FreeFileSync

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
joby_toss

Re: FreeFileSync V3.1

#31 Post by joby_toss »

procyon wrote:Does the "How to extract" should be updated ?
I guess so...
guinness wrote:I tried the installer using the Portable option and didn't get the screen above, but OCSetupHlp.dll was present in the %TEMP% folder.
Maybe you already have RealPlayer installed... :)

procyon

#32 Post by procyon »

@guinness.

The screen above is present if the installer can access to api.opencandy.com or/and media.opencandy.com domains.
In my case,finally , it wasn't "a strange behavior". I forgot that my sandbox have internet access restrictions and the related message info disabled.

guinness

#33 Post by guinness »

procyon wrote:@guinness.

The screen above is present if the installer can access to api.opencandy.com or/and media.opencandy.com domains.
In my case,finally , it wasn't "a strange behavior" i forgot that my sandbox have internet access restrictions and the related message info disabled.
I forgot too as I was using Sandboxie. Thanks.

I haven't used Real Player in 10 years I think.

Enternal

Re: FreeFileSync

#34 Post by Enternal »

New version! Version 6.6

I'm not sure if I'm doing this the right away. I decided to post to this thread simply because the title is simply "FreeFileSync" so it was generic with not version number in the title. Basically I skipped all the other FreeFileSync thread. However, I realized that this thread is very very old. So it's probably fine or is it better to create a new thread? Or is it better to post in the newest thread of FreeFileSync?

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

@Enternal: this is the official forum topic for FreeFileSync, and my advice is that your action is righteous. :mrgreen:

Some popular programs have threads spread all over TPFC's forums; the database entries' "forum topic" link is a measure to remedy just that, facilitating decisions such as yours...

EDIT: a couple of adds for this official topic...
  • [url]http://www.freefilesync.org/[/url] author wrote:FreeFileSync is a free Open Source software that helps you synchronize files and synchronize folders for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. It is designed to save your time setting up and running backup jobs while having nice visual feedback along the way.
Last edited by Midas on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enternal

#36 Post by Enternal »

So on the page description, "FreeFileSync versions 6.3 and later can not be run from a portable menu or scheduling software due to a bug in the app." That's quite interesting. I use a portable version of FreeFileSync as well but not the PortableApps platform version and it always worked fine. Worked fine when launched from any software I had as well and I even had Windows Task Schedule run it ever day before I recently switched over to Bvckup2. However, I did have the same exact problem when running it from the PortableApps platform so it's a very weird bug. It sometimes run and sometimes don't. I tried various methods and not much luck. Tried examining the parameters that pass to it and the parent processes and a bunch of other things using Process Hacker and it should be the same yet the results differ. Very weird.

Anyone else had that issue or taken a look at it?

JohnTHaller

#37 Post by JohnTHaller »

It fails from file managers like Cubic Explorer, alternate command line tools like Console, etc. Even if I just create a simple EXE that runs FreeFileSync.exe and does nothing else, it fails with the settings file error. It did this about 50% of the time it was run with no rhyme or reason in 6.12. It appears to do it on every run in 6.13. It appears to affect some systems but not others, which is likely why it doesn't affect you most of the time. It began in 6.3 and is a well known bug going back nearly a year and seems unlikely to be fixed.
https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/ ... /d09ab0d6/
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Enternal

#38 Post by Enternal »

JohnTHaller wrote:It fails from file managers like Cubic Explorer, alternate command line tools like Console, etc. Even if I just create a simple EXE that runs FreeFileSync.exe and does nothing else, it fails with the settings file error. It did this about 50% of the time it was run with no rhyme or reason in 6.12. It appears to do it on every run in 6.13. It appears to affect some systems but not others, which is likely why it doesn't affect you most of the time. It began in 6.3 and is a well known bug going back nearly a year and seems unlikely to be fixed.
https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/ ... /d09ab0d6/
Yeah such a weird bug like I posted on the PortableApps forum for this program. I'm going to keep playing around and figure out what's wrong when I have the free time and will report back if I ever figure it out.

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

Since the other thread seems to have fallen firmly into the adware discussion area, I'll just post this here ...
I am Baas wrote:The latest stable 7-Zip version 9.20 (2010-11-18) extracts it fine. All the files are in the "_ユ" folder.
Okay so here's the proposed entry language
  1. Download the setup file
  2. In 7-zip, Extract (do not Open) to a temporary folder
  3. Move the contents of _ユ to a folder of your choice
  4. Launch FreeFileSync.exe

robzuc

FreeFileSync 7.4

#40 Post by robzuc »

FreeFileSync 7.4 has been released: http://www.freefilesync.org/download.php

SYSTEM

Re: FreeFileSync 7.4

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

Thanks. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#42 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:Since the other thread seems to have fallen firmly into the adware discussion area, I'll just post this here ...
I am Baas wrote:The latest stable 7-Zip version 9.20 (2010-11-18) extracts it fine. All the files are in the "_ユ" folder.
Okay so here's the proposed entry language
  1. Download the setup file
  2. In 7-zip, Extract (do not Open) to a temporary folder
  3. Move the contents of _ユ to a folder of your choice
  4. Launch FreeFileSync.exe
Sounds good to me.

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Sounds good to me.
Thanks. Posted.

lintalist

#44 Post by lintalist »

I don't think the trick above longer works, I can unpack 7.6 but don't see a _ユ folder but a [0] file.

smaragdus

#45 Post by smaragdus »

I don't think the trick above longer works, I can unpack 7.6 but don't see a _ユ folder but a [0] file.
The trick works but it depends on the unpacker and its version used to extract the FreeFileSync_7.6_Windows_Setup.exe.
See below my results, I used InnoExtractor version 5.1.7.182:

- the whole extracted installer:
FreeFileSync 7.6 - extraction - 001 - 2015-11-14.png
- the {app} folder which contains the program:
FreeFileSync 7.6 - extraction - 002 - 2015-11-14.png