VirtuaWin - virtual desktops

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
leloo

VirtuaWin - virtual desktops

#1 Post by leloo »

I LOVE this thing.

VirtuaWin allows for you to have up to 9 virtual desktops (more if you change configuration settings), a multitude of settings to make it behave in any fashion you can think of - mouse control, hotkeys, there's even a few addon modules to peruse and install.

Best of all, it works with (at least) dual monitor setup.

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virt ... up2.11.exe

There is one weird item on this, you have to configure it from scratch if run on a new machine for the first time - I didn't see anything added in the registry, however.

Darkbee

Re: VirtuaWin

#2 Post by Darkbee »

leloo wrote: There is one weird item on this, you have to configure it from scratch if run on a new machine for the first time - I didn't see anything added in the registry, however.
That to me is a big clue that something is being stored in the registry, since each new computer you use doesn't have the same registry settings as the previous one. I suspect this program isn't portable.

You could try DM2, which has a plugin for virtual desktops (among its many other useful features!)

BTW, if you really like VirtuaWin and don't care whether the registry is used or not then I would recommend Virtual Dimension, as an open source alternative to VirtuaWin (which I happen to agree is a very good program, portable or not).

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

Mmmm DM2 - can't imagine using my PC without it.

Okay, so I can, it's just not very appealing.

leloo

#4 Post by leloo »

Hrm. Well, I just removed every spec of anything listed for VirtuaWin out of my registry, rebooted, and it still functions.

Care to test it with RegShot? I forgot when I first put it on my machine. :oops:

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

Well it looks like we might have a new candidate for the database... as per the VirtuaWin homepage:
Ver 2.11 2005/10/13
* Better multi-user support. Store config files in home directory
* Removed the need for registry entry
* SF1205908, periodic check that moved application doesn't reappear in the taskbar
* Updated mousekeys functionality to require a motion tendency towards the edge of the screen to prevent the desktop from swapping unintentionally just because the mouse is near the end of the screen when the meta key is pressed
* Fixed grammar error when recovering windows. It now properly says "# windows were recovered" or "1 window was recovered"

gp_hbk

#6 Post by gp_hbk »

Darkbee wrote:Well it looks like we might have a new candidate for the database... as per the VirtuaWin homepage:
Ver 2.11 2005/10/13
* Better multi-user support. Store config files in home directory
* Removed the need for registry entry
* SF1205908, periodic check that moved application doesn't reappear in the taskbar
* Updated mousekeys functionality to require a motion tendency towards the edge of the screen to prevent the desktop from swapping unintentionally just because the mouse is near the end of the screen when the meta key is pressed
* Fixed grammar error when recovering windows. It now properly says "# windows were recovered" or "1 window was recovered"
Like the site says, it writes to the Application Data folder. So, it isn't portable, right?

Darkbee

#7 Post by Darkbee »

Oh, I (mis)read that as being the current directory (i.e. the application directory)... but if its then current user directory then you're right, I wouldn't consider that portable.

[update]
I declare VWin unportable since it stores configurations in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\VirtuaWin

And this explains why you have to reconfigure it for every new PC that you use. At a stretch you could copy these config files from the original machine and take them with you wherever you go, but for me that doesn't really constitute portable...

BTW, I tried copying the config files to the VirtuaWin directory (and delete the local ones) but it complained that this was the first time I was using VWin and promptly created new config files in the location mentioned above. [/update]

saber

Virtuawin 4.0

#8 Post by saber »

download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=69364

Change log:

* Creation of a new Window Rule dialog to manage userlist.cfg, tricky.cfg, sticky.cfg & assignment.cfg via a UI - no more hacking!
* 1819203 1810156 Window type identification can now be any combination of class, window or program name.
* 1798648 1796170 1627782 Changed window management to store some info about all non-child windows, allows VirtuaWin to not manage some window types and to manage others.
* Removed upper limit on the number of windows that VW can manage
* 1844268 Added window type option to keep a window's taskbar button visible.
* 1843300 Rewritten main Setup hotkey configuration to allow many more different hotkeys to be created.
* 1820531 Added MRU window list menu as a hotkey binding
* 1873636 Fixed exit deadlock issue
* 1843056 1843056 Fixed VW & WinList taskbar detection issues.
* 1840887 Fixed setup option change issues.
* 1873639 Added program version info to the exe resource.
* 1911706 Removed the need for admin privileges for installer.
* 1906222 Added get modules button to setup dialog.
* 1901183 Changed window flags and changed GETWINDESK to WINGETINFO with enhanced functionality
* 1873544 1897011 Added new 'Group App' window rule and Gather option in window menu
* 1873539 Added a Re-apply Rules option to Control menu
* 1896828 1877997 Implemented new 'Main Window' window rule option
* 1896830 Reimplemented main window hide/show function to improve performance and fix minimize window hiding method
* 1877491 1737872 Resolved long standing pop-up window event issues.
* 1886979 Fixed flag problem which left windows being 'sticky'.
* 1887127 Automatically change window-list menu to compact.

Notes:

A new window.cfg and window rules dialog replaces pre v4.0 tricky.cfg, sticky.cfg, assignment.cfg and userlist.cfg files and functionality.
There is no import or up-grade process available so these configurations must be recreated.

USBman

VirtuaWin 4.0.1

#9 Post by USBman »

VirtuaWin 4.0.1 recently came out, and is primarily a number of bug fixes (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/history.php).

However, relevant to this site, there is now a PORTABLE version available directly from the author (although, honestly, I have not verified whether it is portable or not) - http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/downloads.php[/i]

ashghost

VirtuaWin portable zip package

#10 Post by ashghost »

I asked the developer which version was in the new portable zip package. It's ANSI, but he asked if he should include both versions in the zip file. I suggested separate Unicode and ANSI zip packages, and he said he'd release a Unicode zip package with the next release.

So for now, if you want the ANSI version, you can download the portable package, unzip and go. If you want Unicode, download the Unicode installer and follow the instructions on the TPFC page:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=virtuawin&m=Search

Cheers,
Joe

Ennovy

Virtuawin 4.1

#11 Post by Ennovy »

New release 4.1 Virtuawin. It's in the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.p ... n&m=Search
Download it here: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

webfork

Re: Virtuawin 4.1

#12 Post by webfork »

Version 4.2 seems to have some bugs.

- Sometimes the taskbar doesn't refresh when switching between windows
- Sometimes the hotkey for switching between screens doesn't work

Really need this program so I'll keep working on it.

Update: exiting the program made my taskbar refuse to work and everything I click on affects the window to the left. I'm going to pass on this release.

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

Why not try Dexpot if VirtualWin is giving you problems?

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

>Dexpot?

I certainly like that program and have had good results, but I tend to prefer open software and I'm trying to use it in a commercial setting.

Pyromaniac

VirtuaWin Portable

#15 Post by Pyromaniac »

Website: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... n_portable

Screenshot: (on website)

Download: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portab ... e?download

Category: Productivity - Virtual Desktops (4), System - Display (30)

Synopsis: VirtuaWin is a highly customizable virtual desktop manager that lets you organize applications over a two or more "desktops" with their own separate windows and applications (also called "workspaces"). The program can reduce distractions or help organize a cluttered desk space with too many windows open.

Writes Settings to: Application folder

How to Extract: Download the self-extracting EXE and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch VirtuaWinPortable.exe.

Stealth: indeed

Path portability: mm hmmm

Unicode support: yesss...

License: GPL

System Requirements: Win2K +

OTHER NOTES: I know that VirtuaWin is already listed, does this mean that the portable won't be listed? Will it replace the other topic? Will they both be there?