Castle of The Winds - RPG Roguelike

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zippy

Castle of The Winds - RPG Roguelike

#1 Post by zippy »

I am new to the forums but I just wanted to post one of the RPG's that I have played since I was a kid.

History:
Castle of The Winds has two parts: A Question of Vengeance, released as shareware, and Lifthransir's Bane, sold commercially.
Both parts were released to the public domain by the author Rick Saada in 1998.
Castle of The Winds was originally released for windows 3.1 in 1989 but still runs on every version of windows I have tried including 95, 98, XP, and Vista.

Home & Download:
link to game zipfile: :D http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/castl11a.zip
or
Rick Saada Home Page :arrow: http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/
Look for this section:
Castle of the Winds
Years ago, back in the late 80's I was trying to learn Windows programming to get off of DOS Word, where I was then working. Naturally, I decided to write a computer game. What I didn't expect was that Castle of the Winds would generate some 13500 registrations, and continue to generate mail to this day. At this point, I give the game away for free. Here's a zip with both part one (the free part) and part two (the part you had to register to get). Castl11A.zip Have fun!
Installation:
Unzip into a folder on your flash drive and run castle1.exe for the first part or castle2.exe for the second part.

Settings:
It stores an .ini file in the program directory and any save files would default to the program directory as well.

Stealth:
Not sure but I doubt there are any reg. entries it was made for Win 3.1
(Update) I have run this with regfromapp and there were no registry entries. So it looks like Stealth: YES!

Personal Opinion:
This is one of the easiest to play Roguelike RPG's that I have found. I think that it is ideal as a portable app because it is fun, small, and addictive.
One of the other cool fetures is that when you win part 1 you can take your save file from part 1 and use it in part 2 8)
I hope that all of you enjoy Castle of The Winds as much as I have. And I hope that we can have it added soon. :D
Last edited by zippy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zippy

Castle of The Winds - RPG Roguelike - Screenshots

#2 Post by zippy »

Screenshots from Castle of The Winds I
ImageImage

Screenshots from Castle of The Winds II
ImageImage

I know that many people would enjoy this game.
Please consider adding it to the site.

Thanks!

horusofoz

#3 Post by horusofoz »

I used to love this game as a kid : ) Thanks for the post.

dennis123123

#4 Post by dennis123123 »

yes, COTW is an *awesome* game, which I too played many many years ago.

sadly, its 16-bit, so dont expect it to work on any future OS, or even some now (I disable 16 bit support on my PCs, and often the WOW subsystem crashes etc if it hasnt been removed)

anyone got the source code? :) we could make a 32 bit port!