unable to run due to missed system DLLs, please download and try zipped archive below
While the quote you mention is accurate that it might run if the system carries the necessary dlls it does not contain its own dlls as the website quote seems to imply

I will try this in the zip archive version, with the dlls.

-.-

#3 Post by -.- »

hm

tryed out zip one, all dll are there and seems to save to program folder the downloads and the settings

robin

#4 Post by robin »

I was playing around with this browser a little while ago, and while it looks like you can disable it from writing to the registry etc, I couldn't find a way to get it to save settings in any way that would be portable... :( though I guess it would be pretty easy to thinstall or JPE or PortableApps it or what have you.

m^(2)

#5 Post by m^(2) »

Would be cool if it supported adblock.
As it is now - barely useful IMO.

Maybe the authors will work on it? It's not so hard....

donald

#6 Post by donald »

Please try posting suggestions to the QtWeb Internet Browser Forum.
http://qtweb.net/smf/index.php?topic

I have registered and posted a request for ad block please add your request for same to the thread etc.
http://qtweb.net/smf/index.php?topic=15.0

I think we can help influence the growth of this app into something that could be added to TPFC and to our thumb drives if we all contribute constructive opinions and any knowledge about registry etc that we can add.

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

OK, I did it.

donald

thanks and

#8 Post by donald »

Thanks m^(2) and I hope many more will post to help improve the QT Web browser.

To Robin have you found the Registry keys regarding settings?
Are you sure that it is losing registry settings, or is it possible you might have reset it Ctrl+Alt+R? Or the drop down menu "tools" option "Reset QT Web..."?

I know it may be silly to ask but it is a vanishingly small possibility that you could have reset the browser.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

This could be a very nice browser... looking forward to future releases!
Still pretty barebones... no config, etc.

One to look out for!

m^(2)

#10 Post by m^(2) »

freakazoid wrote:This could be a very nice browser... looking forward to future releases!
Still pretty barebones... no config, etc.

One to look out for!
There is config.
Edit->Preferences (F2)

freakazoid

#11 Post by freakazoid »

Man, I'm blind!

Thanks for highlighting that m^!

Queue

#12 Post by Queue »

I wasn't really expecting otherwise when I found VC++ 8.0 DLLs in the zip file, but it doesn't work on Win98SE. I like the idea though; a 4MB portable web browser would be nice.

Opera Portable weighs in at 6MB and OffByOne (which is very limited in functionality) is only a few hundred KB, for comparison.

Queue

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

Their support forum really sucks...No users marked as officials and the last post from a person that I think belongs to staff was 4 days ago...

freakazoid

#14 Post by freakazoid »

What's new in version 2.0 (released March 23, 2009):

- Customizable menus, hot keys, keyboard shortcuts, toolbar buttons and search providers
- Web Inspector: inspect HTML elements, loading time and size, profile resources usage, debug JavaScript
- Virtual Keyboard support: browse internet, fill web forms, perform searches with a mouse only
- Added Print Preview mode to check content pagination before actual printing
- More toolbar buttons can be added to the Navigation Bar
- Command Line scripting support: dump webpages to a file, including javascripted ones
- Separate Privacy top-level menu groups most of privacy commands, shortcuts being assigned
- Icons can be hidden, or Menu Bar can be hidden itself

Minor enhancements:
- Improved Downloads management: text labels replaced with icons, added Delete item command
- Added configuration option for mouseweel click default action
- Default action for New Tab command added to Preferences (Welcome page, Blank page, Home page):
- Applied the latest Qt 4.5.0 release, some Qt bugs being fixed manually
- Local help file is updated to reflect new features
- One-click bookmarks can be enabled/disabled in the Show All Bookmarks dialog - When Navigation Bar is hidden - Alt+D, Ctrl+W - will unhide it automatically

Bug fixes:
- Relative path for portable version settings location has been replaced with absolute path
- Exception fixed on ASX or other media content thrown sometimes after MediaPlayer is launched
- AutoFill sometimes stored password not in the encrypted form
- Tab closing with a middle mouse button did not work
- After Stop command - Reload menu item was inactive
- For the one-click bookmarks, added warning if URL or title already exists

Download: http://qtweb.net/download.php

---

A lot of cool new features (most of them that I requested!)
Check it out! Alex (who I believe is the lead developer) is very responsive.
is it stealth? ;)

Checker

QtWeb V3.1

#15 Post by Checker »

Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 am, edited 5 times in total.