Portable Unison

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
BigD

Portable Unison

#1 Post by BigD »

I've made a portable package of Unison 2.40.16 available for download from here.
Please let me know if I've overlooked anything.
:wink:

edit: Subject amended to include LibreOffice since discussion has strayed away from Unison
Last edited by BigD on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

Re: Portable version of Unison 2.40.16

#2 Post by I am Baas »

CøøL. Thank you, BigD.

I like the "new look" of your Website, b(^.^)d

BigD

#3 Post by BigD »

I am Baas wrote:CøøL. Thank you, BigD.

I like the "new look" of your Website, b(^.^)d
Many thanks - it's always nice to get a compliment!
:D

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

I am Baas wrote:I like the "new look" of your Website, b(^.^)d
It definitively looks better.
By the way, I still use your great tip to store LibreOffice's settings in the application folder. Why did you remove it?

BigD

#5 Post by BigD »

lautrepay wrote:It definitively looks better.
By the way, I still use your great tip to store LibreOffice's settings in the application folder. Why did you remove it?
Thank you!
I removed the tip for LibreOffice because I couldn't get it working, for some unexplained reason, with versions 3.5.x (using the PortableApps packages as a starting point). Of course, some of the directory structures for LibreOffice changed round about this time too. I haven't experimented with version 3.6.x, but I'd be interested to know if it can be made to work again - should be possible. Or maybe the PortableApps packaging itself caused the problem, and a 'native' installation would be a better starting point? :wink:

lautrepay

#6 Post by lautrepay »

BigD wrote:I removed the tip for LibreOffice because I couldn't get it working, for some unexplained reason, with versions 3.5.x (using the PortableApps packages as a starting point). Of course, some of the directory structures for LibreOffice changed round about this time too. I haven't experimented with version 3.6.x, but I'd be interested to know if it can be made to work again - should be possible. Or maybe the PortableApps packaging itself caused the problem, and a 'native' installation would be a better starting point? :wink:
With LibreOffice 3.6, try with:

Code: Select all

[ErrorReport]
ErrorReportPort=80
ErrorReportServer=
[Bootstrap]
InstallMode=<installmode>
ProductKey=LibreOffice 3.6
UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../settings
("settings" or the name of your choice).
A "user" subfolder will be created inside "settings" with your configuration files.
It's the method that PA.c uses to redirect the settings to the Data folder, so it should work with LibreOffice Portable.
With the 3.5.x series I used to use a modified bootstrap.ini from winPenPack's X-LibreOffice, but I lost the file when I updated to 3.6...

BigD

#7 Post by BigD »

lautrepay wrote: With LibreOffice 3.6, try with:

Code: Select all

[ErrorReport]
ErrorReportPort=80
ErrorReportServer=
[Bootstrap]
InstallMode=<installmode>
ProductKey=LibreOffice 3.6
UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../settings
("settings" or the name of your choice).
A "user" subfolder will be created inside "settings" with your configuration files.
It's the method that PA.c uses to redirect the settings to the Data folder, so it should work with LibreOffice Portable.
With the 3.5.x series I used to use a modified bootstrap.ini from winPenPack's X-LibreOffice, but I lost the file when I updated to 3.6...
Okay, thanks for the suggestion. Here's what I've found after installing LibreOffice Portable v3.6.3 to C:\bin\LibreOfficePortable:
I edited C:\bin\LibreOfficePortable\App\libreoffice\program\bootstrap.ini and changed:
UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../../../Data/settings -> UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../../../../../tmp/libo
If I run C:\bin\LibreOfficePortable\App\libreoffice\program\soffice.exe then the user profile is indeed created in C:\tmp\libo\user. However if I run C:\bin\LibreOfficePortable\LibreOfficePortable.exe then bootstrap.ini gets forced back to its original form with: UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../../../Data/settings
So LibreOffice Portable does indeed control bootstrap.ini! However, this experiment does give a handle on how to redirect the user profile elsewhere, as long as you use the LibreOffice 'native' command soffice rather than the PortableApps wrappers. Maybe this would be useful to someone, and I might yet add it to AppsTo Go. What do you reckon?
(I don't use Windows much these days except at work, as I've converted almost entirely to Linux at home.)
8)

