Portable Python [discontinued]

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
SlowLearner

Portable Python [discontinued]

#1 Post by SlowLearner »

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=python

Is now
Portable Python 1.1 based on Python 3.0.1

webfork

Re: Portable Python Updated

#2 Post by webfork »

Similarly, another Python-based program, XPN (a newsreader) has an update. May need to be retested for portability, although I wonder who uses them if no one's noticed.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=763

http://xpn.altervista.org/download-en.html

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Portable Python (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1154) appears to still be portable. It works on 98 through Win7.

However, I did one of the most elementary tasks for the shell Print "Hello World" and got an error message. Is this a non-standard version?

Enternal

#4 Post by Enternal »

Portable Python is now updated to version 2.7.6.1 for Python2 and 3.2.5.1 for Python3. Also for the category, I believe it should also be added under the math section simply because it comes with the following python libraries: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, Pandas, and IPython. These mature libraries are all well known for engineering and scientific data analysis and exploration as well as graphing.

So perhaps the description should be updated to add about its capabilities as a engineering/scientific calculation and analysis tool.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

@Enternal: I just added "Math - Calculators" and "Math - Graphing Tools" categories to Portable Python database entry; is that suitable?

Enternal

#6 Post by Enternal »

Midas wrote:@Enternal: I just added "Math - Calculators" and "Math - Graphing Tools" categories to Portable Python database entry; is that suitable?
Yes that will be suitable! Thank you!

EDIT: Do you think it's possible to append this to the description?
Portable Python also comes with the following python libraries: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, Pandas, and IPython. These mature libraries (NumPy, SciPy, and Pandas) allow numerical data analysis and computations for mathematics, science, and engineering with plotting capabilities provided by Matplotlib. Additionaly, IPython provides a powerful interactive shell.
I think a screenshot of something for portable python would be nice too so I will see what I can do for that tonight.

EDIT2: So perhaps these 2 should be set as the screenshot? I can't decide between them...
ImageImage

Also the How to extract guide should be updated. The following files are now:

Code: Select all

Glade3-Portable.exe
IDLE-Portable.exe
IPython-Portable.exe
PyCharm-Portable.exe
PyScripter-Portable.exe
Python-Portable.exe
PythonW-Portable.exe
QtDesigner-Portable.exe
Launching any of them will launch a portable instance of the those executables.

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

Enternal wrote: EDIT: Do you think it's possible to append this to the description?
Portable Python also comes with the following python libraries: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, Pandas, and IPython. These mature libraries (NumPy, SciPy, and Pandas) allow numerical data analysis and computations for mathematics, science, and engineering with plotting capabilities provided by Matplotlib. Additionaly, IPython provides a powerful interactive shell.
Checker has added a link to the list of included programs and libraries. :)
Enternal wrote: EDIT2: So perhaps these 2 should be set as the screenshot? I can't decide between them...
ImageImage
I picked the first one.
Enternal wrote: Also the How to extract guide should be updated. The following files are now:

Code: Select all

Glade3-Portable.exe
IDLE-Portable.exe
IPython-Portable.exe
PyCharm-Portable.exe
PyScripter-Portable.exe
Python-Portable.exe
PythonW-Portable.exe
QtDesigner-Portable.exe
Launching any of them will launch a portable instance of the those executables.
I have updated that section.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

Re: Portable Python discontinued

#8 Post by Midas »

Topic update: As noted by user shnbwmn comment (www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1154#comment28524) at Portable Python's database entry (a couple of years back!), development of Portable Python has been discontinued. Suggested free alternatives are:

(Portability status unknown...)

Portable Python is not being developed anymore.

freakazoid

Re: Portable Python [discontinued]

#9 Post by freakazoid »

I use WinPython Zero and it works for my needs. Good if you don't mind using the command line.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

Re: Portable Python [discontinued]

#10 Post by Midas »

While updating the topic, I did read about and ended up downloading WinPython Zero, too, and it's now sitting on my testing queue... 8)