fre:ac [CD ripper & audio encoder; formerly BonkEnc]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.7

#16 Post by enzo »

I just published BonkEnc v1.0.7 on http://www.bonkenc.org.

The new release includes a lot of bugfixes. Upgrading is strongly recommended.

Enzo

spaztastic

fre:ac - cd ripper and encoder [formerly BonkEnc]

#17 Post by spaztastic »

A Portable version of the CD-Ripping software has been released. Check it out at:

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide ... c_portable

ashghost

natively portable

#18 Post by ashghost »

Bonkenc is already in the database:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=570

This is just another "PortableApp" that's a repackage of already portable software.

spaztastic

#19 Post by spaztastic »

Yes but the BonkEnc listed is the regular BonkEnc. BonkEnc Portable is a different release of the same app, but because it isn't listed in the database as BonkEnc Portable, I posted this under Submissions so that Andrew can add it. And either way, whether it is in Updates or Submissions, it will be integrated into the database.

ashghost

Actually

#20 Post by ashghost »

If you check the TPFC database for other "PortableApps" with official, original, portable versions, the PortableApps versions are not referenced:

Notepad++
XAMPP
WinSCP
PDFTK Builder
Sumatra PDF
KeePass
PeaZip
winMD5Sum
WinDirStat
VLC
InfraRecorder
Virtual Magnifying Glass
DOSBox
BonkEnc

The exceptions I can find in the database are Miranda, Pidgin, and FileZilla, all of which have slightly more complicated native portable installation instructions. The TPFC entries just include a line offering Haller's as an alternative.

PuTTY Portable is different, because there's no official portable release and only the PortableApps version is listed, though several alternatives are listed in the comments.

Don't get me wrong, I have several PortableApps on my USB drive. Not only are some of his NSIS wrappers useful, there are some original apps over there, like Toucan, that I like. What bothers me is that there are so many for which the only differences from the original releases are that his installer imposes some subfolder structure and integrates the app with his menu, but he pretty much takes credit for making them portable. Above are 17 apps (and below are 2 more) that he didn't need to do much (if anything) with to make portable. His list is padded even further with 4 Firefox/Thunderbird extensions - the download buttons just link to the original "addons.mozilla.org" downloads! It's just a little disingenuous.

If Andrew wants to include a line in the database entry of each of the above apps linking to Haller's version, that's his prerogative, I suppose, but I think the preference should be for ONLY listing the original release unless something's actually different in the alternative release. The alternative MPlayer GUIs, for instance, offer different user experiences. If there's not a portable version from the original developers, then anything goes, I suppose.

By the way, for anyone else who uses PortableApps only when there's not an official portable release, AFAIK the only PortableApps not listed above that are already portable are PokerTH (not in TPFC) and MPlayer (the official, portable GUI release of which is not in TPFC), though I may have missed one or two. :D

spaztastic

#21 Post by spaztastic »

Yes, John didn't have to do much to make the apps in the PAF Format, but it still takes a little work. The PortableApps are meant to be used with the PortableApps Menu, or even a similar menu. He is just making it easier to people. Also, his installers don't create uninstall entries in the Add/Remove Programs list. Yes, I know it is very easy to remove those entries using a program such as MyUninstaller but I'd rather not have to go in and do that for each app. Plus, the PortableApps make launching the programs a tad bit simpler by having one shortcut to launch the app within the main directory of the installed PA. Some apps have numerous files in the install directory that you have to kind of go through and find the one that launches the app. Yea, that's not hard but once again, it makes it easier. Also take into account the fact that not everyone who uses the PortableApps are completely computer literate. John makes it simpler. That's is the conecpt of PortableApps.com because anyone with enough knowledge about software could figure out that they don't need the PortableApps and could just download the original version and install it straight to their portable device.

enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.8

#22 Post by enzo »

I just released BonkEnc v1.0.8 which now includes LAME 3.98 and Ogg Vorbis aoTuV Beta 5.5.

The new release is available from bonkenc.org.

alanbcohen

#23 Post by alanbcohen »

Thank you. BonkEnc has been my primary ripping tool for a long time (it seems).

enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.9

#24 Post by enzo »

I released BonkEnc v1.0.9 today. It features an improved configuration dialog for LAME, translation updates and the usual bunch of bug fixes.

The new release is available from bonkenc.org.

enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.10

#25 Post by enzo »

I just released BonkEnc v1.0.10.

It includes updates for LAME and Ogg Vorbis, some translation updates and various bug fixes.

You can get it from bonkenc.org.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,
Robert

enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.11

#26 Post by enzo »

I just released BonkEnc v1.0.11.

It includes an updated FAAC/FAAD2 AAC encoder/decoder, translation updates and several important bug fixes. It also features a new <directory> file name pattern that allows to rebuild an existing subdirectory structure in the output directory.

You can get it from bonkenc.org.

Best Regards,
Robert

enzo

BonkEnc v1.0.12

#27 Post by enzo »

I just released BonkEnc v1.0.12.

It now includes Ogg Vorbis aoTuV beta 5.7. Also comes with translation updates and some compatibility fixes.

Download it from bonkenc.org.

Best regards,
Robert

Checker

BonkEnc Portable V1.0.12

#28 Post by Checker »

Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

enzo

#29 Post by enzo »

The Portable Freeware entry is for the official release of BonkEnc which is portable too (i.e. not the PortableApps.com edition).

Still it needs to be updated to 1.0.12.

enzo

#30 Post by enzo »

Bumping this up as it has not been updated, yet.