WinPenPack's X-Launcher updated

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
lwc

Re: WinPenPack's X-Launcher update?

#16 Post by lwc »

sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:52 am Ok, now I'm really confused! Are you saying the only thing required is the AutoRun.inf file? Or does the AutoRun.exe have to be portably installed too?
Thinking about it, it looks like you install ARM, wherever, then put an AutoRun.inf in the app to be made portable. The AutoRun references the AutoRun.exe and hey presto, it portablises the app you want made portable?! That right? lol
I still don't know what you mean by ARM.
In any case, you need just 2 files - INF and EXE, that's all. The INF has the settings for the launcher, while the EXE is the launcher itself.
Is there a template AutoRun.inf or an app that's extensively portablised via the INF so I can look see what goes on?
The program comes with a sample INF file with various examples that show highlighted features.
You can also browse through the linked thread below for smaller samples.
The readme in GitHub also refers to specific settings.
sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:02 pm Will give this a try and see how it goes, but it seems like lwc is onto something with that AutoRun, so am looking at that too!
Thanks!
Thanks a lot for your help, both of you :)
No problem.
Is there a specific thread for AutoRun launcher?
Yes, as pointed out in the program's listing in this website, it's here.

sl23

#17 Post by sl23 »

ARM = AutoRunMenu

The two files are the AutoRun.exe and AutoRun.inf, yes? I assume these then act in a similar way as X-Launcher, is that right?

Thanks for the link and explaining better. I found the whole GitHub page a bit confusing as to the way this worked. :(

Again, moving to your thread for AutoRun support. :)
Latest X-Launcher_x64 update - Compiled with Aut2exe_x64.exe v3.3.16.1
Latest X-Launcher_x64 v1.5.4 update - Compiled with Aut2exe_x64.exe v3.2.12.1

sl23

#18 Post by sl23 »

I would still like to get X-Launcher compiled to x64 if anyone can help please?

lwc

#19 Post by lwc »

sl23 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:09 am The two files are the AutoRun.exe and AutoRun.inf, yes?
Yes.

rbon

#20 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:20 pm Ok, first attempt and no luck! It created an X-Launcher, but x32, wrong name and without icons.
Any ideas?
A few words about X-Launcher.
'X-Launcher' is it is a scheme generic that must be personalized with:
1. features of the app that needs to be customized (for LibreOffice update Java version)
2. the launcher MUST must be renamed with the name of the application to be customized

X-Launcher, and its customizations, are always:
1. sourche code is packaged in an archive with this structure

Code: Select all

#  Archivio X-LibreOffice_launcher_1.5.4_rev20.source.zip
Readme
Readme\authors_en.txt
Readme\authors_it.txt
Readme\credits_en.txt
Readme\credits_it.txt
Readme\java_download.html
Readme\launcher_info_en.txt
Readme\launcher_info_it.txt
Readme\license_en.txt
Readme\license_it.txt
Readme\release.txt
Readme\wpp_home.html
Readme\wpp_info_en.txt
Readme\wpp_info_it.txt
Readme\x-launcher_changelog_en.txt
Readme\x-launcher_changelog_it.txtX-LibreOffice
X-LibreOffice\files
X-LibreOffice\files\x-default
X-LibreOffice\files\x-install.au3
X-LibreOffice\graphics
X-LibreOffice\graphics\x-icon.ico
X-LibreOffice\graphics\x-splash.jpg
X-LibreOffice\x-launcher.ini
X-LibreOffice\X-LibreOffice.au3
_x-launcher
_x-launcher\image_get_size.au3
_x-launcher\x-launcher.au3
_x-launcher\x-registry.au3
_x-launcher\x-udf.au3eate
#
# File
# 30
2. 32 bit programs (after compilation)

X-Launcher source code are hosted on Sourceforge.net in a subfolder of the program name:
for example X-LibreOffice is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpen ... breOffice/, then 'launcher_sources' and finally You can download latest source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpen ... p/download.

