Thindownload.com [discontinued]

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Kermode

#46 Post by Kermode »

Heh, I wonder if any body ever reads that GPL license file which they force people to include. Usually I just get rid of them as "incomprehensible nonsense" *g*

malikorx69

#47 Post by malikorx69 »

They should something for the GPL that provides the same function that EULAnalyzer does

portackager

#48 Post by portackager »

While they are portabilized with a trial version of thinstall, last time I check the time limit on the programs can be easily bypassed by a simple time/date trick. :shock:

Also pre-portablized softwares saves alot of time from doing it yourself, it's slow and isn't successful 100% of the time.

I've been using PDF X-change from the site in that way, before ithe authors made it portable.

malikorx69

#49 Post by malikorx69 »

I have access to the full version of Thinstall, through the school I work at. So I am able to Thinstall any application that I choose. At the moment, I have Thinstalled versions of Nero 8, Adobe Photoshop CS3, The GIMP, OpenOffice, ReGet, iTunes, TuneUp Utilities 2008, CCleaner, LimeWire, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Wise Disk Cleaner, and RogueRemover.

freakazoid

Re: ThinDownload

#50 Post by freakazoid »

malikorx69 wrote:Feel free to request apps to be made as stand-alone executable programs. The form is in the bottom left corner of the page at http://www.thindownload.com

Make sure that any submissions are freeware and open source. If the program is freeware but not open source, that is fine as long as it is free to distribute. This ensures that they can be added to The Portable Freeware Collection without violating any Terms of Use or Program Licenses.
you can also use geofox's request service:
http://thinload.freehostia.com/

don't let the web design fool you! it's a good service and geofox provides his thinstall builds in a timely manner (unlike ThinDownload).
is it stealth? ;)

DarkButterfly

#51 Post by DarkButterfly »

malikorx69 wrote:I own a copy of Thinstall and it works perfectly. I have only used it on a few apps. I have created Thinstalled versions of the following:

CCleaner
Nero 8
EasyCleaner
LimeWire
Recuva
Songbird
MSN Messenger
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
RocketDock

And before anyone asks, no I will not be making these available for download. That is against the license agreement that I agreed to when I purchased Thinstall.
I've tried to make thinstall versions of Nero 8 and other applications but when I test them, they just fail!!! When we make the post-install scan it puts everything needed into the thinstall capture folder, right? Then we just got to build it, right? Where do I fail? Could you tell me how you managed to make it work?

Thanks

moonmoon

#52 Post by moonmoon »

The Thinstall Management API is provided via a single DLL called ThinstallManageApi.dll
It is registered as a COM control using Regsvr32.

WhoCares

#53 Post by WhoCares »

Hi DarkButterfly,
I think your prob is the same other nero versions had before
Nero installs a low level driver that Thinstall can't virtualize in user mode
it was already with the 7th release and my test with No.6 get the same experience. If you really need something to burn do it like portableapps.com or look for a better replacement.

https://thinstall.com/thintalk/viewtopic.php?t=370

garbanzo

#54 Post by garbanzo »

the problem with Thinstall at the moment is that it's freely available on warez sites, so anyone can get it. and it's easy to use, so anyone can hack their way to a 'portable' app. most of the time, however, people don't know what they're doing and things don't work so good.

but that said, i have used thinstalled versions of commercial apps like Office 2007, Photoshop, Illustrator, and others. they were made by people who know what's going on, and they work great. in fact, they are smaller and much faster than the regular versions. of course, it's not legal to distribute them, so there's the catch.

it's a shame that the producers of these programs will never catch on, because Word and Photoshop are good programs. i've tried Oo Writer and The Gimp (both portable), but they simply don't compare. sigh...

Local

Quick note about thindownload.com

#55 Post by Local »

I dunno if anybody is still downloading or using this software but a quick heads up.
It appears that their apps were created using a trial of thinstall and their trial time is over.

I've tried both fresh downloads and older things I downloaded a while ago and all come up with trial expired messages.

thoubugyou

Thinstall Freeware Site

#56 Post by thoubugyou »

http://www.thinapp.blogspot.com

i recently found this neat site. similar to thindownload.com.