Portable Chrome

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
USBman

Portable Chrome

#1 Post by USBman »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Google Chrome browser thread. View database entry]

----

I happened upon this posting with a link to a portable version of Google's new browser, Chrome. The direct link to that is available in German and a translated version in English.

Unlike the version in this forum topic, this version claims to truly be portable. I have not yet fully tested it, but it might be worth trying out.

SeanJohnShaffer

#2 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

It is pointless to even want a portable version of this program because it is a beta version, has many bugs, missing many useful features, and there are alternative browsers that do a fantastic job compared to it. I'll take Portable Firefox any day, unless Google Chrome shows that it is a better browser and offers something that Firefox lacks. Guess I'll have to wait for the future beta/stable releases.

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

It's said to have the thing that Firefox lacks the most already. Speed.

SeanJohnShaffer

#4 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

My Firefox works pretty fast, even with all of the addons I added to it. I use a few addons to help make my Firefox faster, and it is also compresses using UPX, so that helps. One addons I use to speed up Firefox is BetterCache. Still waiting for a 3.x compliant version of Fasterfox.

m^(2)

#5 Post by m^(2) »

Ever tried it with 30+ tabs open? No good.

SeanJohnShaffer

#6 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

I sure have, seems to work just as well. Plus, I run it from an external hard drive that appears to run programs from it faster than my thumb drive.

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

SeanJohnShaffer wrote:I sure have, seems to work just as well. Plus, I run it from an external hard drive that appears to run programs from it faster than my thumb drive.
Strange. I run from a fast local HDD. On not so bad machine.

SeanJohnShaffer

#8 Post by SeanJohnShaffer »

The portable FF I have that I run on my external hard drive is 238MB in size. Huge, because I have many addons so that my browser is all my frequently-used apps in one.

MiDoJo

#9 Post by MiDoJo »

not very portable really (creates files (a .bak in the folder above it) Application Folders (Chromium with bookmarks and more in the %apps% Dir) and reg entries including OPEN WITH)

Also didn't seem to work (For me) Vista SP1

radi8

#10 Post by radi8 »

it is portable. Goof effort - should be presented on Portable Freeware!

Numanoid

Is Chrome portable?

#11 Post by Numanoid »

Have anybody been trying out the new Google browser Chrome, do you in case know if it needs to be installed or if it can function on it's own, as a portable app?

Numanoid

#12 Post by Numanoid »

Sorry, I looked in the wrong part of the forum :oops:

http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3821

Numanoid

#13 Post by Numanoid »

MiDoJo wrote:not very portable really (creates files (a .bak in the folder above it) Application Folders (Chromium with bookmarks and more in the %apps% Dir) and reg entries including OPEN WITH)
Yeah, I get the same problem :(

MiDoJo

#14 Post by MiDoJo »

Also (and this is from the Major Geeks and the Original blog Installs)

If I run it with admin privileges (via regfromapp) I can open it but only can navigate to the error screen

If I run it regular I get an app error.

OH Yeah and it's Google, so it's perpetual beta and if you have issues the response will be "sorry it's beta we'll fix it when we fix it"

I claim shenanigans on both portability and this whole apps existence (yet another webkit project that will be unpatched as webkit gets patched)

avmad

Re: Portable Chrome - Application Error on run

#15 Post by avmad »

Hi all,

After install of Chrome Portable into my PortableApps folder (on XP Pro), I run it from the PortableApps menu.

I get an application (0xc0...05) error right away.

BTW - This also occurs with the Iron Portable install.

My other portable apps load fine (including FireFox portable).

Any ideas why this is occurring?

Thanks!

avmad