Uninstalling AOL!

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
portackager

Uninstalling AOL!

#1 Post by portackager »

Hello,

I'm having sort of a dejavu with the infamous AOL software.

After having it on my machine (unused for almost a year) I've finally decided to regain some HD space and uninstall this bad boy. Unfortunately my attempts have been unsuccessful, the uninstaller basically did nothing for the longest time. I remembered that I could use PC-Decrapfier, afterall it says on their page that it will remove AOL, but after actually using it, there was only options to remove Word 2003 and Empty Folders. Now that sure is a kick in the shin. :cry:

Does anyone know of a way to remove AOL? or atleast get the uninstaller to actually work.

I'm using Revo Uninstaller at the moment.

Local

#2 Post by Local »

Revo should pretty much do the job.

Just select advanced and after the uninstaller fails follow through and delete what is left over.

If there are stubborn entries try unlocker to delete any files and JV16's search or Regassassin to remove reg entries

Of course if all else fails:
dereks boot n nuke :twisted:

portackager

#3 Post by portackager »

After several Google searches and uninstall attempts (even with Revo), I finally gave in...

I searched my entire hard drive and registry for instances of "AOL" and "America online".

Then I wrote an AutoIt script to automate the process of elimination, by deleting everything from a text file (listing all the files and registry keys). Unfortunately I could not for the life of me automate the deletion of the registry keys, even after several hundred billion attempts, So instead I searched the registry using RegScanner by Nirsoft and deleted all the keys by hand using Regedit, and finally ran CCleaner to remove all the gunk left behind. AOL is by far the most obnoxious software I've ever come across. :roll:

I still feel there's more of AOL lurking around, but for now I'm gonna take a shower and then a vacation from computers for a couple of days. :x

LOL, my reinstall disc contains AOL and other pre-installed crap, so reinstalling is not an option. Thanks anyways local. :lol: