MS Security Essentials not safe anymore?

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

MS Security Essentials not safe anymore?

#1 Post by Midas »

I know there are a few users (me, for instance...) of MSSE among the regulars here at TPFC Forum, so I think this will be of interest to them:
Microsoft Security Essentials was the only entry to fail AV-Test's certification between September and October -- an embarrassing slip for the once well-regarded virus protection solution. [...] AV Comparatives is another firm who offers their own, independent anti-virus grading service. After recalling MSSE scoring very high marks with AV Comparatives back in 2009, I checked out the site's latest tests to get a second opinion. Curiously though, MSSE has been missing from tests at AV Comparatives since 2010.

Found via Wincert, thanks to Userfriendly.

guinness

Re: MS Security Essentials not safe anymore?

#2 Post by guinness »

Interesting! Thanks.

Userfriendly

#3 Post by Userfriendly »

Seriously though, there's isn't any anti-virus software that can detect everything. Malware coder's can possibly make something that shows up clean and undetected on https://www.virustotal.com/ or http://virusscan.jotti.org/. The difference between most antivirus software is their speed on updating their software to detect the newer malware. I would think half that effort relies on already infected users to upload samples for them to analyze.

It's not a bad idea to keep multiple scanners handy like malwarebytes, spybot and MSE. MSE/Windows defender isn't the best but its free. You can install it and disable the the real-time protection too free up cpu resources and just use it as an on-demand scanner and optionally use an alternative paid/free antivirus software on top of that. Some say Combofix but I wouldn't just use that casually. You'll need to know exactly what you're doing with it because it can potentially kill your OS. Combofix is usually used as a last resort. In those cases, it's best to just do a fresh install of windows or better yet, restore a cloned system image of an already configured OS install made with Acronis, Paragon, Macrium, DriveImageXML, Clonezilla, etc. or the built-in Windows backup.

Common sense is the best anti-virus. As a power user, I don't even have a realtime/background antivirus scanner and have UAC disabled. I occasionally scan with malwarebytes, spybot and MSE. If I need to use something shady, I run it through a sandbox via VM or sandboxie. Don't just blindly open every executable out there. Browse the web with javascript disabled with the help of NoScript and only enable on trusted sites.

Meanwhile there are people I know who have UAC on by default and run Norton, nod32, avast, avg, kaspersky and other stuff that have a crap ton of mind boggling malware like trojans and keyloggers messing up their system. Where do they catch this stuff?? I mean I probably go through warez and filesharing sites more than casuals do but I never get any OS crippling malware. I bet most of the malware comes from social engineering crap like phishing, fake websites selling antivirus software, scam emails and the like. Only idiots fall for that.

Most people use scanning speed and cpu/ram usage as a basis to compare everytime a "What's the best antivirus?" thread is made. Pointless if you ask me. What websites do they go to and what software do they use that somehow has malware in it? You know, so their preferred program gets some testing. It's always "oh i've been using kaspersky for years and my pc's been clean" or "Avast is great and uses few resources". If you haven't caught anything then how would you know if one antivirus software is better than the other? The only way to know is to read benchmarks online that test already known samples of malware and see if the various companies have their scan engines updated to detect them. Even then, rankings constantly change meaning there isn't one reliable software to use.

TL;DR: There's no reason not to use MSE because its free and is perfectly fine to run alongside third party scanners and there's no excuse to rely on it alone. Safe browsing habits, MSE + third party scanners is best way to go. You need trigger discipline to not accidentally shoot yourself. You'll want a riot shield to go along with that kevlar vest and helmet because none of them are completely bulletproof. Finally, situational awareness so you don't go running into a crossfire. Not one single Antivirus software will completely protect you. Just running the top rated antivirus sofware and thinking your perfectly safe to go ham on the internet is a bad assumption to make.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I agree, MSE accompanied with using your head whilst surfing and perhaps using hpHOSTS or MVPS HOSTS file(s) is pretty good not to caught by a virus.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

I use Windows Defender* myself, so this interests me. :)

I'm not worried about it, though. I have mentioned here my plan to eventually get completely rid of antivirus. I'm currently in the "don't use an antivirus which has a paid version" phase of my plan, which only leaves Windows Defender and ClamAV as options. AFAIK, Defender is still better of the two. (FYI, the final two phases of my plan are "only use an open source antivirus" and "don't use an antivirus at all").

