MoonGlow Software goes freeware

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
smaragdus

MoonGlow Software goes freeware

#1 Post by smaragdus »

MoonGlow Software discontinued its commercial products (Finance Manager, Formula Calculator, Note Recorder, Student Organizer) and released the installers as freeware which do not require registration:
The above installers will install a version of the program that does not require a license key. You will also be able to install the software whenever and wherever you want as often as you want forever.
Direct Download Links:
I have never tested any of these programs but someone may find some of them useful.

Programs by MoonGlow Software listed at Softpedia.

Midas

Re: MoonGlow Software goes freeware

#2 Post by Midas »

In February of 2018 I was faced with the decision whether or not to renew the hosting for the website for another year. It was painful, but I decided to let it go. The days of downloaded shareware that is installed and ran on a single computer are rapidly drawing to a close. People have come to expect cloud based software that can be accessed from any device.

Despite a lot of time and money spent on advertising and promotion, sales have steadily declined over the last couple of years. I sold a grand total of three licenses during the whole year of 2017. That doesn't even begin to cover the cost of hosting for the website. So, I have decided to shut down MoonGlow Software.

Here's to Moonglow being wrong... 🍻

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Once upon a time I was a business owner so, even though I don't know Moonglow specifically, I feel his frustration. I know how much it stings when you have to walk away from a huge amount of time, effort, and energy. I'm glad he took the various options a freeware route rather than just closing up shop.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
webfork wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:21 pm Once upon a time I was a business owner so, even though I don't know Moonglow specifically, I feel his frustration. I know how much it stings when you have to walk away from a huge amount of time, effort, and energy. I'm glad he took the various options a freeware route rather than just closing up shop.
Oftentimes developers retire their software and shut down product websites virtually killing their software- it cannot be bought, it cannot be registered, it cannot be used after the trial is over, just an example. So I am glad that the developer from MoonGlow Software bothered to offer installers which do not require registration, most often the developers just publish a working license key, for example Spider Player.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

juverax

#6 Post by juverax »

"Moonglow" Software?
Is the name a reference to the dance from the 1955 movie Picnic ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBoMIi8bYc ) ?
Who knows ... ?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

juverax wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:11 am Is the name a reference to the dance from the 1955 movie Picnic ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBoMIi8bYc ) ?
What an amazing scene. I'd never even heard of that movie before.

juverax

#8 Post by juverax »

Picnic (1955) is a very good movie indeed, and the dance scene is a great scene, very well done.
The first half of the movie is like a postcard of the Mid-West in the mid-fifties, and it reminded me of the year I spent in Kansas several years ago, in a sleepy little town with many grain elevators along the Missouri River and the railroad, very similar to what you can see in the movie. I consider it is a "must-see" movie.
My public library has the DVD.
Moonglow, the theme from Picnic by Morris Stoloff ( youtube-dl --merge-output-format mp4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAxJ93LzaaA ) is absolutely amazing, unsurpassed in this music genre ....
And that is why I reacted to the name "Moonglow Software" .....

juverax

#9 Post by juverax »

Picnic, the full movie is now available on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmD4CMOfokM
... the perfect movie for the long Labor Day weekend !