ThinLoader: easily run any program on a Thinstall sandbox

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
garbanzo

#61 Post by garbanzo »

i just read this thread for the first time, and this is an interesting concept, but i have one question - is there any advantage to using this over making your own thinstalled apps?

if you have no moral qualms about using a launcher made with a 'special' copy of thinapp, why not just take full control and thinstall them yourself? the latest version of thinapp is easily acquired and easy to use...

(so i've heard)

kuihdez

#62 Post by kuihdez »

I use this to see what the app does, if it installs to registry, where it plants the seeds and look at it to see if it's clean...

also, to check out if a program is a virus or not.

kuihdez

#63 Post by kuihdez »

freakazoid wrote:
kuihdez wrote:There you go...

http://rapidshare.com/files/138352841/T ... 2.rar.html

found this here !!!

Made With ThinApp 4.0.2 and Corrections made to the AutoIt Script.
thanks for compiling... just wondering what "corrections" were made to the original?
read the hole thread !!!! :)

garbanzo

#64 Post by garbanzo »

kuihdez wrote:I use this to see what the app does, if it installs to registry, where it plants the seeds and look at it to see if it's clean...

also, to check out if a program is a virus or not.
well i use sandboxie and regfromapp for that. but isn't the point of this to allow you to install an app into a sandbox to make it portable?

well at any rate, i'm getting pretty good with thinapp so i'll just keep doing it that way :)

lococobra

#65 Post by lococobra »

garbanzo wrote:is there any advantage to using this over making your own thinstalled apps?
I think the point is, not everyone wants to create a clean machine (virtual or not) to run Thinapp on, so for a lot of people Thinapp is a hassle. Thinloader is also considerably easier to use. I also don't really like downloading other people's thinstalled software because it's impossible to tell if they've done a good job building it, or if they have put other junk in there that's just taking up space. Thinloader packages would be a bit more distributable, since you can see and modify all included files.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't really prefer either of the two, but they usually work if nothing else does :P

m^(2)

#66 Post by m^(2) »

lococobra wrote:
garbanzo wrote:is there any advantage to using this over making your own thinstalled apps?
I think the point is, not everyone wants to create a clean machine (virtual or not) to run Thinapp on, so for a lot of people Thinapp is a hassle. Thinloader is also considerably easier to use. I also don't really like downloading other people's thinstalled software because it's impossible to tell if they've done a good job building it, or if they have put other junk in there that's just taking up space. Thinloader packages would be a bit more distributable, since you can see and modify all included files.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't really prefer either of the two, but they usually work if nothing else does :P
Add a very small file manager and you can modify contents. 8)
That's like 60 KB.

lococobra

#67 Post by lococobra »

I suppose one could launch a file manager from Thinloader if they really wanted to :P

garbanzo

#68 Post by garbanzo »

i often find thinstalled apps that do include a file manager, usually q-dir

http://q-dir.en.softonic.com/

i've not figured out how to do that yet, but it works quite well, giving you access to the sandboxed file system...

freakazoid

#69 Post by freakazoid »

kuihdez wrote:
freakazoid wrote:
kuihdez wrote:There you go...

http://rapidshare.com/files/138352841/T ... 2.rar.html

found this here !!!

Made With ThinApp 4.0.2 and Corrections made to the AutoIt Script.
thanks for compiling... just wondering what "corrections" were made to the original?
read the hole thread !!!! :)
i did and i'm still not sure what was done! :?

@garbanzo: i use ThinLoader because like lococobra said, I don't want to either use a clean machine to use ThinApp or have access to a clean virtual machine with XP installed.

sometimes i see thinstalled apps with Total Commander.
but i don't like the fact that you have to have a file manager bundled into an app... unnecessary bloat if you ask.

i also don't like the fact that some thinstalled apps sandbox all external drives! that's a pet peeve! especially when you're using a portable drive!

garbanzo

#70 Post by garbanzo »

why all the jazz about a clean or virtual machine? i use thinapp on my laptop and get satisfactory results...

lococobra

#71 Post by lococobra »

If you don't run thinapp from a brand new computer image, you're almost guaranteed to create programs which will fail on other machines. It's important to not have any dependencies pre-installed, that way thinapp will capture the dependencies as well as the main app. Also, capturing the system snapshots is much faster on a clean machine.

garbanzo

#72 Post by garbanzo »

thanks for the explanation. i only use my own thinstalled apps on my own machine, so i should be OK. i just store them on an external drive and call them when i need them, so i don't have to install things i only use once in a while.

anyway my computer has very few things installed on it. my XP is stripped bare with nlite, and i just have an alternate shell, DOpus, Firefox, VLC, Sandboxie, and ThinApp. everything else i use is portable :)

kuihdez

#73 Post by kuihdez »

@garbanzo : all those apps can be made portable

@freakazoid: It's compiled using some modifications from lococobra to the auto it script, and thinapped with the latest thinstall with a lot of bug corrections.

garbanzo

#74 Post by garbanzo »

kuihdez wrote:@garbanzo : all those apps can be made portable
well... VLC and Firefox for sure, but i use those so often, i prefer installed versions, they're quicker on my old rig. sandboxie and thinapp portable? ok, if you think so, i can look into it. actually my sandboxie might be a portable one

but my shell - impossible. it's too integrated into Windows. also, DOpus... if i make it portable, it can't replace Explorer. that's no good at all!

also, i forgot about AnyDVD - surely that won't work as a portable?

castman

Hum

#75 Post by castman »

Someone can explain me why thinstalling freeware apps ?? :lol:

I think the best thing to do is to have your favorite launcher in Hands or Take off manually (with some experience) the traces/settings and store on a portable format.

And also I don't see another use for ThinLoader which isn't for extracting purposes.

Today with NirSoft tools and WhatChanged you can analyse an entire system snapshot (what works best in VirtualBox)

When I build my own ThinLoader I used a old cracked version of Thinstall and also I don't use it today (I may never use).

I really avoid piracy at all costs. 99% of my apps are freeware today, thankfully to this site.