CintaNotes Free Personal Notes Manager (New Release: BetaM9)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlexJenter

CintaNotes Free Personal Notes Manager (New Release: BetaM9)

#1 Post by AlexJenter »

CintaNotes is a simple program for basic notes keeping that provides a convenient way to quickly store pieces of information that are collected from other documents or websites.
All you have to do is select the text to be stored and then press the CTRL+F12 hotkey on your keyboard to create a note. CintaNotes captures the text and uses the application title as the note's title.
Alternatively, you can copy/paste the text into the application and append it to the list of previous notes. You can optionally assign keyword tags that can be used to locate and identify notes at a later time.
An instant search feature quickly locates keywords within notes as you type them. Other features include merging of notes and support for automatic capturing of web page URLs.
Note that this is a functional public Beta, the program is still under development and new features are added regularly.

Stores data and settings to: application folder.

Size: 649 Kb (ZIP)
License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista. No runtime dependencies.

Screenshot:

Download: http://cintanotes.com/files/CintaNotes_BetaM9_0.zip

Unpack to the folder of your choice and launch cintanotes.exe.
Last edited by AlexJenter on Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

Just trying it out, and I like it alot.

However, I have to note that it currently must be run as an administrator on Vista for the Ctrl+F12 clipping function to work properly. If it's run normally, it just opens a new blank note. If run as administrator, it automatically adds a new note to the list with the text that was selected in the other application.

Master of Dice

#3 Post by Master of Dice »

You only have to start it as an administrator if you want to copy with CTRL-F12 from an application that was also started with administrator rights.
For "normal" applications, it works for me.

yt22

#4 Post by yt22 »

I like this program. I think it will replace my "notes.txt" file where I keep all my notes, info, etc. I like how it separates the notes by date/time. Only suggestion, I wish the last note added would be on top instead of at the end of the list.

AlexJenter

#5 Post by AlexJenter »

Hi guys, I'm the author of CintaNotes. Thanks for trying out the program!
However, I have to note that it currently must be run as an administrator on Vista for the Ctrl+F12 clipping function to work properly.
I'm already investigating the issue.
Only suggestion, I wish the last note added would be on top instead of at the end of the list.
Note sorting and grouping is planned for the 1.0 release, so you'll be able to choose the sorting order at will.

Kranor

#6 Post by Kranor »

I have Fallen in love with this little program and so have more than a few people at work that I have given it too. Get this one in the database as soon as possible please!!!

AlexJenter

Beta M5 Version

#7 Post by AlexJenter »

Hi everyone,
I've just released a new version Beta M5.

Here's what's new:
  • URL retrieval from Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari (Feature)
    Now not only for IE: note's link is automatically filled when you clip text from pages viewed in these web browsers.
  • Export notes to a Unicode text file (Feature)
    You can now export notes to a unicode text file using the File / Export command.
  • Configurable clipping hot key (Feature)
    Finally you can change the default Ctrl+F12 key combination. See Options / Clipping Hot Key. My favorite is Win+X :roll: Unfortunately it can't be the default one: officially Win key is reserved for the system.
  • Note count display (Enhancement)
    CintaNotes now reveals how many notes there are in your notebook and how many were found during search.
  • Adjustable note lines display (Enhancement)
    You can adjust the count of note lines that should be displayed in the main list using the View / Note Appearance dialog.
  • Ctrl+Space is now working properly (Fix)
    It did not toggle note selection as it should.
  • No administrator privileges required to install (Fix)
    Now you don't have to be an administrator to install CintaNotes. Just remember that in this case Program Files folder is not writable and choose another one during installation.
I'd be most grateful if you could test it, especially the issue with Vista which I still cannot reproduce.
Thanks!

Download: http://cintanotes.com/files/CintaNotes_BetaM5.zip

Alex
Last edited by AlexJenter on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kranor

#8 Post by Kranor »

Hi Alex
Great program, One small request is in the startup.
Is there any chance you could have a startup option where it is minimized to system tray?
I have been using PStart to Launch it minimized but I still have to send it to the system tray. Starting it from a shortcut unfortunately does the same thing.
If this change could be made it would make the program perfect as far as I am concerned.
Once again Cheers for a Great Program

infimum

#9 Post by infimum »

Alex,

Can I choose fonts for editing notes?

AlexJenter

#10 Post by AlexJenter »

Kranor wrote: Is there any chance you could have a startup option where it is minimized to system tray?
Actually CintaNotes does run minimized when it is told to do so by the shortcut.
Have you tried setting the "Run" parameter in the shortcut's properties to "Minimized"?
infimum wrote: Can I choose fonts for editing notes?
Unfortunately right now it is not supported. But it is not diffucult to implement. I'll do it in the next version.

Regards,
Alex

Kranor

#11 Post by Kranor »

Yup tried that Alex. It will run Minimized If launched from a shortcut but not if you use a launcher, ror instance Pstart, to run It.It will run and minimize but not to the system tray It will only minimize to the taskbar. Pstart will not launch a shortcut at all, so that idea is out the window. At a rough guess I would say that about 70% of Portable software users on this forum use Pstart, so it would be worth adding this feature.
Last edited by Kranor on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexJenter

#12 Post by AlexJenter »

Well that's strange, 'cause it works for me. Could you tell me your Windows version (including servicepacks) and CintaNotes version? Thanks

Kranor

#13 Post by Kranor »

OOps sorry alex I was just updating me previous post Please see above

AlexJenter

#14 Post by AlexJenter »

Ok I see now. Try this solution:

1. Create a shortcut to CintaNotes with Run set to "Minimized", say cintanotes.lnk and put it into the CintaNotes folder.
2. Configure PStart to launch cintanotes.exe, then do "Edit" and change "Application/file path" from .exe to .lnk

There's also another way:

1. Create file "cintanotes.bat" with the following contents:
start /MIN cintanotes.exe
and put it into the CintaNotes folder.
2. Configure PStart to launch this bat file. On the "Advanced" tab, replace the icon with the one from cintanotes.exe, and set "Window state" to "minimized".

I've downloaded PStart (nice app by the way!) and tried it, so it should work. In any case, it will be no problem to implement something like "/min" command line parameter in the next version.

ashghost

#15 Post by ashghost »

When run as a normal user on Vista, this version (Beta M5) adds a new item to the tape (not open and ready to edit, as in the previous version). The new item has the correct title, but the body of the item is still blank and links are not transferred.

I'm glad that running it as administrator is actually not a problem for me. I love the added features and enhancements! Keep up the good work!

Alex, you're certainly on top of things. While I was trying to troubleshoot the PStart/minimized issue, you addressed it with a workaround and the promise of a future feature! :D I'll still include what I had written:

I tried using PStart to start other applications that minimize to the tray. GreatNews and AnVir Task Manager both showed up in the taskbar, but SysInternals Process Explorer did not. I know next to nothing about such things, but I thought the name of Process Explorer's option ("hide when minimized") might be a clue: your method is an alternative way to minimize, while Process Explorer's is somehow applied any time that the application is minimized.