REAPER

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
portackager

REAPER

#1 Post by portackager »

http://reaper.fm/
REAPER is a powerful Windows application for multitrack recording and editing of audio. REAPER is reasonably priced, sustainably developed, uncrippled unexpiring shareware.

* Portable - supports running from USB keys or other removable media
Just run reaper-to-usb.bat to copy the settings and program to USB.

Onesimus Prime

My 2 cents here...

#2 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Thanks for the pointer - I followed your link a while ago, portackager. It's a pretty amazing program, and up to version 2.51. Small, but does an awful lot. It's about 10 MB; I don't know about "stealth." I got the non-commercial license, which is only $50. That's sufficient, for now - I'm not selling my work yet!

But yeah, if you're looking for a good multi-tracker and are willing to pay for it, check out Reaper. (for all that's included, this is really inexpensive!)

They've also got a 64-bit version and an OS X beta...

C'mon everyone, don't fear the Reaper! :-)

Kermode

Re: My 2 cents here...

#3 Post by Kermode »

Onesimus Prime wrote: But yeah, if you're looking for a good multi-tracker and are willing to pay for it,
We're not - that's why we are on a freeware site.

Onesimus Prime

Re: REAPER

#4 Post by Onesimus Prime »

@ Kermode: Portable freeware site; "Portable Payware Discussion" subforum. :wink:

One of the (many) things I appreciate about this site is that there is space provided in the forums to mention/discuss applications that have one or more "strikes" disqualifying them from inclusion in the overall database--be that "payware" status, JAVA or .NET dependencies, etc. Sure, Reaper's not getting added to the TPFC database proper anytime soon, but I was glad to find out about it here from portackager's original post, and I was just giving my opinion as a now-user on the program he pointed out. It's not like either of us are spammers for it. (I know I'm relatively new here, but I'd like to think that ~65 posts count for something. :lol: )

But since this thread's been resurrected, a program update: Reaper is up to ver. 3.05, and they've significantly relaxed the licensing restrictions for the discount license. The cheaper license of the two (now $60) is valid "if any of the following is true:
  • 1. You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use.
    2. You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000.
    3. You are an educational or non-profit organization."
The second and third points are new--since version 3.0, I believe.

Oh, and even the OS X version can be used portably (instructions here).

juverax

Re: REAPER

#5 Post by juverax »

I am not sure it is worth mentioning this .... about Reaper ( https://www.cockos.com/reaper/ )

Reaper last freeware version 0.99 (Current version: 7.11)
Date: 07/28/2008
Size: 1.08 MB
License: Freeware
Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... sion).html