Suggestion: Switch VLC listing to VLC Portable

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
JohnTHaller

Suggestion: Switch VLC listing to VLC Portable

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

While VLC used to be mostly portable when launched with the commandline switches, this isn't the case any longer. Now, VLC creates APPDATA\vlc and APPDATA\dvdcss on the local PC. It leaves behind ml.xspf, vlc-qt-interface.ini and a font cache file on every PC it is run on. And on every PC without VLC or these files left behind, it will create the font cache when you play your first video in VLC, a process that can easily take a minute or more and leaves the 1-2MB file behind.

So, I'd argue that VLC isn't really portable on its own anymore. VLC Portable is a better choice as it handles all of these directories and files, keeping your font cache as you move PCs and adjusting paths in all of the above-mentioned files so everything continues to work.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Andrew Lee

Re: Suggestion: Switch VLC listing to VLC Portable

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Make sense to me. I have gone ahead and updated the entry.

Hope nobody objects too much to that!

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

Thanks, Andrew. I updated your update as it was a bit off. It was still labeled as VLC and the installation instructions were the URL for the homepage. I also updated the icon to a cleaner version and updated it to a better screenshot.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Maintaining this capability has been problematic with the VLC community, some saying its necessary, some not. The bug / feature request ticket.

For anyone who doesn't have access to the previous edits, the old arguments to enable portable mode was "--no-plugins-cache --config=vlcrc".