* Windows Defender is MSE under Windows 8.
Userfriendly wrote: Meanwhile there are people I know who have UAC on by default and run Norton, nod32, avast, avg, kaspersky and other stuff that have a crap ton of mind boggling malware like trojans and keyloggers messing up their system. Where do they catch this stuff?? I mean I probably go through warez and filesharing sites more than casuals do but I never get any OS crippling malware. I bet most of the malware comes from social engineering crap like phishing, fake websites selling antivirus software, scam emails and the like. Only idiots fall for that.

Most people use scanning speed and cpu/ram usage as a basis to compare everytime a "What's the best antivirus?" thread is made. Pointless if you ask me. What websites do they go to and what software do they use that somehow has malware in it? You know, so their preferred program gets some testing. It's always "oh i've been using kaspersky for years and my pc's been clean" or "Avast is great and uses few resources". If you haven't caught anything then how would you know if one antivirus software is better than the other? The only way to know is to read benchmarks online that test already known samples of malware and see if the various companies have their scan engines updated to detect them. Even then, rankings constantly change meaning there isn't one reliable software to use.
QFT.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I though Windows Defender was discontinued and replaced with MSSE.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Userfriendly wrote:Common sense is the best anti-virus.
I couldn't agree more. 8)

OTOH, we always have to pay sloth's salary in sweat and aggravation...

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

At last some AV comparison that lists false positives. Though the results seem suspiciously low (In my personal experience the average was ~ 1/100, not 1/150000), which suggests that either my data is skewed (likely) or theirs (may be, they don't seem to publish any info about the test set) or both.

Midas

Re: Bitdefender Free x64

#9 Post by Midas »

WARNING: Discretion advised. In comparison with previous versions (or other anti-virus), the current free version of Bitdefender is severely pared down in terms of user interaction and there are almost no user configuration options; moreover, it is liable to block access to webpages and remove file objects it classifies as threats without notice or appeal.

Bitdefender has a well regarded x64 native free version, but unfortunately the most common found download link (http://www.bitdefender.pt/solutions/free.html) leads to a 404 error.

Anyone wanting to install it will have to download the 158KB web installer from:
http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/291 ... ee_edition

Run it to get the true installer (~8MB); after that, it will install OK. You'll still have to register an online account from the program's interface to extend the free version for more than a month -- you can use a disposable email address, if you want...

freakazoid

#10 Post by freakazoid »

Midas wrote:WARNING: Discretion advised. In comparison with previous versions (or other anti-virus), the current free version of Bitdefender is severely pared down in terms of user interaction and there are almost no user configuration options; moreover, it is liable to block access to webpages and remove file objects it classifies as threats without notice or appeal.
Cool. Bitdefender has been scoring pretty high lately and was thinking of giving it a shot. The only thing I don't like about this free version is the inability to configure anything. I'd like the ability to whitelist folders and files and to prompt me before anything is quarantined or deleted.
Midas wrote:Bitdefender has a well regarded x64 native free version, but unfortunately the most common found download link (http://www.bitdefender.pt/solutions/free.html) leads to a 404 error.

Anyone wanting to install it will have to download the 158KB web installer from:
http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/291 ... ee_edition
Check out this link instead:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsof ... 3936.shtml

Sorry, too lazy to open a new topic...

SYSTEM

#12 Post by SYSTEM »

My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsof ... 3936.shtml

Sorry, too lazy to open a new topic...
No problem, walk right in... ;)

Relevant part:
Basically, it all comes down to TOM-Skype, the Chinese version of the Microsoft VoIP platform that’s reportedly being used to tap a number of calls. What’s more, even if it looks just like the original Skype software, the Chinese tool comes with several filters that block specific content, but also with some other technologies which are believed to be used for tapping calls over the Internet. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that Skype could be used by the local government to record online conversations, even though there’s no evidence for that.

m^(2)

#14 Post by m^(2) »

Well, hardly surprising.
And I would find it hard to believe that the same isn't happening in the US.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Here comes the proof. Quite the shocker, isn't it?! :roll:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Student- ... 5617.shtml