Do not use Microsoft Store

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
thepiney

Re: Do not use Microsoft Store

#16 Post by thepiney »

One sad part of this is that many of the users never even know they are paying for something they could get for free or using a product that has been copycatted (sp?). I often try different software just to check them out "play" and see what features are present, preferably open source and/or portable programs. I've often seen programs that looked similar and occasionally looked way too close to be anything but a copycat and many times wasn't sure who was the original. If additional features are added or bugs fixed I wouldn't mind as much but to just "steal" someone else's work verbatim and strip away/change the original developer's name and licensing information really bothers me. At least occasionally comments are/were posted or some of the sites I've visited over the years such as Giveawayoftheday, UBCD, UBCD4Win, Here, etc. about this and similar issues.

It would be nice to have a source to check for this information and maybe a note on apps/programs in the TPFC Database. Perhaps a post/thread at the top of one of the forum sections.

Sorry if that appears a bit scatterbrained, I'm a bit scatterbrained...

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Another knock-off, this one actually got some attention somehow: a barely modified version of LibreOffice with a new name and a price tag: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/trio- ... verviewtab

The program does not mention LibreOffice once in the description, nor provide screencaps. Softpedia ran a review of it and noted that it's basically just LibreOffice and the supposed premium features weren't a reason to buy it: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... ible.shtml

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Just a quick pointer to Midas' post about another Store problem -- an unauthorized qBittorrent: viewtopic.php?p=96569#p96569

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Very unfortunately, the developer of the very promising Captura program has decided to drop the project and anything development-related due to issues with the Microsoft Store. This was an exciting toolset that was enabling a lot of great open screen recording functions. I wonder how many others devs are getting alienated from the Windows platform because of this same issue.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed wording)

Milver63

#20 Post by Milver63 »

Yeah, I noticed this issue recently. It is messed up. They should fix this asap.