How to create a compiled version of the personalized launcher:
1. create asubfolder with name, for example, 'launcher64'
2. unzip in this susfolder the downloaded source archive
3. open X-SciTE and open the file 'X-LibreOffice\X-LibreOffice.au3'
--> remember that X-program_name is Always the main source code folder and the file X-LibreOffice\X-LibreOffice.au3 is the main source code
--> remember that the main source code contains relative path to other subfolders (_x-launcher and Readme)
4. change the parameter '#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y' with Yes and Save the modified file .au3 (AutoIt source code)
5. go to Tools --> Compile for obtain X-LibreOffice.exe (64 bit)

The compiled launcher has his icon ? NO (and I don't know how to insert it).

for manage icon You need of 2 (two) programs:
1. IconExtract for Nirsoft https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html for extract all icons (as cumulative file) from official program installer
2. Resource Hacker Portable from PortableApps https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities ... r-portable

I will tell You, with separate post, how to import the icon in compiled source code.

I have loaded on MediaFire my updated version of source code of X-LibreOffice_launcher:
X-LibreOffice_launcher_x64_updated.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/ds9lyv5n ... d.zip/file
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

rbon

#21 Post by rbon »

rbon wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:34 pm I will tell You, with separate post, how to import the icon in compiled source code.
You have already obtained the program icons and now You can open Resource Hacker for import the icons in X-LibreOffice.exe:
1. open Resource Hacker
2. (menu bar) File -> Open -> X-LibreOffice.exe
3. on left window expand and select Icon Group and select an Icon
4. (menu bar) Action -> Replace icon ... -> Open file with new icon -> (confirm) Icon to replace -> Replace
5. (menu bar) File -> Save (overwrite existing opened file or save with another name)
6. exit from Resource Hacker
7. if You have overwrite the existing opened file, delete X-LibreOffice-original.exe

You can also read on How To Geek a short step-by-step (mini)Tutorial with name How to Modify the Icon of an EXE File https://www.howtogeek.com/75983/stupid- ... .exe-file/

A this point You can browse on Sourceforge.net and look for Your program for update the existing X-Launcher (X-program_name launcher):
1. Sourceforge.net https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpenpack/files/
2. press Name for sort X-applications in alphabetical order
3. press on X-application name
4. browse on launcher_sources and download most recent launcher.
5. done 8)
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

sl23

#22 Post by sl23 »

I'm a bit confused here. I just want to compile the X-Launcher on it's own. Surely names and icons that are included with the X-Launcher source are sufficient to compile it? Clearly the official X-Launcher has been compiled as it stands now, so compiling for 64bit should simply recreate the same generic X-Launcher.exe, but as a 64bit one?

I already downloaded X-Launcher source from the official WinPenPack site as it comes packed with the EXE. When I compile it using your first intructions, it actually works, the primary issue is that it doesn't create a 64bit version. But I mention that it names the compiled EXE as x-compiler and with no icon, because they are actually already defined in the source code, but seem to be ignored during compile, as is the instruction: #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y

I understand and have used Resource Hacker for changing icons recently, so I'm fine with that. It has certainly improved from when I last used it about 10 years ago. Seems much better and works every time now.

Once I can create an X-Launcher.exe x64, I can then just change the icon with ResHack as and when needed. All the naming version number and other info is irrelevant as these are purely for personal use. :)

rbon

#23 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:39 pm I'm a bit confused here. I just want to compile the X-Launcher on it's own. Surely names and icons that are included with the X-Launcher source are sufficient to compile it? Clearly the official X-Launcher has been compiled as it stands now, so compiling for 64bit should simply recreate the same generic X-Launcher.exe, but as a 64bit one?

I already downloaded X-Launcher source from the official WinPenPack site as it comes packed with the EXE. When I compile it using your first intructions, it actually works, the primary issue is that it doesn't create a 64bit version. But I mention that it names the compiled EXE as x-compiler and with no icon, because they are actually already defined in the source code, but seem to be ignored during compile, as is the instruction: #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
My answers:
1. about official X-Launcher You don't know how it has been created (regarding icons)
2. at moment the instructions for insert the right icons in new x-launcher for Your application are ignored.
3. the program must create a 64-bit version since it calls the executable Aut2exe_x64.exe contained in 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3\Bin\AutoIt\3.3.16.1\Aut2Exe\'

