JauntePE Bugs {all posted here}

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

JauntePE Bugs {all posted here}

#1 Post by crownixx »

to all experience JauntePE user,

since JauntePE is a pre-alfa software, i think we should make a list all the bugs in one place so that other new JauntePE user can use this as reference..
post the bugs found and if possible,the solution/trick that can be used to solve that bugs

grannyGeek

JauntePE not stealthy under Vista

#2 Post by grannyGeek »

Not really a bug, but as I posted in the trouble-shooting forum, JPE is no longer stealthy under Vista.
I get error message "JauntePE can only run under MS 2000 or newer", so I had to use the Compatability Wizard to run it under WinXP SP2 compatibility mode. This happens for running JPE itself, and the application wrappers I had created.

RegShot won't work under Vista, but RegSeeker found over 20 registry entries for each wrapper I checked.

sigh.
I guess Microsoft would say "It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE".
:(

crownixx

#3 Post by crownixx »

thanks grannyGeek for the first report. i just pick from http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1605

reported from TPFC Fan

Bugs/nonfunctional: cannot hook User Data folder ("c:\Documents and Settings\bla\bla") from other WinXp language than English

Solution: no solution
Last edited by crownixx on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgp

#4 Post by sgp »

crownixx wrote:thanks grannyGeek for the first report. i just pick from http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1605

reported from TPFC Fan

Bugs/nonfunctional: cannot hook Filesystem or special directory from other WinXp language than English

Solution: no solution. limit the use of JauntePE for English WinXP only
Hi crownixx, well the thread you posted doesn't quite say that JauntPE can't hook Filesystem. What is says is User Data folder, as in "c:\Documents and Settings\bla\bla". and even then, the OP is left wondering if this problem could be bypassed. I don't know myself, but I think that JauntePE should be able to hook at least files in c:\windows regardless of the WinXP language.

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

a'ah, sory for that. i just post the bugs founded by other guy to this thread here so that everybody can access in one place.try to collect them. thanks sgp for correcting me.

well, here's my own finding. i download JauntePE from TPFC before the server down.i guess it is the same JauntePE used by Firewarth

Bugs/nonfunctional:If you go to Settings>Registry tab OR File System tab>Exceptions, there should be buttons at the red area

Solution: use Hex Editor to fix the dialog box. or you can easily download the patch i made

Code: Select all

http://mihd.net/0g1ypb
final result after the patch

crownixx

#6 Post by crownixx »

mybe redllar would like to fix this in new version of JauntePE

Bugs/nonfunctional:
Unable to hook at the root of
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}

I tried to put it in [FilesystemInclude] but still no success

redllar

#7 Post by redllar »

Sorry for not getting to these sooner.
Not really a bug, but as I posted in the trouble-shooting forum, JPE is no longer stealthy under Vista.
There was only one beta version Vista test by someone other than me. It was reported that JPE ran fine in the limited case I had him test. I can't say anymore as the information given is incomplete and I don't even have XP to test on anymore. I'd be willing to send you a logging version of the JPE runtime if you want to try and find out what's wrong.
I get error message "JauntePE can only run under MS 2000 or newer", so I had to use the Compatability Wizard to run it under WinXP SP2 compatibility mode.
Should be fixed in the new version.
cannot hook User Data folder ("c:\Documents and Settings\bla\bla") from other WinXp language than English
It would be helpful if the bug reporter could say what the JPE runtime ini used for the app has in its [computername\username] section as far as special folder path names. The ##L= lines should agree with the registry contents found at "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders". I'm willing to try and get this fixed but I need someone with a non-english version of 2K or XP to help test.
If you go to Settings>Registry tab OR File System tab>Exceptions, there should be buttons at the red area
I think this was a 2K only problem, or an old Explorer shell version problem, or a problem related to the shell font in use. Anyway, I think I may have fixed it in the new version if you'd like to go see.
Unable to hook at the root of C:\Documents and Settings\{username} I tried to put it in [FilesystemInclude] but still no success
In the JPE runtime ini you're using for the app, you should have a [computername\username] section, with a Created=1 line followed by a bunch of lines that start with numbers, e.g., "38L=C:\Program Files;38", "43S=C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1;43", and
"38S=C:\PROGRA~1;38". There should be a 40L and a 40S line in there. If not, then that's the problem, but it may be due to your particular system not supporting that special folder type. The way to tell this is to see if it shows up in the "JPE Settings->File System->Exceptions->Includes->Add->Special File Folder Paths" drop down list. If it does, and if using it adds a 1=40 line to the [FilesystemInclude] section, then it probably is a bug somewhere in the JPE runtime.

grannyGeek

#8 Post by grannyGeek »

Redllar, just a quick note that I no longer have Vista installed due to a disastrous attempt to install a dual-boot XP partition, so sorry to say, I can't do any bug-hunts in Vista.

