Renamer - batch file rename tool

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: Renamer

#16 Post by joby_toss »

Just one question (sorry for my curiosity): did you get (some) financial support after this change in licensing? I really hope you are successful with this endeavor!

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:I really hope you are successful with this endeavor!

And so do I. 8)

-- Which doesn't mean I won't strive to find the best portable freeware alternatives, since that's what TPFC is about...

den4b

#18 Post by den4b »

joby_toss wrote:Just one question (sorry for my curiosity): did you get (some) financial support after this change in licensing? I really hope you are successful with this endeavor!
Yes, it has significantly improved the situation. I still need a full time job as this alone will not suffice (yet, perhaps), but at least now all of the costs of maintaining and expanding this project are covered. Furthermore, this helps justify the efforts and motivates further development.

guinness

#19 Post by guinness »

I for one understand why you took the path you did and congratulate you for taking that step.

loin2kolpotoru

#20 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

webfork wrote:I believe WinPenPack is hosting an older version that doesn't have the restrictions. Anyone have an opinion about whether we should switch to that or the lite version? Despite what I wrote above, I'm still on the fence here.
The discussion is pity simple since portablefreeware.com is for freeware programs not trial or demo software the entry should only link to last freeware version only. The demo version should not be listed.

den4b

#21 Post by den4b »

guinness wrote:I for one understand why you took the path you did and congratulate you for taking that step.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
loin2kolpotoru wrote:The discussion is pity simple since portablefreeware.com is for freeware programs not trial or demo software the entry should only link to last freeware version only. The demo version should not be listed.
Terms "trial" and "demo" are used for shareware products, which are limited by a trial period or maximum number of uses or similar restrictions which intend to make the product unusable eventually. Furthermore, shareware is commonly bundled with junk and constantly nagging dialogs. Well, you will find none of that in my products.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:The discussion is pity simple since portablefreeware.com is for freeware programs not trial or demo software the entry should only link to last freeware version only. The demo version should not be listed.
I think the proper term here is "liteware," or a freeware version that requires upgrading for some features. Now this can certainly go too far with this, which is where the term "crippleware" comes from. There's no clear line between "lite" and "cripple", but I think a good way to describe it is whether or not a program is feature-complete:
  • Liteware: is a complete program that if you need additional or advanced features, you should upgrade. XMind and Rainlendar are great examples of this.
  • Crippleware: a program that's barely useful without upgrading, like a CD/DVD program that doesn't actually burn anything or a scanner program that only scans two pages

PortablePotty

#23 Post by PortablePotty »

my main problem was that the crippling wasnt in the changelog. i mean it did change after all.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

PortablePotty wrote:my main problem was that the crippling wasnt in the changelog. i mean it did change after all.
I definitely agree: modifications like that should definitely get documented there.

NickR

Re: Renamer - batch file rename tool

#25 Post by NickR »

Should the 'Forum Topic' link for 'ReNamer Lite' (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=562)
be linking to this thread?
it is currently a 404

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

NickR wrote:Should the 'Forum Topic' link for 'ReNamer Lite' (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=562) be linking to this thread?

(Since there seems to be no better alternative,) Yes... and done. :)

For the record, the previous official forum topic ID for ReNamer was 3572 -- currently 404, as you discovered.

Checker

#27 Post by Checker »

@ Midas: Some seconds faster than me.
I picked the same topic-id (3416), but then I saw that you already did it :lol:

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Renamer Lite v7.2 released (changelog at https://www.den4b.com/changelogs/renamer).

Renamer's dev saw fit to explain his motives to change it from freeware to freemium licensing in a comment to the database entry:

The switch to the Lite and Pro editions was a very difficult decision but a necessary one, one that took years to shape up. In summary, if this switch did not take place, there would be no further development and the den4b project would cease to exist long ago.

BTW, there's a feature comparison table at https://www.den4b.com/compare/renamer.

The main points in terms of functionality seems to be a limitation to 5 renaming rules and presets for Renamer Lite.

Here's the updated intro from the the program's homepage:

ReNamer is a very powerful and flexible file renaming tool, which offers all the standard renaming procedures, including prefixes, suffixes, replacements, case changes, as well as removing contents of brackets, adding number sequences, changing file extensions, etc. For advanced users there is support for Regular Expressions and a PascalScript rule, which lets users program their very own renaming rule.