Please consider not using this X-launcher but Autorun LWMenu or yaP. My support for X-Launcher ends now.

sl23

#24 Post by sl23 »

rbon wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:34 pm A few words about X-Launcher.
X-Launcher, and its customizations, are always:
2. 32 bit programs (after compilation)

How to create a compiled version of the personalized launcher:
1. create asubfolder with name, for example, 'launcher64'
5. go to Tools --> Compile for obtain X-LibreOffice.exe (64 bit)

I have loaded on MediaFire my updated version of source code of X-LibreOffice_launcher:
X-LibreOffice_launcher_x64_updated.zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/ds9lyv5n ... d.zip/file
Thanks for the detailed info! I really appreciate your time doing this and understand your reluctance to continue, but if you wouldn't mind clarifying this one thing for me as I don't understand your instruction below. This seems a bit contradictory:
X-Launcher... are always: 32 bit programs (after compilation)
But then you are saying to create a x64 version launcher folder:
create a compiled version of the personalized launcher:
create asubfolder with name, for example, 'launcher64'
Compile for obtain X-LibreOffice.exe (64 bit)
I also tried your version X-LibreOffice_launcher_x64_updated.zip
So, can you see where I'm confused? I wish to create a generic 64bit X-Launcher.exe, but you said that compiling always results in 32bit programs. Is it possible to compile an x64 version or not?

Everything I try results in an X-Launcher that is 32bit. I don't understand why that is. I have set the instruction to #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y which tells AutoIt to compile the EXE as a 64bit one doesn't it? Yet it always outputs as 32bit.

Also, the your LibreOffice Launcher creates a specific INI file for that one app rather than a generic one, which is what I am after.

Thanks for any help you can offer and I understand if you no longer want to. I just really liked how X-Launcher works, and would like to continue with it as long as possible. I am looking at AutoRun too, it just seems much more complex for me.

EDIT: Found this page, that says you can use Aut2Exe directly to compile to x64, which works. Seems to be resolved, just need to test now, thanks for all your help. Will still try out th AutoRun Menu see how I get on but at least until I figure that out, I can keep using X-Launcher x64! :)

rbon

#25 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:39 am
X-Launcher... are always: 32 bit programs (after compilation)
This sentence must to be correct as:
X-Launcher... are always: 32 bit or 64 bit programs (after compilation)
then You wrote
sl23 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:39 am So, can you see where I'm confused? I wish to create a generic 64bit X-Launcher.exe, but you said that compiling always results in 32bit programs. Is it possible to compile an x64 version or not?
I think that You are right. Sorry.

Yes, it's possible to compile an x64 version.

I have investigated this problem.
I thought there must be an error in X-Scite (in its configuration)
so I went to the '\X-SciTE4AutoIt3\Bin\AutoIt\3.3.16.1\Aut2Exe\' folder and replaced the 'Aut2exe.exe' file with the content of file 'Aut2exe_64.exe' file and compiled normally (with #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y)
The result is a 1,142 KB X-LibreOffice.exe file (without new icons).
To be sure I uploaded it to VirusTotal at this link https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/3e8 ... 85/details
and, as you can see, the file is really 64 bit: see the value of 'Magic' and it's PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64, for MS Windows.

It remains to understand how to correctly set up X-SciTE. :roll:

rbon

#26 Post by rbon »

rbon wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:08 am It remains to understand how to correctly set up X-SciTE. :roll:
I haven't (yet) understood why X-SciTE doesn't want to compile in 64 bit.
However there is a shortcut:
1. go to 'X-SciTE4AutoIt3\Bin\AutoIt\3.3.16.1\Aut2Exe'
2. double click on the 'Aut2exe_x64.exe'
3. fill in the form
4. choose the icon
5. press Convert to create the 64-bit executable

This executable recognize the Windows system and, if 64 bit, automatically flag the x64 box.
Here is an image of this conversion:

sl23

#27 Post by sl23 »

