Portable Tor/Vidalia/Privoxy

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
Silivrenion

#31 Post by Silivrenion »

Thanks M@tty! Will put this on the frontburner as the next update!

M@tty

#32 Post by M@tty »

M@tty wrote:for now you can just copy in the new Privoxy executable and it should work
Ignore this advice! The new Privoxy version has slightly changed the structure of the configuration file.

Silivrenion

#33 Post by Silivrenion »

There is now a correct version available called PortableTor-0.1.2.19-0.0.16-1 . I advise getting that one instead. :)

Silivrenion

#34 Post by Silivrenion »

Made another update due to an error in revision 1. Sorry folks!!

Silivrenion

PortableTor-0.1.2.19-0.0.16-3

#35 Post by Silivrenion »

PortableTor has updated once again, this time correcting a problem with verbose logging set by "debug 1" in privoxy.

Check out the new PortableTor at http://portabletor.sf.net!

Current Version: PortableTor-0.1.2.19-0.0.16-3
Size: 6.09MB

M@tty

#36 Post by M@tty »

New PortableTor version, updated Privoxy/Tor/Vidalia and a few other tweaks.

Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ljep6j

M@tty

#37 Post by M@tty »

New version today, hopefully fixes the Vista process elevation issue.

Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g0tcmf

If anybody with Vista could test this new version and get back to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Yucca

#38 Post by Yucca »

M@tty wrote:New version today, hopefully fixes the Vista process elevation issue.
If anybody with Vista could test this new version and get back to me it would be greatly appreciated.
M@tty,

I don't use Tor very much, but I like to have it on my USB drive.

I don't know what you meant by the "Vista proces elevation issue," but I just tested the new version with Vista Home Premium and it pops up the Vista elevation request three times, first for the launcher, and then for Tor and then for Privoxy. The previous version only gave one popup request, I think just for the laucher itself.

Hope that helps.

Yucca

M@tty

#39 Post by M@tty »

Really? Wow, hmm.

I don't have a Vista machine to test on myself, so I was sending the files to my friend over MSN and he was testing. He has obviously gone wrong somewhere...

Do you have MSN? If so PM me if you would like to help in the development.

Yucca

#40 Post by Yucca »

M@tty,

I think I might have an idea about why your friend did not report the pop-ups. The first time you run a new (or updated) program on Vista, it gives a popup and asks if you want to run the program. There is a checkbox on that dialogue screen that says something like "Show this every time the program is run". If you uncheck that, then the popup does not show on subsequent program loads.

I unchecked that box for each of the popups for PortableTor, Privoxy and Vidalia, and now I don't get any popups on subsequent runs of PortableTor.

By the way, on your Vidalia interface, when I pressed Exit (the red button), it closed Vidalia but left Privoxy running, which I had to close from the tray. If I remember correctly, that red button used to close both Vidalia and Privoxy -- but perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, hope that helps. I'll be glad to try any other versions you post to TPFC on my Vista machine, but I don't think I can help you with development.

Thanks for your efforts.

Yucca

M@tty

#41 Post by M@tty »

By "help with development" I meant via testing, not coding. Luckily though I have remembered that my sister uses Vista, so hopefully I will have a new (working) version to you by the end of tomorrow.

The close button in Vidalia never closed the Privoxy program, I could always modify the launcher to wait for Vidalia.exe to terminate and then force-close Privoxy.exe.

M@tty

#42 Post by M@tty »

I normally wouldn't double post, but this is an update rather than an edit...

I have just tested the program on Windows Vista on my sisters machine, both the old version and the new one, and Yucca I think you are referring to the "Unknown Publisher" message, rather than the UAC message. Vista UAC prompts you with an image similar to this one:

Using the old version of PortableTor, this message was presented. Using the new version, this message is not presented. The following screenshot refers to the "Unknown Publisher" issue, which occurs with all downloaded applications running on both Windows XP and Vista if they are not digitally signed by VeriSign, and unfortunately is not something I can affect.

Could you confirm which screenshot is similar to what you are seeing?

Yucca

#43 Post by Yucca »

M@tty,

You are correct. The popups I got were the "unknown publisher" popups rather than UAC. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not getting them anymore, because I unchecked the "Always ask before opening this file" box on the unknown publisher popup.

I am still not able to close Privoxy from the Vidalia control panel. It only closes Vidalia but leaves Privoxy running with an icon in the tray. Of course, it is easy to close Privoxy from the tray icon.

Sorry if I caused you any extra work.

Yucca

M@tty

#44 Post by M@tty »

Yucca...
M@tty wrote:The close button in Vidalia never closed the Privoxy program
It's functionality I have never written, it's a false memory you have. :lol: I may write it for the next release.

No extra work caused, just a little extra confusion. :D

Thanks for your help. Can you confirm that PortableTor no longer activates Vista UAC?

Yucca

#45 Post by Yucca »

M@tty wrote:Can you confirm that PortableTor no longer activates Vista UAC?
Yes, I can confirm that this version does not activate Vista UAC on my machine.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Yucca