Just want to add, that when I set it to "XP compatability mode", the wrappers functioned ok, just not so stealthy anymore. in case that info is of any use ........

redllar

#9 Post by redllar »

Okay, thanks granny.

crownixx

#10 Post by crownixx »

There should be a 40L and a 40S line in there. If not, then that's the problem, but it may be due to your particular system not supporting that special folder type. The way to tell this is to see if it shows up in the "JPE Settings->File System->Exceptions->Includes->Add->Special File Folder Paths" drop down list. If it does, and if using it adds a 1=40 line to the [FilesystemInclude] section
Yes, i already did that and my %userprofile% is there in the drop down list. But the result still the same, JauntePE
cannot hook those special folder. i guess it is bug in the JPE runtime

redllar

#11 Post by redllar »

There should be a 40L and a 40S line in there. If not, then that's the problem, but it may be due to your particular system not supporting that special folder type. The way to tell this is to see if it shows up in the "JPE Settings->File System->Exceptions->Includes->Add->Special File Folder Paths" drop down list. If it does, and if using it adds a 1=40 line to the [FilesystemInclude] section
Yes, i already did that and my %userprofile% is there in the drop down list. But the result still the same, JauntePE
cannot hook those special folder. i guess it is bug in the JPE runtime
Okay, I looked at this last night and for some reason I put in code to explicitly ignore this special directory. :) I *think* maybe it's because it's the parent of a number of the other special directories and causing it to be redirected, and hence all of its subdirectories to be redirected, would cause all sorts of problems with the basic functionality of Windows.

So I think something new needs to be introduced. Maybe something like 1=%40%\file and 1=%40%\directory, so you could indicate specific files and directories without impacting the others. Maybe also some way to indicate just the files within that folder. Something like 1=%40Files%.

I don't know. I'll try and do some testing and see why I decided to add in that test to prevent its contents from being redirected.

In the meantime, what specifically are you trying to redirect?

crownixx

#12 Post by crownixx »

its a normal version of wxDownload Fast download manager and available here

http://dfast.sourceforge.net/download.html
i try to hook its wxDownloadFast.ini
The normal release was created to be installed on the computer, this way all the program configurations stay saved on the user folder(normally Documents and Settings\usuer).
but another simple testing, i try save text file to %userprofile% using JauntePE Notepad and that text file fails to redirect to the JauntePE Filesystem

redllar

#13 Post by redllar »

crownixx wrote:its a normal version of wxDownload Fast download manager and available here

http://dfast.sourceforge.net/download.html
i try to hook its wxDownloadFast.ini
The normal release was created to be installed on the computer, this way all the program configurations stay saved on the user folder(normally Documents and Settings\usuer).
but another simple testing, i try save text file to %userprofile% using JauntePE Notepad and that text file fails to redirect to the JauntePE Filesystem
Yes, the user profile directory by itself is not supported by the 011 or older versions and allowing you to select it in the GUI is a bug.

For the 012 version I am going to allow the user profile directory to be used in a way that will let you indicate specific sub-directories and files to be re-directed. But you still won't be able to redirect it and all of its contents with one entry. If I re-introduce that capability that will also re-introduce all of the problems which caused me to take it out in the first place.

BTW, someone needs to tell those devs that they should not be storing data there. Even MS says not to. They should be storing in app data if they refuse to store it portably.

crownixx

#14 Post by crownixx »

a lot of application i try to portablized and only this application app store it's settings to %userprofile%. Yes, its a rare case

Snow123

#15 Post by Snow123 »

I don't know. I'll try and do some testing and see why I decided to add in that test to prevent its contents from being redirected.