JauntePE 0110 DLL App-End Crash

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
M@tty

JauntePE 0110 DLL App-End Crash

#1 Post by M@tty »

I'm working on making an old application called GBAfront portable.

The current JauntePE_JauntePE.ini file is as follows:

Code: Select all

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=..\Settings.dat

[Filesystem]
Use=0

[RegistryExclude]
1=*

[RegistryInclude]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GBAfront
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Emulators\VisualBoyAdvance

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=GBAfront.exe
2=VisualBoyAdvance.exe
This works fine, but I am using the 0110 DLL and experiencing the (not particularly sporadic... it happens every time) app-end crashing. The program can be closed fine from Task Manager, and the settings are still written properly to the file, but it's annoying to have to end it from the Task Manager.

Are there any changes I can make to the JauntePE_JauntePE.ini file to avoid this, for example with the MemRegistry options? I cannot find a copy of the 0164 DLL for download, which supposedly fixes this problem, so alternatively if anyone else has this DLL and can PM me a download link it would be much appreciated.

Another approach... is there a way to make JauntePE not write it's settings out? What I mean is to trap the registry calls, but then discard them, rather than try to write them to a file. The settings the program saves are trivial default settings, all I really want is stealth I'm not bothered about changing settings.

Thanks in advance

Firewrath

#2 Post by Firewrath »

well, this prolly wont help,
but, i use 0.1.1 with Tinyspell, try not using an .ini file and see what happens,
IE:
jauntePE.dll
madCHook.dll
<app>_portable.exe

it'll create a .reg file in the main folder and should redirect files,
(if you used the built in JPE.exe creator and told it to)

ive never had it freeze or anything,

just see if that works,

i dont recall the 0.1.1 JPE using the module stuff though,
i didnt think that was added till 0.1.2 or later, but im not 100% sure,
then again, i didnt know itd use a .dat file to store the registry in either, O_o
so yeah, :P
but it should still redirect child apps,

as for it not saving the registry, redllar was working on something that would kind of do that in a later version, but none of the versions of JPE he released would do that, far as i remember,

otherwise, i cant be of much help, -_-
sorry,

M@tty

#3 Post by M@tty »

Firewrath wrote:try not using an .ini file and see what happens
Well I can launch the program and it will redirect the registry calls to a file called GBAfront_registry.reg, but it still hangs on close. So, this didn't work. Even if it didn't hang on close this would still not be an option, the program has a Readme that launches within Internet Explorer and without the ModuleExclude=* entry in the settings file it will try to redirect all Internet Explorer registry usage which makes it slowwww to use.
Firewrath wrote:i dont recall the 0.1.1 JPE using the module stuff though,
i didnt think that was added till 0.1.2 or later, but im not 100% sure
Yes the module exclusion list works as far back as 0.1.1, and seems to be working properly as it excludes the spawned Internet Explorer process.
Firewrath wrote:i didnt know itd use a .dat file to store the registry in
JauntePE will redirect the registry calls to an ASCII file, it really doesn't matter what the extension of the file is. I chose DAT because I intend to redistribute the project to my friends when finished and don't want them accidentally incorporating the registry file entries into their own registry.

Thanks for the ideas Firewrath, I acquired the 0.1.6.4 DLL and it fixed the problem, so if anyone else experiences the problem then Redllar's fixed DLL works perfectly.