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay »

BigD wrote:What do you reckon?
I cannot speak on behalf of anybody, but it's useful for me.
I prefer to use the installer and edit the bootstrap.ini file for three reasons:
1) Using the installer, I have complete control over the components that I need and those I do not need to install (that is something that can't be achieved with the portabilized versions of PA.c or winPenPack). To be more precise, I install LibreOffice only with components that I need, copy the files to another folder and then uninstall it.
2) By editing bootstrap.ini, the configuration files will be placed in the application folder. That makes my life easier even when I install it locally and my profile is located on a secondary partition.
3) Finally, I avoid the use of the wrapper, with the consequent gain of a few seconds to load the application (a delay of some seconds can be exasperating, especially at work).
BigD wrote:So LibreOffice Portable does indeed control bootstrap.ini!
Now that I think about it, it is logical. Some time ago I used the PA.c system trying to take advantage of the automatic updates, but using natively portable applications (for example, my XnView Portable was updated automatically, but I used the original executable from the App folder, with its corresponding .ini file). But my method only worked with programs that require an additional file to behave as portables (a file that the wrapper does not know that it exists and therefore cannot modify it). And that is not the case of LibreOffice.
BigD wrote:I've converted almost entirely to Linux at home.
I'm halfway in this process, but I intend to stay in the midway in the process..

BigD

#9 Post by BigD »

lautrepay wrote:I cannot speak on behalf of anybody, but it's useful for me.
I prefer to use the installer and edit the bootstrap.ini file for three reasons:
1) Using the installer, I have complete control over the components that I need and those I do not need to install (that is something that can't be achieved with the portabilized versions of PA.c or winPenPack). To be more precise, I install LibreOffice only with components that I need, copy the files to another folder and then uninstall it.
2) By editing bootstrap.ini, the configuration files will be placed in the application folder. That makes my life easier even when I install it locally and my profile is located on a secondary partition.
3) Finally, I avoid the use of the wrapper, with the consequent gain of a few seconds to load the application (a delay of some seconds can be exasperating, especially at work).
Thanks for the further explanation; sounds reasonable right enough.
Have now added a 'To make LibreOffice natively portable' link to the LibreOffice entry on Apps To Go.
It serves to remind me, even if there are only the two of us really interested in this ...!

lautrepay

#10 Post by lautrepay »

BigD wrote: It serves to remind me, even if there are only the two of us really interested in this ...!
And I wonder why...
Anyway, thanks for your tip!

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller »

BigD wrote:Thanks for the further explanation; sounds reasonable right enough.
Have now added a 'To make LibreOffice natively portable' link to the LibreOffice entry on Apps To Go.
It serves to remind me, even if there are only the two of us really interested in this ...!
Be careful as the 'natively portable' setup you have with fonts installed will crash when run from long paths.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

BigD

#12 Post by BigD »

JohnTHaller wrote:Be careful as the 'natively portable' setup you have with fonts installed will crash when run from long paths.
Ah well, so be it ... caveat emptor.
This seems to have been a longstanding hazard with OpenOffice and then LibreOffice.

JohnTHaller

#13 Post by JohnTHaller »

BigD wrote:Ah well, so be it ... caveat emptor.
This seems to have been a longstanding hazard with OpenOffice and then LibreOffice.
It is, but we have it handled in LibreOffice Portable.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

Portable Unison

#14 Post by webfork »

This took me too long to get to but I finally switched this over to the WPP version today as Baas suggested. Note that the file size is incorrect but I ran out of time to address that issue as my net connection is very slow at the moment. (edit: fixed)

X-Unison
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=979