nLite 1.4.1 portability question

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
pipetman

nLite 1.4.1 portability question

#1 Post by pipetman »

I'm aware that nLite requires .NET 2.0 and is thus not deemed portable. That requirement aside, however, it should run without problems from anywhere, if .NET is present.

So far the theory. But I just installed it, copied it over to a network drive and uninstalled it. From the network drive it doesn't run. When I copy it back to an arbitrary location on the local hard drive it runs.

Anybody has any idea why that is (and/or how to circumvent this)???

Thx - pm

Local

#2 Post by Local »

Are you trying to run it over the network now or did you move it back?
I've never had Nlite installed on my machine (Thank you sandboxie) but it runs perfectly fine.

I only have .net 1 and 2 installed.

I must ask though, I know Nite is a great tool, but would you really need to use it on a machine that wasn't your own?
I thought about it once and can't think of a reason I'd ever need to use it away from home.

pipetman

#3 Post by pipetman »

I was trying to run it over the network, that didn't work. When moved back to the local drive it worked.

I want to keep it on the server, simply because I switch computers, mess up things, re-stall Windows etc. etc. on a regular basis. So I try to keep as many apps as possible on a server. If I then get a new computer/do a Windows re-install, I'm up and running in no time. And I'd like to do that also with nLite. While I'm not using it frequently, it comes in handy once in a while and it requires updates from time to time (e.g. the upcoming WinXP SP3).

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I remember .NET code has certain default restrictions when running from a network drive. Check out this article as a starting point:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/dotnetquest ... ixPost=824

and google for the rest!

Zach Thibeau

Well...

#5 Post by Zach Thibeau »

I believe nLite sets a path on first install and another thing is maybe you need to make sure .net is installed on the network drive