WaveShop 1.0.13 has a more modern look

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
victimofleisure

WaveShop 1.0.13 has a more modern look

#1 Post by victimofleisure »

WaveShop 1.0.13 has a more modern appearance, and also fixes some minor bugs.

The major change is that WaveShop now uses Common Controls 6.0, AKA the XP theme. This gives the app a more modern appearance, and makes it more compatible with Windows 7 and Aero. This change also fixes an otherwise unsolvable problem with list control column resizing in Windows 7; for details, see here.

The bug fixes are listed in the release notes.

An updated Aero-style screen shot is available here and is enclosed below:

Download:
http://waveshop.sourceforge.net/download.html

SYSTEM

Re: WaveShop 1.0.13 has a more modern look

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Thank you. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Great. Eye candy is important, at least for its cognitive side effects. Maybe you could hold a contest to update Waveshop's icon to a more alpha-blended look, too. 8)

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

Perhaps blue (or other) wave color should also add to the user experience (instead of the black).

victimofleisure

#5 Post by victimofleisure »

tproli wrote:Perhaps blue (or other) wave color should also add to the user experience (instead of the black).
This is already supported, via the Colors button, on the View page of the Options dialog. See also this manual page.

victimofleisure

#6 Post by victimofleisure »

Midas wrote:update Waveshop's icon to a more alpha-blended look, too. 8)
What? You don't like aliasing? I'm deeply shocked. :)

Truth be told, Microsoft makes it insanely, excruciatingly, absurdly difficult to use ARGB images in Visual Studio 2008 (which is what I use), particularly for toolbars. For individual icons, it is achievable with extreme inconvenience, but that's not good enough: for a consistent look it has to work on toolbars too. I couldn't find any reasonable non-voodoo method that also preserved backwards compatibility with XP. After banging my head against it for a good long while, I got fed up and decided it's just not worth the effort.

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

My bad, should have known that colors are customizable. Anyway, changing the default wave color to a more vivid one would make the application look more "happy". That could compensate for those non-ARGB icons :)

victimofleisure

#8 Post by victimofleisure »

tproli wrote:those non-ARGB icons :)
Well there might be hope for ARGB icons after all. I don't give up easily, and it was really starting to get on my nerves. Quite a few people have complained about it actually, and so many other developers have managed ARGB somehow or other. So I fortified myself with a starchy meal of beans and potatoes--carbohydrate loading is essential in programming, as the brain uses more energy than any other organ--and banged my head against it for a few more hours.

Eventually I discovered Axialis, an icon editor that can create ARGB icons and toolbar bitmaps. Supposedly Microsoft used Axialis for their apps until they finally barfed up a reasonable image editor in VS2010. How embarrassing is that? Well I'd be embarrassed, but whatever. Anyway there's a Lite version of Axialis that's free if you have VS2008 installed, so I gave that a try, and after a few hours of painful struggle, I was able to get an ARGB toolbar working in a test app. The main obstacle was that for 16x15 icons--the size WaveShop uses--all the icons have to be shifted right by one pixel. No mention of this in any documentation of course. Pretty crazy. I definitely wouldn't describe the process as painless, but on the other hand it only has to be done once. The hidden cost is that you can't use the VS2008 image editor to edit the toolbar anymore, and if you try it, the toolbar get trashed, but that's the way it goes.

Of course Axialis is no use without some icons, and naturally the Lite version doesn't come with any decent icon sets because they want you to pay money for those. But in my travels I also discovered that VS2008 ships with a big collection of ARGB icons (all the ones used in VS2008) as described here.

So I cobbled the pieces together. To my eye this toolbar looks OK in Windows 7 and XP. I don't have Vista so I can't test that. Here's what it looks like:

tproli

#9 Post by tproli »

This is so oARGBasm :lol:

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

victimofleisure wrote:Here's what it looks like:

• After the ordeal, it turned out pretty good, IMHO. 8)
tproli wrote:This is so oARGBasm :lol:
  • :lol:

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

tproli wrote:This is so oARGBasm :lol:
Gee, doesn't take much for you to climax :oops: :lol:

victimofleisure

#12 Post by victimofleisure »

Midas wrote:After the ordeal, it turned out pretty good, IMHO.
Well I guess they're a little boring but at least they're familiar and easily understandable. Some icons are too cute and it becomes hard to figure out what they do.

But there are still serious problems. For example, the new toolbar does NOT work in 16-bit color (or 24-bit color): I get nasty black borders, as you can see in the screen shot below.

This is unacceptable because 16-bit color is still widely used, e.g. XP Remote Desktop is normally 16-bit color.

I have plenty of apps that show nice icons in both 32-bit AND 16-bit color. I don't understand how they manage this. Could they be using a 16-bit color ARGB bitmap, A4-R4-G4-B4? Or are they using two bitmaps: a 32-bit A8-R8-G8-B8 bitmap in 32-bit color, and a regular 24-bit bitmap with a reserved "mask" color for (non-blended) transparency in 16- and 24-bit color? I really need some help! :(

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

victimofleisure wrote:I have plenty of apps that show nice icons in both 32-bit AND 16-bit color. I don't understand how they manage this. Could they be using a 16-bit color ARGB bitmap, A4-R4-G4-B4? Or are they using two bitmaps: a 32-bit A8-R8-G8-B8 bitmap in 32-bit color, and a regular 24-bit bitmap with a reserved "mask" color for (non-blended) transparency in 16- and 24-bit color? I really need some help! :(
Happy to help on this. Could you post the top-quality icon set and let me see if I can do some conversion stuff and get it where it needs to be?

Oh and PS, there's now a WinPenPack WaveShop.

SYSTEM

#14 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:Oh and PS, there's now a WinPenPack WaveShop.
First, it's not new. See this forum post.

Second, the official page: http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1350.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

loin2kolpotoru

#15 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

WaveShop Development seems to have stopped.