Bitlbee - IRC for IM - save space on that pen drive of yours

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Dhalamar

Bitlbee - IRC for IM - save space on that pen drive of yours

#1 Post by Dhalamar »

Are you like me and got accounts for every damned chat protocol it seems like? Check this out if you wanna save a little space instead of having a seperate program (like Miranda IM, Trillian or GAIM):

http://www.bitlbee.org/

"An IRC to other chat networks gateway"

I use it with HydraIRC. I just use the public servers, but there's a Win32 port of the program itself (never tried it though). Kind of a bitch to use at first, but easy to get the hang of. It works with my AIM/ICQ,Yahoo and MSN accounts just fine.

ahoier

#2 Post by ahoier »

wow, so that is awesome. so basically, you "connect" to your IM services through IRC? really neat.

Zach Thibeau

cool

#3 Post by Zach Thibeau »

this I got to try :P

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Or you could just Meebo.com, which doesn't use any space at all on your usb flash drive. Well, unless you're running a portable browser, in which case maybe a few temporary Internet files. So technically, it would take up some space but you get the idea.

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

By the way, I don't want to knock the original suggestion... I have tried this program myself and it is interesting but I found it a little fiddly to configure. Miranda doesn't seem to take up a lot of space as far as I'm concerned so I've stuck to using it instead.

It is a very interesting concept though.

webfork

Re: Save space on that pen drive of yours

#6 Post by webfork »

Dhalamar wrote:An IRC to other chat networks gateway
Old thread update: Despite a lot of good things:
  • Still under development with a release 22 days ago as of this writing. It's also cross platform, supports OTR and a ton of services

The Windows version is still unsupported and bug reports are ignored: http://get.bitlbee.org/win32/

Still a cool idea.