ASuite - application launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
El Salvador

#121 Post by El Salvador »

Here's some things that would be nice:
>ability to add more than 4 Menu Folders
>double click tray icon to bring up window
>Ability to change 'ASuite v1.5' (in panel & tray)
1 I will improve default menu for ASuite 1.5.2. I will add skinnable buttons (up-down and folders), an option to raise or decrease menu folders (from 1 to 8 folders, plus button Explore) and theme.ini (for theme options)
2 I will add it in ASuite 1.5.1 and maybe an option (like left click option) in ASuite 1.5.2. :)
3 I will add it in ASuite 1.5.2.

Thank you, CrazyJohnny. :D

For theme designers: I just added png support (unfortunately, no alpha channel) in default menu. Now, ASuite can load background in two formats: png or jpg (retrocompatibility).

CrazyJohnny

#122 Post by CrazyJohnny »

Fantastic El Salvador, I can't wait for the new version.

Is this the best place for feature requests/suggestions? Here are a few more:

-Force tray icon to left of tray (geek.menu*)
-Right click on tray icon brings up Browsable folders (PAM)
-Relative paths like PStart
..\..\ = DRIVE ROOT
..\Launchy\Launchy.exe = DRIVE ROOT\PortableApps[folder w/PStart]\Launchy\Launchy.exe

I don't know if the PStart paths would break your code... But the advantage of it is you can run all your apps from say: C:\DriveName\PortableApps\ASuite and it will maintain all the links. At home I backup to a folder on C, and sometimes run programs from there.

*Geek.menu: some good ideas for sure, but IMHO poorly implemented and downright awkward to setup.

El Salvador

#123 Post by El Salvador »

-Force tray icon to left of tray (geek.menu*)
Open default menu to left of tray? For now, you can drag default menu in any position on your desktop, but asuite doesn't save the position (asuite open default menu always above tray). But I will add it (save/load default menu's position) in ASuite 1.5.2.
-Right click on tray icon brings up Browsable folders (PAM)
Browsable folders?
-Relative paths like PStart
..\..\ = DRIVE ROOT
..\Launchy\Launchy.exe = DRIVE ROOT\PortableApps[folder w/PStart]\Launchy\Launchy.exe
This relative paths works in Asuite. :)

CrazyJohnny

#124 Post by CrazyJohnny »

Sweet, PStart xml does work!:shock: That will help me work from backup off the C:

Image below shows what I was talking about as far as the force tray icon left (upper half), and a quick example of what the PAM menu does when you right click the tray icon (lower half).
I think both are be pretty nice features. Or perhaps some other kind of functionality when you right click the tray icon? Hm... I'll give it some thought. :wink:

Another feature of geek.menu which I found interesting was the browse folders with external program. So when you click any of the 'Documents/Pictures...' you can set to open the window with FreeCommander, TotalCommander. Interesting, but by no means essential. Might be an example of geek.menu trying to do too much, and just coming off as goofy. Whereas ASuite is slimed down and intuitive.

CrazyJohnny

#125 Post by CrazyJohnny »

Question: Is there a hotkey to hold, to make ASuite ignore the autoruns?

I know that PStart will ignore executables set to autorun if the <shift> key is being held. I found it really useful for you wanted to quickly launch the menu without waiting for your entire environment to load.

El Salvador

#126 Post by El Salvador »

Image below shows what I was talking about as far as the force tray icon left (upper half), and a quick example of what the PAM menu does when you right click the tray icon (lower half).
Ahhh...then I will try it. :)
Another feature of geek.menu which I found interesting was the browse folders with external program. So when you click any of the 'Documents/Pictures...' you can set to open the window with FreeCommander, TotalCommander. Interesting, but by no means essential.
You can use totalcommander (or another file manager) parameters. Example: PathExe C:\totalcommander\totalcommander.exe
Parameter C:\My_Folder\
Question: Is there a hotkey to hold, to make ASuite ignore the autoruns?
No, nothing. You must modify asuite.xml to disable the option ActiveAutorun (0 false, 1 true).

Happy easter to everybody. :)

XPect

#127 Post by XPect »

Hi El Salvador,

Just a small request, when clicking on the search tab for the 1st time, can you place the cursor automatically on the search field.
This is ok after the 1st search, but not for the 1st one.

regards

El Salvador

#128 Post by El Salvador »

I just resolved it. Thank you. :D

nycjv321

#129 Post by nycjv321 »

EDIT: REMOVED

Extremelly Sorry I wasn't thinking (to busy playing with all the (so many) features of asuite :P)...

ok this is what I should've wrote this newest version is excellent :D. Although I may have found a bug occasionally I well get error about invalid date and then it erases app description..., but may I ask why you implemented a pam like menu since you cant beat the classics lol ;) I have also noticed you added a feature to disable it and I would like to thank you. if you want ill post a screenshot of the so called bug.
Last edited by nycjv321 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ameri-CAIN

#130 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

nycjv321 said:
I like the classic menu compared to this pam-like cr@p...
This is hardly a constructive assessment. El Salvador has spent a lot of time working on this app, and statements like that are counter productive. He may have spent weeks or months working on what you just referred to as crap. He obviously put the option in there for you to decide if you wanted to use it or not. If you would prefer the default be the classic menu, say that. I'm sure you meant no indignities by your post, but all I ask is that you be kind to the few Application developers that grace these forums with their presence.

Toxteth O'Grady

#131 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Ameri-CAIN wrote:nycjv321 said:
I like the classic menu compared to this pam-like cr@p...
This is hardly a constructive assessment. El Salvador has spent a lot of time working on this app, and statements like that are counter productive. He may have spent weeks or months working on what you just referred to as crap. He obviously put the option in there for you to decide if you wanted to use it or not. If you would prefer the default be the classic menu, say that. I'm sure you meant no indignities by your post, but all I ask is that you be kind to the few Application developers that grace these forums with their presence.

Hear, hear!

nycjv321

#132 Post by nycjv321 »

is that better Ameri-CAIN and Toxteth O'Grady? I am extremely sorry for such a horrible post and it has been fixed

El Salvador

#133 Post by El Salvador »

I added a graphical menu (Default Menu o XP/Vista Menu or your favorite name :D ) because there are some users (see Portable Apps Menu users) prefers this menu than classic menu. But I make an option to disable it and restore classic menu.
Although I may have found a bug occasionally I well get error about invalid date and then it erases app description...
Your system date format (ex. dd/MM/yyyy)?

nycjv321

#134 Post by nycjv321 »

yes the system date and yes I am grateful for the option to disable it :P hold on let me try and reproduce the bug....

I make a new selection and then I then I add version name and description (I didnt add exe location,) and I get this when trying to edit it again

THX for quick reply!!!

El Salvador

ASuite 1.5.1 stable version released

#135 Post by El Salvador »

I just released ASuite 1.5.1 stable version (no alpha/beta for this minor version). For who doesn't know it, ASuite is an application launcher to manage an unlimited number of files, folders and webpage for quick access. It is designed to work with removable storage (uses relative paths) media like USB sticks, hard drives, iPods, etc.

Changes
Added
  • Launcher Option: Choice menu type in mouse sensors
  • Launcher Option: Show trayicon menu on asuite startup
  • Launcher Option: Show trayicon menu when hotkey is pressed
  • Parameter support in Group Software
  • Launcher Option: Choice right click actions (as left click option)
  • Default Menu: PNG File support
  • Other hotkeys
  • Launcher Option: Active automatic opening/closing categories
BugFixes
  • Classic Menu doesn't execute first software in list (ID 1907517)
  • Error when delete a selected category and its subcategories (ID 1909839)
  • Window Hotkey doesn't work in the second start (ID 1910289)
  • Extractor Icons doesn't work with relative paths with '..' (ID 1910492)
  • Scheduler's mode "Once" doesn't work (ID 1921566)
Project page (on sourceforge)

Download

Thanks everybody for your help and support in this forum. :wink: