winamp standard...

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
guinness

Re: winamp standard...

#1 Post by guinness »

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Don't care that much about this to make a new topic, but "Winamp to Be Discontinued on December 20, 2013".

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Winamp-t ... 2176.shtml
AOL wrote:“Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years,”

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:Don't care that much about this to make a new topic, but "Winamp to Be Discontinued on December 20, 2013".

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Winamp-t ... 2176.shtml
AOL wrote:“Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years,”
I added a note to the entry.

I have used Winamp to listen to music on Windows. I gave that responsibility to MPC-HC now.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I guess it's a new trend these days to kill successful apps...

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:I guess it's a new trend these days to kill successful apps...
I think Winamp hasn't been successful in years. The masses are using iTunes now (regardless of it being much worse than Winamp... :roll: ).

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

In my experience as ad hoc sysadmin for a number of relatives/friends, the masses seem to use whatever hijacks their system's audio files associations, and only complain when a particular bad option (or unworkable solution) gets the spot -- and of course iTunes comes out a winner there...

Smaragdus posted a link to a very good article from Ars Technica which evidentiates how Winamp is not really the bad guy here: Ages ago, I took my baby steps into digital audio with the (at the time) completely free Winamp -- reason enough for me to sign the petition for its release: BTW, the first post in this topic makes little sense as it stands... :?

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote:Smaragdus posted a link to a very good article from Ars Technica which evidentiates how Winamp is not really the bad guy here:
Thanks Smaragdus. Good read. :)

freakazoid

#8 Post by freakazoid »

Read on TechCrunch that Microsoft is entering talks to potentially acquire Winamp and Shoutcast.

IMO, Shoutcast is the big get here as a lot of online radio stations use its software. The big M could potentially merge Shoutcast into its XBOX platform.
is it stealth? ;)

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

I changed the download link to point to Softpedia so that visitors can still download Winamp Lite after December 20.

nesterdron

winamp standard

#10 Post by nesterdron »

There is one downside though... When I turn-off my ZEN Touch 2 for a longer time hours, overnight, WinAmp looses its temp playlist and I have to select new music again not a big thing since my need for music differs from day to day.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I took my baby steps into digital audio with the (at the time) completely free Winamp -- reason enough for me to sign the petition for its release
Agreed. Although I do wonder how pro-open source AOL is after opening Netscape wasn't much more than good PR for them. Then again, being that it's AOL, maybe that's enough.
SYSTEM wrote:I changed the download link to point to Softpedia so that visitors can still download Winamp Lite after December 20.
Thanks

freakazoid

#13 Post by freakazoid »

Neat, I already stream a ton of Radionomy stations (on XMPlay, not Winamp, heh!), but am definitely interested to see where Winamp goes from here.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

New face for www.winamp.com (well...soon).