Thank you for continuing your support.
  • May I ask, have you tested the X-LibreOffice.exe 64 bit Launcher?
  • I am also wondering, why do you use the LibreOffice version of the source code and not the actual X-Launcher source code?
  • Is it more up to date somehow?
  • Won't the LibreOffice source have been set for use as the launcher for LibreOffice instead of a generic one?
  • For some reason, the SplashScreen doesn't get compiled with the rest of the code. Would you know why?
I have found the website, linked above, that explained how to use Aut2Exe to compile a 64bit program. It seems to work ok, but there is an error on closing the launched app:
X-Launcher x64 - Error.png
I have no idea why?
This is compiling from either the original X-Launcher source or the X-LibreOffice updated launcher you supplied. Same error in either case. So It seems there may be an error in the source code somewhere, or Aut2Exe is at fault.

If I could solve this issue then that may be the end of it and I may then attempt to switch all apps over to this new x64Launcher. Least until I can get AutoRun.exe to work as I want it to.

Thank you for your help. :)

sl23

#28 Post by sl23 »

I recompiled the X-Launcher source with Aut2Exe_x64, as before, and the issue continues. No Splash Screen and the error remains.

I then recompiled the X-LibreOffice_launcher_x64_updated source the same and the error has gone but the SplashScreen still doesn't work.

I know it's minor, but I would like to get that working if you have any ideas on it please? Then I'll leave you alone, promise! :mrgreen:

rbon

#29 Post by rbon »

sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am Thank you for continuing your support.
  • May I ask, have you tested the X-LibreOffice.exe 64 bit Launcher?
NO
sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am
  • I am also wondering, why do you use the LibreOffice version of the source code and not the actual X-Launcher source code?
I do not usually compile X-Launcher, I have only tried with X-LibreOffice because I have customized source code especially for Java.
Go to folder _x-launcher
I have customized the files:
- x-launcher.au3: row 9, 68 and 69
- x-registry.au3: only row 13
- udf.au3: only row 13
  • Is it more up to date somehow?
no, it's only customized
  • Won't the LibreOffice source have been set for use as the launcher for LibreOffice instead of a generic one?
the rule, in my opinion, is to take X-launcher and adapt it to the program you want to portabilize.
this is because when you launch the modified x-launcher, if x-launcher.ini does not exist, it is created. I have read source code, but I don't remember where.
  • For some reason, the SplashScreen doesn't get compiled with the rest of the code. Would you know why?
I don't know this.
Try to insert a row in X-LibreOffice.au3. After row 3, insert a row like these
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Splash=graphics\x-splash.jpg
(this is an experiment)
sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am I have found the website, linked above, that explained how to use Aut2Exe to compile a 64bit program. It seems to work ok, but there is an error on closing the launched app:
X-Launcher x64 - Error.png
I have no idea why?
You must use Aut2exe_x64.exe
sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am This is compiling from either the original X-Launcher source or the X-LibreOffice updated launcher you supplied. Same error in either case. So It seems there may be an error in the source code somewhere, or Aut2Exe is at fault.
X-Luncher source code is not perfect and it has many problems:
For example browse on X-LibreOffice.au3: the instructions from row 12 to row 19 (Field) must by show when You click on filename -> properties -> details
Nothing, no details in compiled file
sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am If I could solve this issue then that may be the end of it and I may then attempt to switch all apps over to this new x64Launcher. Least until I can get AutoRun.exe to work as I want it to.
X-launcher is difficult to adapt (you need to know AutoIt) even though the topics are grouped into sections.
sl23 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:44 am Thank you for your help. :)
this is what I know, and it is very little (unfortunately).
However you can use the original X-launcher and adapt the x-launcher.ini file (I read that you are very good).

sl23

#30 Post by sl23 »

Thanks for answering my questions.
I did use the Aut2Exe_x64.exe every time I compiled, but the error was there all the time.

I am happy to use the Generic Launcher as a template for other apps. It works, always has. I don't use apps with Java, I don't use Registry options in X-Launcher, just basic stuff as I posted previously.

Yeah, I wish I had the perseverance to learn it, even for this one thing, I suffer from chronic insomnia, so that's just not going to happen!

I appreciate you taking time to explain, really, so thanks for that. :)

PS: I'm really not very good! :(