RightNote - note organizer and PIM

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

RightNote - note organizer and PIM

#1 Post by I am Baas »

RightNote is an easy to use notes organiser and information manager that allows you to store and organise different types of information in a single place - and find that information very quickly.
http://www.bauerapps.com/RightNote.html

More Screenshots

Download the portable zip archive @ http://www.bauerapps.com/RightNote.zip

(This is the 30-day trial of the Professional Version. The Registration Window has a "Skip Professional Trial and go straight to Freeware version" button.)

Compare versions @ http://www.bauerapps.com/stdvspro.html

freakazoid

Re: RightNote V2.2.0

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Cool! Looks like OneNote!
is it stealth? ;)

Hydaral

#3 Post by Hydaral »

Finally, a decent successor to Keynote. Thanks.

It even imports Keynote files! :)

USB_Kx

#4 Post by USB_Kx »

thanks. looks great. I may even go for the payware

TP109

#5 Post by TP109 »

I generally go the freeware/opensource route, but no free program comes close to this. The feature to encrypt and password protect individual note pages as well as the built-in spell checker are great improvements from keynote.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

TP109 wrote:I generally go the freeware/opensource route, but no free program comes close to this.
RightNote has a freeware version. That's why it was submitted here in the first place.

TP109

#7 Post by TP109 »

I am Baas wrote:
TP109 wrote:I generally go the freeware/opensource route, but no free program comes close to this.
RightNote has a freeware version. That's why it was submitted here in the first place.
Yes, however the spell checker and a few other options are not included in the free version, but can be used during the evaluation period according to the feature comparison page at http://www.bauerapps.com/stdvspro.html.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

I get these registry keys (empty, but still ...):

Any way to avoid this?

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

@joby_toss

I don't have those entries in the registry. Which version do you use, evaluation or freeware?
i switched to the freeware version right away.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

V2.2.2.5

I also switched immediately to the freeware version on startup: accepted the license, then "skip trial...".
I have win7x64. You?

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:V2.2.2.5

I also switched immediately to the freeware version on startup: accepted the license, then "skip trial...".
I have win7x64. You?
Same here, Win 7 64. OK, just tested the latest version, V2.2.2.5. You are correct. RightNote V2.2.1.3 does not write to the registry but the latest version does.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

I tested v. 2.2.2.5

Disk Space: 12 megs
RAM: 47 megs

Opened this up and immediately liked it. Some good bits:
  • Can export the whole thing to indivdiual or one big TXT, RTF, RVF, or HTML file. Very nice.
  • Imports all of the above, including KeyNote files (as Hydaral points out)
  • Integrated, customizable compression
  • Password protection for part of the RightNote file or the whole collection
  • By default, saves minor changes -- not whole file changes, useful for flash drive users to reduce the number of drive writes. Very nice.
  • Features a lot of nice themes, which are mostly slightly different grays (with the exception of NewOfficeAdaptive).
  • Allows you to change your hotkeys. This is always important to avoid overlapping existing hotkey setups.
Wishlist:
  • I'd like to see it take up less RAM, although I think at this stage in the development, there's likely not much they can do about that.
  • If you delete a page (potentially containing a lot of information), there is no undo button for that. I'd like to see either a trash can you can empty or something along those lines. Maybe the backup tool is enough for this, I'm not sure.
  • Weirdly I created a new page, had a blinking cursor, tried to type and nothing happened. As it turns out, when you create a new page, you can't type in the top level tree. You can create a sibling node (the same level) and type in that. Very confused by this since there's clearly stuff written in the first tree item of the included intro document.
Contains GPL licensed software PDFTOTEXT.EXE, couldn't find anywhere on the site if the source for that is posted.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Contains GPL licensed software PDFTOTEXT.EXE, couldn't find anywhere on the site if the source for that is posted.
Update: contacted the author:
Well a readme is included with the package.

Here is an excerpt from it:
"In order to cut down on the confusion a little bit, here are some
informal clarifications:

- If you are redistributing unmodified copies of Xpdf (or any of the
Xpdf tools) in binary form, you need to include all of the
documentation: README, man pages (or help files), and COPYING. The
README file contains a pointer to a web page with the source code,
which satisfies the GPL requirement as far as I am concerned. "

So that is from the author. If you have something further to add I'm all ears.
I went back and verified that indeed the README file does in fact say that, as well as the website.

RaelB

#14 Post by RaelB »

Hi,

Thanks to "webfork" for contacting me directly to clarify the GPL issue.

Since he sent me a link to this site - I have taken a look at your comments.

1. Re the registry question - that is part of the portable installation. The number you see above the RightNote folder is the serial ID of the USB device/harddrive. You should see that these entries are removed after you close down RN. (iow, RN is making temporary use of the registry).

2. Re the read-only top most note: That is a good point, i.e. it is a bug that needs to be fixed for the freeware version. This is a "Richview note" which is only writable in the non-freeware version. It should be fixed by next release. (Note: you can change the note type in Note Properties to "Rich Edit", then all will work ok).

3. Re keynote import: You will notice the dialog that pops up when you first attempt to import a keynote file. It prompts to import keynote notes as (i) Rich view or (ii) Rich edit notes. For the freeware version you should select option (ii), since Rich view notes are not editable in the freeware version. The next version should make this more clear.

If you have any specific questions feel free to write to us directly: Help->Email Author.

Regards
Rael Bauer

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

RaelB wrote:Thanks to "webfork" for contacting me directly to clarify the GPL issue.
Sure thing.
RaelB wrote:Re the read-only top most note: That is a good point, i.e. it is a bug that needs to be fixed for the freeware version. This is a "Richview note" which is only writable in the non-freeware version. It should be fixed by next release. (Note: you can change the note type in Note Properties to "Rich Edit", then all will work ok).
Excellent -- I always wonder with things like that "am I missing something obvious?" Glad it was a legit bug.