Nomad.NET - file manager

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
billon

Nomad.NET - file manager

#1 Post by billon »

http://www.nomad-net.info/about
Nomad.NET is the successor of Nomad, a powerful file manager. It is completely rewritten (no single line of code was taken from previous Nomad) using best ideas and algorithms and implementing everything in a completely new way.

New Nomad was developed with multi-threading in mind, so almost all long operations can take advantage of multi-core cpu (comparing, copying, searching, detecting archive format and so on - too many to list all of them here).

Features Overview:
  • Full Unicode support.
  • Tabbed interface. But in contrast to almost every other file manager tabs are not panel based.
  • Powerful bookmarks system. You can bookmark you favorite folders, ftp sites or even searches (yes, you can create virtual search folders).
  • One of the most powerful search engines on market (if I can say market, project is freeware). You can create very complex search rules, with ability to search in different encoding (complete encodings auto detect), use IFilter filters, apply custom text search rules (including regular expressions), search in hex, duplicates search and so on... For novices there is a simplified search that is not so scary at first sight.
  • Powerful filtering system, based on the same core as search. You can use dedicated advanced filter dialog, or use simple toolstrip for quick filtering.
  • Much simpler, elegant and polished UI (program must look nice, right?)
  • Customizable visual themes and icon packs. And you can even create your own themes and icon packs.
  • The most powerful toolbar you can even find in file manager.
  • Improved main form layout. You can use single panel or dual panel mode (horizontal or vertical). Each panel can have its own tree view that can be hidden or displayed horizontally or vertically. And you can even store your customized layouts for future use.
  • Ability to customize selected folders view and options (filter, sort, etc). This is unique feature and you cannot find it in other managers.
  • Program is highly customizable via Options dialog, including simple UI scaling according to your current system DPI settings (or manually).
  • Breadcrumb folder toolstrip on every panel is much more powerful than simple folder name.
  • Full internal support for many archive types (using 7-Zip libraries). Program can also handle WCX Total Commander plug-in, even in more powerful way than Total Commander did. You can view, create and edit archives.
  • FTP folders support (with limitations yet, for example, only one http proxy allowed with no UI to configure).
  • Many things were done more correctly - drag'n'drop from explorer, clipboard handling, shell file menus and so on.
  • Support for shell shortcuts, url shortcuts (ftp only) and even shell folder shortcuts (rarely supported in other file managers).
License:

Nomad.NET is freeware, you are free to use and distribute it, as long as you are not selling it for profit. There is no warranty or other guarantee of any kind, use it at your own risk.

Requirements:

Windows XP - 10
.NET Framework 2.0 or later

Download here (~3.8 MB)

Not tested

joby_toss

Re: Nomad.NET - file manager

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Tested (quickly, using Sandboxie) stable build 2.8.7.1740:
-on first run

-one can play with these variables

Verdict - portable, not stealth:

-settings saved in its own folder

-file created in AppData

-files modified (contain traces of .Net apps executed on the system)

-no specific registry entries, only traces

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

That was a really thorough test, great Job(y). :mrgreen:

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

:) Maybe we can move this to the submissions?

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote::) Maybe we can move this to the submissions?
Leaves way too many traces and touches too many Windows and .net framework files / folders...

error log in \AppData\Roaming\BMG\Nomad.NET\2.8.7.1740
user.config in \AppData\Local\BMG\Nomad.exe_Url_ykneukfrbsbql5uxfnnthg4thvu2p0ta\2.8.7.1740
ngen log in \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727
tons of stuff at \Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64:
2016-04-02_202335.jpg
2016-04-02_202335.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 11752 times

billon

#6 Post by billon »

May be it's because of checked "Optimize program binaries and files (recommended on first start)"? What about latest beta version?

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

billon wrote:May be it's because of checked "Optimize program binaries and files (recommended on first start)"? What about latest beta version?
Correct, if that option is unchecked, then it will not write to \Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64.

I got the same results for the beta version (3.2.0.2780)

billon

#8 Post by billon »

Thank you Baas and joby

smaragdus

Re: Nomad.NET 3.2.0.2890

#9 Post by smaragdus »

Nomad.NET version 3.2.0.2890 stable (final) has been released- announcement. It can be downloaded from FossHub. Latest changes:
Version 3.2 (3.2.0.2890 Final) - 13.16.2016
* Italian localization updated
* Show full version info when available (not only numbers but text too)
* Show Shield icon in Make Link Dialog when symbolic link selected and current account is limited
* Draw submenu arrows with corresponding theme color (instead of black)
- Bugfix: Use theme MenuText color in history and columns drop down menus
- Bugfix: Unable to delete unauthorized folder even after elevation (IOException thrown)
- Bugfix: Cannot load System.Design exception when opening Tools menu on machines with .net 4 client profile installed
- Bugfix: Unable to create symbolic link when application running under limited account (no elevation happen)
- Bugfix: Do not open bookmarks with shortcut key with Alt modifier in far panel
- Bugfix: Rare "An item with the same key has already been added" exception when using folder tree
- Bugfix: Do not show tooltips in tree view when item tooltips disabled in options
- Bugfix: Do not extract extensions from ftp folders with dot (i.e. folder.name)
- Bugfix: Bookmarks and tools bot copied to a user defined config folder during initial setup
- Bugfix: CmdPromptTabPlugin not working in Windows Vista and 7
- Regression bugfix: Location column is empty on folders found during search
- Other small and not so small unlisted bugfixes
In my setup the only file Nomad.NET created outside its program folder was an empty error-2016-06-12.log (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\BMG\Nomad.NET\3.2.0.2890\error-2016-06-12.log).

I did a superficial testing and I encountered some minor glitches- for example, some programs' icons (7-Zip, Bandizip, etc) don't appear at windows shell, while some others (SafeErase) are shown on files and not shown on folders. I also think that the "Up" button should be shown in the "Panel" tool-bar by default. The FTP client works but it is very basic in my opinion. All tabs are common to both panes (or I am missing something) which for me is not very handy. Before I submit any reports to the developer I need to test Nomad.NET more thoroughly.