WinTabber

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
webfork

WinTabber

#1 Post by webfork »

Was looking through the old site list thred and came across WinTabber (https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1329), which sounded cool. I've been looking for a program that will help me make my computer less distracting.

Here's the steps
  • Extracted
  • Moved WinTabber.exe to another, outside folder
  • Prompted me with some kind of license thing. Left box unchecked.
  • Program seem to never start so I re-ran. This time it gave me 3 options for serial, trial, or purchase. I did the trial of course
  • Program never seemed to start so I re-ran and the same thing happened.
Has anyone else tested this?

---

EDIT: Archive.org link: https://web.archive.org/web/20150214083 ... abber.com/
Last edited by webfork on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am Baas

Re: WinTabber

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Extraction doesn't work properly on the latest WinTabber version. You need to install it (sandboxed), copy WinTabber folder, delete sandbox. Then you would have to move cbars.ocx, cctls.ocx, cpane.ocx, cskin.ocx, and TabWindowControl.ocx from the lib folder to the main application folder. Launch wintabber.exe. You'll get a wizard like window... go for the trial option.

I did not test for portability nor for functionality though.

webfork

Re: WinTabber

#3 Post by webfork »

I retested 1.2.790 the latest version ... tried uniextract, PeaZip, Install-move-uninstall tests and nothing works. I need this because I have several LibreOffice files open at any given time so I'm working with the installer version and will try to submit a feature request to the author if I keep using it.

Problems - need to point out some of these as they're interfering with the rest of a great software program:
  • Crashy. Worse, when it crashes, it takes the windows that were open with it. In my case I had to End Task soffice.exe and then restart, which caused a doc recovery process to trigger.
  • Cuts the tops off Google Chrome: http://i.imgur.com/Xo8raZf.png
  • Sometimes when clicking from one window back to WinTabber, it won't come into focus. Have to click on the title bar
  • I tested out a firefox/chrome/IE view so that I could do some web testing. Firefox crashed frequently inside WinTabber

Features
  • Interface - basically makes any behave like OneNote's tab system by default, but enables a LOT of different tab views. The Visio view was especially cool: http://i.imgur.com/t7LdFXg.png ... jumping between tabs was SO simple. I'd love to have this for frequently working on a set of system specs where I have to rapidly jump between files.
  • The ability to set the Application icon to the current Icon tab is awesome. Makes it a lot less confusing when you're zipping around windows to track down a program.
  • Runs multiple instances (awesome)
  • Ctrl+(number) jumps to the listed tab
  • Once you have everything looking the way you want, you can get rid of the status AND menu bars, making the program a genuinely tabbed interface for your program. This helps avoid confusion between the two menus (for example on LibreOffice, there are two "View" menu options right on top of one another.

Wishlist
  • Obviously a portable version
  • Large icons (At least on my screen with LibreOffice) looked a bit blocky
  • Ability to open the program along with all the windows that were opened in the program at last launch
    - If this is possible, it would be even cooler to have it allow for multliple profiles
  • Allow multiple instances of the program
  • Static position of tabs when multi-row (right now the second row will bump up to the top so if you have 6 windows open in two rows (1, 2, 3 and then 5, 6, 7) then the second row will move up whenever you click on 5, 6, or 7 will move up when you click on any of them.