CommonMark (Markdown standard specification)

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

CommonMark (Markdown standard specification)

#1 Post by Midas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

CommonMark v0.28 released, dated 2018-08-01 (https://spec.commonmark.org/changelog.txt).
This document attempts to specify Markdown syntax unambiguously. It contains many examples with side-by-side Markdown and HTML. These are intended to double as conformance tests. An accompanying script spec_tests.py can be used to run the tests against any Markdown program. [...] This document is generated from a text file, spec.txt, written in Markdown with a small extension for the side-by-side tests.

CommonMark is intended as an authoritative Markdown specification and was mentioned by me a few time around the forum (viewtopic.php?p=73253#p73253, viewtopic.php?p=74072#p74072, and viewtopic.php?p=82416#p82416).

webfork

Re: CommonMark (Markdown standard specification)

#2 Post by webfork » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 am

Midas wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am
CommonMark is intended as an authoritative Markdown specification
That is remarkably thorough. I have been frustrated by the way different rendering tools have different standards and you have to relearn the process every time you pick up a new tool. Compatibility between different markdown tools would do a lot for the format overall and start to build something that's a real alternative to standard WYSIWYG interfaces. One tool might have better printing, another have more typeface support, while I can see others just having a bunch of text editor macros like NoteTab.

Also the analysis of MarkDown vs. AsciiDoc answers a question I've had for some time now. The "Try it" buttons are also helpful.

I have only questions at this point such as is this fully implemented? How could this get implemented on a broad scale? How can the format get improved or added to in the future? If something in MacFarlane's structure didn't make sense, how would you modify it?

Midas

Re: CommonMark (Markdown standard specification)

#3 Post by Midas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:01 am

webfork wrote: I have only questions at this point such as is this fully implemented? How could this get implemented on a broad scale? How can the format get improved or added to in the future? If something in MacFarlane's structure didn't make sense, how would you modify it?
As much as I am aware (I haven't really tested it), the code repository at https://github.com/CommonMark/CommonMark contains full implementations in both C and JavaScript (but there are other).

And given that MacFarlane is also the main developer of Pandoc (viewtopic.php?t=23800), I'm pretty positive he reflects the evolution of the spec in his own work sooner or later.
The current version of the CommonMark spec is complete, and quite robust after a year of public feedback... but not quite final. With your help, we plan to announce a finalized 1.0 spec and test suite in 2018.

Judging from that, my best guess is modifications can be submitted to the public discussion system at https://talk.commonmark.org/.