FastStone MaxView V2.3

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Checker

FastStone MaxView V2.3

#1 Post by Checker »

TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=747 is on V2.2

New V2.3 is available.
Download:http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDownload.htm

Sorry, I just checked: With V2.3 this app changed to shareware (45 day trial version).
V2.2 is the last freeware version.
Last edited by Checker on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

infimum

#2 Post by infimum »

This was the "lightest" freeware. Then they chose it to be shareware? Strange choice.

Drutt

#3 Post by Drutt »

Well spotted Checker!
Version 2.2 (last freeware version) is still available via http://www.faststonesoft.net/DN/FSMaxView22.zip

Dormouse

#4 Post by Dormouse »

infimum wrote:This was the "lightest" freeware. Then they chose it to be shareware? Strange choice.
I think this is the feature they expect to bring sales:-

It even lets you view images in password-protected ZIP and RAR archive files directly and instantly, which is a perfect solution for viewing private images.

infimum

#5 Post by infimum »

Are they saying that it can bypass password-protection? I don't think so. Are they just saying "No extraction needed"? If so, I am not sure if that alone is worth being a shareware.

Their freeware-turned-shareware capture program is a good one. So I'm sure they will bring more to MaxView. It's just that their choice seems to me a bit strange at this point.

Dormouse

#6 Post by Dormouse »

I think they are just saying no extraction needed and expecting that there is a remunerative market out there for that particular feature who would not be interested in all the image processing features of the resizer or viewer. Not us presumably; I don't even know if that ability was there in the last freeware version since it is not something I have any use for.

I do agree that the Capture program has developed well since becoming shareware.

Kea

#7 Post by Kea »

infimum wrote:Are they saying that it can bypass password-protection? I don't think so. Are they just saying "No extraction needed"?
No, and yes. I tried, and you still need to use your password.

But I don't know any other image viewer that has the ability to show zipped images without unpacking them.

Local

#8 Post by Local »

But I don't know any other image viewer that has the ability to show zipped images without unpacking them.
CDisplay does but I don;t think it will accept passworded archives.
I guess that is the selling point here.

Am I the only one to try the new maxview who thinks that it's turned really ugly?
It was always my favourite newer because of its simplicity.
I like a black box with no controls on my screen.
It looks like irfanview now =(

infimum

#9 Post by infimum »

Kea wrote:But I don't know any other image viewer that has the ability to show zipped images without unpacking them.
There is a plugin for XnView. Also, archive viewing is a standard feature for comic viewers (ignoring portablity).
http://www.zcultfm.com/~comic/wiki/inde ... ic_Viewers
But all of them are unpacking all right. It's just that they are unpacking to a temporary folder automatically. That's why I thought this feature was a questionable justification for making it shareware.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Local wrote:
Ken Silverman's command line picture viewer can also do this:
"Ken's PICture viewer. Supports: JPG,PNG,GIF,TGA,PCX,BMP. View all files in a directory or files inside a .ZIP. (no need to extract first!)"

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

Local wrote:

Am I the only one to try the new maxview who thinks that it's turned really ugly?
It was always my favourite newer because of its simplicity.
I like a black box with no controls on my screen.
It looks like irfanview now =(
CDisplay does support passworded archives
It will simply ask for the password before diplaying the files.

Besides this password feature it seems they added a toolbar and that's it.
Funny tho,I thought it was ugly before the toolbar got added :)

Seems like they should have had the archive/password view feature worked into FSViewer instead of MaxView.

lautrepay

Re: FastStone MaxView V2.3

#12 Post by lautrepay »

Old thread update...

Nobody mentioned Imagine, which is, AFAIK, the only program that can display the contents of compressed files (.7Z, .CB7, .ARJ, .LZH, .RAR, .CBR, .ALZ, .EGG, .TAR, .GZ, .BZ2, .ISO and .CAB) when invoked from the context menu (e.g., from the "Send to" menu or Open++). The required plugin can be downloaded @ http://www.nyam.pe.kr/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 30c456d9ce

XnView can also display the contents of .ZIP, .RAR, .7Z and .SQX archives, but it is necessary to open the application and browse to locate them. The archive addon is available @ http://www.xnview.com/en/addons.html

Unfortunately, neither of them can open password-protected files (although it is a minor detail, at least for me).