jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
siegfried

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#256 Post by siegfried »

Hello to Mr Linden and all forum members.

jabuTBackup wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 pm
siegfried wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 am 2- File types that are already compressed (zip, zipx, rar, bz2, cab, gz, gze, lha, lzh, docx, odg, odp, ods, odt, pdf, ott, pptx, xlsx, avi, mkv, mpg, mpg, mp4, gif, png, jpeg, ogg, aac, flac, mp3, wma, etc...) should not be compressed again but instead just copied.

It would be VERY useful (and way faster compressed backup archives creation) don't compress these files (but still add them to compressed backup archive).

It would be possible to add this very useful option to 7zip Exact Compress?
Update time! Version 13 update 63 has been released.

Changelog:
  1. <CUT>
  2. Added ability to compress or not compress archive files in source directory when using compress mode (see notes below)
    <CUT>

Do not compress archived files
    There is a new option available under Profile options » Other options » Show advanced archive options » File options. This new feature gives the user the ability to decide wether to compress already compressed files or not. Extensions can be added to the list. Files with these extensions will just be stored and not compressed again. Example extension to add: zip
In the latest versions I can no longer find the aforementioned option (I don't remember which version of jaBuT it started disappearing from).

Thank you.

jabuTBackup

#257 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello siegfried and sorry for the very late answer.

Currently I am working on some refactorings. Compression options will be refactored too. I try to add the option you are missing again in one of the next builds.

Best regards

vevy

#258 Post by vevy »

Hi, Michael

Congratulations on your excellent program. I am impressed.

I have a few points of feedback for you :D :

UI
  1. Remember maximized state on startup/restore from tray.
  2. An option to dock log in main view/window (for example, at the bottom).
  3. Option to change what double click on profile does: for example, double click to edit.
  4. Bulk edit tasks (change run time, backup mode, file comparison settings, etc).
  5. Bulk pause/resume profiles.
  6. Add a recycle bin icon to recycle bin tab. And always keep this tab at the end.
  7. Combine and improve details side bar and columns:
    1. Show Next run, Mode, Source, Destination, Group, Folder size as columns. Show the remaining parameters in the sidebar. This (which parameter goes where) can be user-customizable.
    2. Bug: Processing criterion currently only shows the first condition even when two are set.
    3. Bug: Destination directory sometimes shows the path text twice. For example, if the source is C:\first folder\second folder\ and destination path is D:\ (and recreate path is enabled), it is shown in the sidebar as D:\first folder\second folder\first folder\second folder\
    4. Show top-level included/excluded folders/files.
    5. Add a column for "last successful run".
    6. Remember Option and Setting coulmn width in the sidebar (lost on startup).
    7. Adjustable (draggable) separator between sidebar and profile list.

Behavior
  1. Bug: In profile properties, just opening the destination directory tab (without changing anything) triggers the save confirmation dialog when exiting.
  2. Bug: Profiles get automatically paused for some reason, with Next run date in the past. Update: It seems to happen if the PC sleeps or hibernates.
  3. Don't use the main UI thread for actual backup operations because it freezes the app itself on huge tasks (for hours, which is a problem even when on a separate thread/core, but at least we can follow the progress :D ).
  4. Write changed settings immediately to settings/profiles file. As of now, app crashes/freezes lead to loss.
  5. Option to force calculate folder size.

Profiles/Backup
  1. Multiple destinations.
  2. Allow both include and exclude in the same profile (backup intersection; e.g. exclude refers to subfolders of include directories).
  3. Bring back manual pattern inclusion/exclusion criteria. (regex?)
  4. What is the reason behind storing a list of all excluded files in profile-meta folder? Why not just included selected paths and apply the exclusion rule to the files found at run time.
  • A feature request for the long term: special sources for backup: registry/task scheduler/changed group policy values/etc.
Thanks again
Last edited by vevy on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

vevy

#259 Post by vevy »

Code: Select all

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
I see this error a lot. Isn't VSS supposed to overcome this error?

Another suggestion: retry locked files at the end of the backup job. Often the lock is momentary and won't be active on retrying.

Edit to add:
Thanks.png

jabuTBackup

#260 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello vevy and thank you very much for your detailled post.
Some items of your list are now in the program (version 2023.12.38144).
VSS is also now working as intended.

"Write changed settings immediately to settings/profiles file. As of now, app crashes/freezes lead to loss."
I am not sure about this. Isn't it written to disk immediately for you? This functionality is implemented since more than 1 or 2 years now.

"Out of the main thread, multiple source and destination directories etc".
This is coming also soon. Unfortunately I can only say "soon" because a refactor is needed for this and my daily job eats nearly all of my time. I can only work the weekend on jaBuT.

But... I will work on everything what's possible =)

Best regards

Midas

#261 Post by Midas »

On behalf of our little community, let me express my thanks for consistently sharing your work with us, jabuTBackup. 8)

vevy

#262 Post by vevy »

Ditto.

Thanks a lot Michael and hopefully I will make a post giving feedback.

vevy

#263 Post by vevy »

I have been wanting to create an updated list of feedback for JaBuT, but I couldn't make it in time.

However, some bugs/behaviors have been causing me problems, so I have to speak now:

1. There is a problem with the way inclusion/exclusion is implemented. JaBuT scans the directory to be excluded and creates a list of the files in its data folder. The problem is when the contents of this folder change. As an example, if you exclude %USERPROFILE%\TEMP, soon it will be created into the backup location because new files are created in TEMP all the time. As you can see, this happens also with user-created folders when their content changes. The solution, I think, is to keep only the paths check-marked by the user as a simple list (if 10 locations, then only 10 lines/paths, without the subfiles/dirs), and ignore these locations when the profile is run.

2. If the PC sleeps and wakes, all profiles are paused/disabled and you have to enable them one by one every time (there is no bulk-enable function).

3. Say you have a giant folder structure as follows:

Code: Select all

C:\Big\1 (1.5 TB)
C:\Big\2 (2.1 TB)
C:\Big\3 (1.3 TB)
C:\Big\4 (1.6 TB)
C:\Big\5 (2.4 TB)
C:\Big\6 (1.9 TB)
+10 other 
I want to backup:
1 and 2 into D:\
3 and 4 in E:\
5,6 and the 10 others in F:\

I create profile A with source dir as C:\Big. Then I do Select data>Include>1 and 2
I create profile B with source dir as C:\Big. Then I do Select data>Include>3 and 4
I create profile C with source dir as C:\Big. Then I do Select data>Exclude>1 and 2

The problem: this creates havoc with the inclusion/exclusion lists. I think this is because the source dir is the same for the three profiles. Even as the file lists in the meta folders are kept, they are deselected in the UI. I don't know if the files are actually handled properly because I don't dare to try and I deleted the B and C profiles immediately!

Thanks, Michael. I hope you respond soon.

giulia

#264 Post by giulia »

jabuTBackup wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:48 pm Hello vevy and thank you very much for your detailled post.
Some items of your list are now in the program (version 2023.12.38144).
VSS is also now working as intended.

"Write changed settings immediately to settings/profiles file. As of now, app crashes/freezes lead to loss."
I am not sure about this. Isn't it written to disk immediately for you? This functionality is implemented since more than 1 or 2 years now.

"Out of the main thread, multiple source and destination directories etc".
This is coming also soon. Unfortunately I can only say "soon" because a refactor is needed for this and my daily job eats nearly all of my time. I can only work the weekend on jaBuT.

But... I will work on everything what's possible =)

Best regards
hi
what a beautiful program!
can i ask you a question?
how can i restore a backup ? I have created a job to copy an entire folder of settings not if i want to restore the folder , should i do manually?
thanks