Q-Dir (File Manager)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ashghost

Re: Q-Dir 4.53

#46 Post by ashghost »

spicydog wrote:Does anybody know what the line below (copied from the Q-Dir.ini file) represents?

copy_cut_paste_mode=0

Thanks
It seems to correspond to the File Operations submenu in the Extras menu, which determines whether copy/paste operations will be performed in a separate process. When it's "0", it's set to System default; after I changed it using the menu to in new Process, it was "1".

spicydog

#47 Post by spicydog »

ashghost wrote:
spicydog wrote:Does anybody know what the line below (copied from the Q-Dir.ini file) represents?

copy_cut_paste_mode=0

Thanks
It seems to correspond to the File Operations submenu in the Extras menu, which determines whether copy/paste operations will be performed in a separate process. When it's "0", it's set to System default; after I changed it using the menu to in new Process, it was "1".
Yes ashghost, I also noticed that changing that menu entry to "in new Process" makes the value of "copy_cut_paste_mode=" turn from "0" to "1", what I do not understand is what impact does that change have on the actual copy/cut and paste operations within Q-Dir.

I have tried to copy/cut and paste in both modes and I do not seem to notice a different behavior... Do you?

ashghost

#48 Post by ashghost »

spicydog wrote:I have tried to copy/cut and paste in both modes and I do not seem to notice a different behavior... Do you?
If I choose "system default" and start a large copy/paste operation, I can't do anything with Q-dir (e.g., browse to other directories) until it's finished, but if I choose "in a new process", I can.

spicydog

#49 Post by spicydog »

ashghost wrote:
spicydog wrote:I have tried to copy/cut and paste in both modes and I do not seem to notice a different behavior... Do you?
If I choose "system default" and start a large copy/paste operation, I can't do anything with Q-dir (e.g., browse to other directories) until it's finished, but if I choose "in a new process", I can.
Well, already for that it makes sense to keep it on "in a new process" (mode = 1)... Let's see if we (or some other poster) will provide further info about that.

On what OS did you notice that behavior? And with how much RAM?

Thanks

ashghost

#50 Post by ashghost »

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, with 4 GB of RAM. If you really want to know, why not ask the developer? http://www.softwareok.com/?Kontakt

spicydog

#51 Post by spicydog »

ashghost wrote:I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, with 4 GB of RAM. If you really want to know, why not ask the developer? http://www.softwareok.com/?Kontakt
By reading all the Q-Dir comments you would understand that the developer is sort of (to put it mildly) non responsive... I do have a few issues with copy/cut and paste (also mentioned in the Q-Dir comments) but since I get no response from the dev I am trying to find out a solution by myself... Hence my interest in the "copy_cut_paste_mode=0/1" ini file entry.

Anyway, with the details you indicated in your last post at least it obvious that the issue you described ("...I can't do anything with Q-dir (e.g., browse to other directories) until it's finished...") is clearly not hardware related.

I guess that now I am left with two choices: Ditch Q-Dir or live with the copy/cut and paste bug... I don't like either of them!

ChemZ

#52 Post by ChemZ »

You know spicydog... I still can't reproduce this bug! :shock:

Maybe I'm reading what you wrote wrong or something... :?:

spicydog

#53 Post by spicydog »

ChemZ wrote:You know spicydog... I still can't reproduce this bug! :shock:

Maybe I'm reading what you wrote wrong or something... :?:
Hi mate,

Could you please list one by one the passages describing (very concisely) what you are doing?

You never know, I might be the one doing something wrong :mrgreen:

BTW, I am running Q-Dir on XP Pro 32 SP3, you?

Tnx

How come you are using Q-Dir in German language?

ChemZ

#54 Post by ChemZ »

XP Pro SP2.

German? English...

spicydog

#55 Post by spicydog »

ChemZ wrote:XP Pro SP2.

German? English...
The reason why I asked is that the .ini you PMed me started my Q-Dir in German... Weird... BTW, thanks again! Comparing yours with mine helped me to see certain useful areas which I left "unexplored" ;)

Do you also find annoying that every time you click to select an option the menu collapses and you have to re-expand it (risking at every click to overlook something) to continue the configuration? I wonder why the dev did not concentrate all Q-Dir settings in one multi-tab dialog.
Last edited by spicydog on Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#56 Post by joby_toss »

spicydog wrote:Do you also find annoying that every time you click to select an option the menu collapses and you have to re-expand it (running the risk to overlook something) to continue the configuration?
Don't know if anybody else does, but I do! :evil: :)

ChemZ

#57 Post by ChemZ »

Haha! Me too! :P

spicydog

#58 Post by spicydog »

Should we start collecting signatures and do a class action to force the developer to modify Q-Dir settings to a single multi-tab dialog? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jokes apart, if there are certain things that a bunch of PF.com members would like to see changed, probably the developer might be more willing to accommodate the request if it comes from, let's say 50 people, rather than from a single person.

Wouldn't you think so?

How about starting a new thread here, named "Let's vote for new (Q-Dir) features" to gather feedback and, once sorted all members requests, we could group-forward to the dear Nenad* (see note) the first 5 or 6 most voted features?

If it works out fine then we could try to do the same with other applications/developers... I have a couple of "targets" in mind already :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*Origin of the name "Nenad" (the correct pronunciation is: "Non-add"): Slavic origin male personal (first) name. The name is derived from the word "nenadan" which in modern Serbian means "software developer who is very reluctant to implement (add) features requested by users" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS: To avoid getting the typical nasty replies of some overzealous fellow members... The above paragraph is purely intended as witticism.

zak_711

Q-Dir 4.63

#59 Post by zak_711 »

http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-Dir

I hope the filter doesn' t work!

portafreeuser

Is anyone else getting malware warnings with Q-DIR ?

#60 Post by portafreeuser »

Is your anti-malware giving you warnings about Q-Dir? I have been getting these warnings ever since and including version v4.69. Versions v4.68 and earlier didn't trigger these warnings. I have contacted the program author, but I was curious if anyone else is getting this?