Qemu Simple Boot

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TP109

Qemu Simple Boot

#1 Post by TP109 »

Qemu Simple Boot
http://www.sordum.org/7763/quemu-simple ... age-files/

Qemu Simple Boot is a simple portable virtualization tool for booting ISO IMA, and IMG images and USB drives. You can add your own language by editing Qsib.ini. Turkish, English, and German languages are pre installed; the program chooses the appropriate language automatically.

Requires three configuration steps:

1. Select image file
2. Select the amount of RAM to allocate
3. Choose HDD, ISO, IMG, or IMA in the Boot Options section

Click "Start Qemu Test" to create a virtual machine to boot the image and display it in a window.

Platform: Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows XP
Version: 1.1
License: Freeware

Direct download link: http://www.sordum.org/dns_jumper/downloads25.php

Installation: Download the zip package and extract to a location of your choice. Launch Qsib.exe
8.13MB uncompressed.
Last edited by TP109 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smallhagrid

Re: Qemu Simple Boot

#2 Post by smallhagrid »

I hope it is OK to ask this here...?

Wouldthis work with a bootable image as an isolated VM for testing a software installation in isolation ??

Thanks.

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

smallhagrid wrote:I hope it is OK to ask this here...?

Wouldthis work with a bootable image as an isolated VM for testing a software installation in isolation ??

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about networking isolation? If so, I don't know. I've only used this to quickly test some image files and to boot USBs. I didn't try to network with the host. The developer site describes the purpose of this app is to provide a simple and quick way to test image files. It wasn't developed to be a full virtualization environment. If it was, it would have many more options.
Last edited by TP109 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

smallhagrid

#4 Post by smallhagrid »

Thanks !!
T'was not about networking.
I'll stick with VMWare Player as that does what I want well enough.

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Killed after one hour trying to launch the latest Pepermint 3 ISO (545MB) with 512MB memory... :(

(http://peppermintos.com/)

Marc

#6 Post by Marc »

MobaLive CD doesn't support running HDD, very interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't run in a per partition OS, but per drive. Would be definitely very cool if it could virtualize/run only one HDD partition, with enough RAM I could run other Windows installations simultaneously. The other aspect that I'm wondering is whether vistualized live images/etc can connect to internet as well.

Marc

#7 Post by Marc »

QSB, is unable to run MiniXP, while MobaLive CD runs it without issues. The version of ML CD I run before was outdated, latest version supports as well live usbs. I attempted to run W7 from WXP, but it failed most likely due to the different architecture. Might try running XP from W7.

TP109

#8 Post by TP109 »

I previously tested this with some small apps and booting USBs and it appeared to be acceptable at the time. I recently did more testing and though I was able to boot and get online with Slitaz Linux using the default settings, it was SLOW. Tried Puppy Slacko 5.4 and it choked before getting to a login screen. It boots Grub Menus fine for most USBs; however, it didn't work with SD adapters plugged into the USB port even though the host PC (XP SP3) did recognize them. Has limited configuration options using the "O" button. I didn't try any tweaking. I got curious after members here asked some hard questions and attempted to use this to boot much larger distros.

So far, I would say that this app is OK for quickly testing boot-loaders for USB drives or small image files with low resource requirements, but that's it. Probably jumped the gun on this one.

castman

#9 Post by castman »

qemu and virtualbox still has way to evolve to compete with vmware. I'm sure about it as I try always last compiled version but not sure about last xen and virtual pc (not 2007 or earlier). this must influence even in the boot process...

klon

Qemu Simple Boot v1.2

#10 Post by klon »

V1.2 What is new
1. Drag and drop error – Fixed
2. Minor interface changes
3. improvement of codes

http://www.sordum.org/7763/qemu-simple- ... age-files/

TP109

#11 Post by TP109 »

Qemu Simple Boot ver 1.3
V1.3 What is new (13.10.2014)
1. Translate GUI added
2. Some code improvements
3. Free Ram checker function added ( it can be closed from Qsib.ini file)
4. Minimum ram requirement dropped to 32 MB
Download:
http://www.sordum.org/7763/qemu-simple- ... age-files/

Still find this useful for testing grub/syslinux boot menus and low resource ISOs. Nothing is faster when you need to reboot over and over.