Sandbox-like JauntePE configuration?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

#16 Post by crownixx »

If i'm not mistaken, ThinLoader task is just to launch an application and we can see that this application will be the child process for ThinLoader. But because it has been thinapped, any child process from the ThinLoader is also will be affected by the virtualization thus making the child process running portably.

You can also achieve all above just by "jauntized" the PStart. I believe this is what redllar want to deliver the "-PStart Tutorial" but he didn't manage to finish the tutorial. See the JauntePE030AlphaFinal readme here

Anyway, it is good that you guys have lots of ideas to share here. Keep it up. Anyone dare to take challenge solving the mystery of -PStart Tutorial? 8)

fawkes

#17 Post by fawkes »

Yes I saw that too and I am glad redllar wanted to achieve something similar, although I am sad to see it never came to fruition. Still if you look at the date I started this thread and at the date the JPELoader was compiled you'll easily see that this was long before the "-PStart Tutorial" and at that time I didn't know of a way to achieve this goal other then doing it myself.

I agree having a launcher launching every application in portable mode is the best solution, one of the reason I wanted a simple per-application launcher was because many less computer savy users are confused by launchers, they expect the application to start when they run the executable file (and last time I tried PStart it couldn't auto-start an application). Since a lot of times I do not have the time "jauntized" an application the way it should be, I thought this would be a quick and dirty (or easy and lazy if you wish) solution to those situations.

Still if anyone makes any launcher run this way and it works as expected then please share because I am still very interested in something like this, if not I will try some more myself if I ever get some free time again.

Napiophelios

#18 Post by Napiophelios »

Here's my first attempt at the PStart thing...

PStart (JPE Launcher)
This launcher configuration does not sandbox/redirect
all installers or apps that operate from the temp folder.

I think this is a default JPE setting.

However it will sandbox/redirect portables and programs
already extracted from installer archives.

Place the PStart.exe in the "Program" folder

Napiophelios

#19 Post by Napiophelios »

fawkes wrote: Still if anyone makes any launcher run this way and it works as expected then please share because I am still very interested in something like this, if not I will try some more myself if I ever get some free time again.
Fawkes,I tried to JPE your loader but it has the same issues as my PStart.
It just wont fully redirect installers.
Also with your loader processes stay open in Taskmanager even after you close the app.
After the third or fourth time I opened it the loader would not be visible but would be running in Taskmanager.
If you got some extra time could you take a look at your loader and make sure nothing is wrong with it,
that way I can narrow down what's going on with my JPE version.

Napiophelios

PStart and JPE

#20 Post by Napiophelios »

:)The author of PStart likes the concept of jauntePEizing PStart :)
pretty cool huh...

freakazoid

#21 Post by freakazoid »

I don't mind a JauntePE'd PStart, but I'd still rather have a simple dialog prompt open, much like Thinloader.

It's cool that the author of PStart digs JauntePE!
is it stealth? ;)

Napiophelios

#22 Post by Napiophelios »

freakazoid wrote:I don't mind a JauntePE'd PStart, but I'd still rather have a simple dialog prompt open, much like Thinloader.

It's cool that the author of PStart digs JauntePE!
Well Fawkes JPELoader doesnt work well with JauntePE yet
but I am still trying to get it to work.

I thinstalled it for testing purposes and it does what its supposed to;
so I know its something wrong with my JPE config.

crownixx

#23 Post by crownixx »

Hi guys, i got my holiday back and now i'm back to share the same interest in JauntePE with other fans :)

Napiophelios, your PStart JauntePE version project is really interesting when you got attention from the pstart author. Maybe we could built it together and make it a nice standard and user friendly tutorial. Can i join the team?
Napiophelios wrote:It just wont fully redirect installers.
Which insttaller you are using for the testing?

Napiophelios

#24 Post by Napiophelios »

Crownixx most installers did well but the Opera installer has been the one that
just seems to completely walk around redirection.I was thinking maybe it
opens in the temp folder then does its thing,so JPE just ignores it completely
till you use it to open the program..then redirection works accordingly.
But the whole install process is not redirected...which is fine for what Redllar had in mind
for JPE and PStart (to redirect a portable application's child processes
..but I am greedy and want it to work as well as ThinLoader :) ).

crownixx

#25 Post by crownixx »

That is because the Opera installer is a msi installer. Try unpack it using Universal Extractor twice and you will see the msi file. The _Normal3.ini settings by default prevent the msi installer from occuring.

Code: Select all

[Redirection]
RedirMSI=1