Camtasia/SnagIt - for "influencers"

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
webfork

Camtasia/SnagIt - for "influencers"

#1 Post by webfork »

Background: So there's a way to get access to Camtasia as a free-for-personal-use kind of deal, with the assumption that you're someone who works in software and have some kind of audience. That said, it didn't seem to go through any kind of analysis to see whether or not I really was something resembling an "influencer," so I'd have to class this as "registerware". (See the following post for an explanation of why I crossed this out.)

While ShareX does everything I need in terms of screen capture versus Snagit, I can't currently name a video editor tool that's a replacement for Camtasia. As the program is currently running for about $250, this is a very nice option. Still, I wouldn't use anything from their "assets" site without a full license .

Platform: Mac and PC.

Site: https://www.techsmith.com/evangelists/mvp ... based on the reddit post about it, this doesn't appear to be a recent development: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comment ... copies_of/

Note that if you really start digging into the editor function, I strongly recommend checking out the recommended how-to video series the program pops up with. The program isn't intuitive but once you understand their system, it's very easy.

webfork

Re: Camtasia/SnagIt - for "influencers"

#2 Post by webfork »

Update: So they've increased the requirements around downloading the programs. It's no longer what I'd describe as "registerware," meaning they request involvement in a professional organization or some other credentials. That sort of makes sense, though I hope they are also evaluating people who are just enthusiastic and not merely those that have been in the industry for years.

I was hoping to build some videos in the months ahead and had planned to advertise Camtasia's usage in those posts. While I'm not sure any of my videos would get above 500 views, I may not qualify as an "influencer," but still.

Should the techsmith folks drop by: please keep this going. It's a good idea not just for people on freeware sites, but long-term for your company. I speak from experience when I say the first video editor you work with can have a lot of impact on what you choose to edit with in the future.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed bad wording)